• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Getting confused by CPUs

Associate
Ok i have got the Intel I7 2700k Socket 1155 LGA chip and have had it for some time its been a great chip but ive now maxed out what my mobo, an ASRock H61M-GS can handle. I bought it back in jan 2013 ive upgraded the memory and the gfx now and it cant take any more :(.

Now ive been checking the specs of my chip with other chips on a website called CPUBoss but the results are odd, it seems none of the current CPUs are significantly better than mine. Is the site misrepresenting things or am i just missing something?

Is there a way i could get more life out of my chip by finding a newer motherboard for it that supports DDR4 memory? or a faster Grfx card, currently an R9 380 with 4gb ram?

Many thanks for your help, hoping i can just get a newer mobo but my quick search looking for something with the same socket is proving difficult.

Cheers
Brian.

Man of Honour
You could find a Z68 or Z77 motherboard and Overclock your cpu but they are only found second hand but none of them support ddr4 memory.

A faster graphics card , what res you gaming at and how does your 380 perform ?

Soldato
The 2700K is still a very good chip. For a multitude of reasons there hasn't been much progress on the Intel side of things for the last 6 years.

Socket 1155 mobos were discontinued on the launch of Haswell in mid 2013.

You could buy a 2nd hand P67/Z68/Z77 motherboard and overclock your CPU, buy a newer mobo, cpu and ram (be it new or 2nd hand) or just upgrade your GPU. If you are gaming then a GPU upgrade would be the next step.

And BTW CPUBoss is an awful website.

Associate
I usually look at spending around £150.00 no more than £200 if i can help it.
Maybe consider selling that 2700k and adding that £200 for a Ryzen 5 upgrade?

A R5 1600 would cost approx £200, a B350 motherboard for around £100.

It's the ram prices that may sting a bit but you would get a brand new platform with all the goodies and a upgrade path for the future. I would struggle to put £200 into an old platform.

Just a thought but I fully understand if you wouldn't go that route.

Associate
I would first like to know if you have an SSD - suprising how much faster it would make your machine feel.

Second question - how much Ram do you have and what speed? If you are still on less than 8gb you need to upgrade this asap - many games will use more than 8gb given half a chance so even if you do 16gb would not go a miss here.

If you have done both the above then great - I would then consider an upgrade to a nvidia 1060/AMD 580 to get some reasonable gains in games.

Associate
OP
Aye i have an SSD and 16gb of Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600mhz which is the most my pc will support.

I might just continue to wait. Its just hard when putting someone elses machine together. All nice clean case and shiny mobo.

Thanks for all the advice, ill keep putting money in the pot for another year and see where we are then. But if games do start to run poorly ill look at a gfx card upgrade.

Cheers
Brian.

Associate
I would stick with what you have regarding board and CPU, I would just get the best GPU or can in your budget and that would be the rx470/570. The cost of a whole new system just wouldn't be worth it for the gains your likely to get

Soldato
Yep, can confirm with a 4.5ghz 2600K and a 480 my rig runs everything I've tried really well including Deus Ex, Doom etc. Well worth overclocking for the performance boost.

Soldato
Similar story to Reflux - i have an inferior clocked [email protected] coupled with a GTX 1070 playing all games at ULTRA at 1440p. It's nuts - but great. Although, it has run roughshod over any valid reasons i had for upgrading :/

So, I now love and hate my 2500k with equal measure :)

Soldato
I have a 2600k clocked at 4.6GHz paired with a GTX 1080 and it's still smashing games at 1440p. The cost of a worthy upgrade is pretty huge, and yeah I might improve my minimum and average fps but neither of which are a problem at all for me right now.

Back
Top Bottom