Associate
Bought my graphics card last week and bought my first game for PC . Came to play it and there are horizontal waves running down the screen.

I've tried looking into things like screen tearing , but quite frankly i haven't idea what to do.

my system is :

i5 6600
Sapphire nitro rx 580 LE latest driver installed
kingston fury 16gb
asus h110-ddr4
coolermaster nepton 120xl
windows 7 ultimate
550w superflower psu
HP S2031 - 60hz refresh

The game in question is Hitman .Currently im running it on dx11 (dx12 windows 10 only ?)
using an old monitor with resolution of 1600x900 with a vga output to hdmi adapter direct to GPU

Game is installed via steam .

Hitman settings

v-sync - on
v-sync interval - 1 (100% fps)
HDR - off
super sampling -1
level of detail -ultra
anti-aliasing- SMAA
texture quality- high
texture filter- ansiotropic 16x
SSAO- ON
Shadow maps- ultra
shadow resolution -high
override memory safeguards- no

Radeon settings

anti aliasing - use application settings
anti aliasing method - multi sampling
morphological filtering - off
anisotropic filtering mode - use application settings
texture filtering quality - standard
surface format optimization - on
wait for vertical refresh - off unless application specifies
OpenGL Triple Buffering - off
Shader Cache - amd optimized
Tessellation mode - amd optimized.
Frame Target control - disabled

When i run the benchmark that comes with hitman im averaging about 55 FPS , is this about right ?

Im trying to give as much information as possible hopefully someone can help.Appreciate this is a lengthy post but id really like to play Hitman without seeing these lines.

Thanks In advance

Man of Honour
Turn of all anti-aliasing, texture filter- ansiotropic, v-sync , set detail to low and see if hitman runs smoother and how many fps you get.

Lets us know the results.

Associate
OP
just tried the following

Hitman settings

v-sync - off
v-sync interval - 1 (100% fps)
HDR - off
super sampling -1
level of detail - low
anti-aliasing- off
texture quality- low
texture filter- ansiotropic 2x
SSAO- Off
Shadow maps- low
shadow resolution -low
override memory safeguards- no

average frames went to 88 lines are still there.

to be honest im quite happy running at the 55ish FPS i just want rid of the lines.
Also is it worth going to windows 10. I hate the interface but directX 12 seems a lot more popular now

Associate
OP
just done the benchmark there , everything set to ultra v sync off , it was hitting 72 fps average .added v sync and it dropped to 56.lines still there
Think this may be a monitor / adapter issue .

Soldato
Yup, that worked. Well, if the lines disappear in Windows and only appear when gaming it is most likely a GPU fault, although you say it only happens in one game?

Soldato
Was the card new? How comfortable are you in opening up the PC? I'd suggest you take out the GPU and run the game from the IGP on the CPU. If the lines disappear then it's a GPU issue, if not - well - it could be a number of things :)

Soldato
I'd suggest you take out the GPU and run the game from the IGP on the CPU. If the lines disappear then it's a GPU issue, if not - well - it could be a number of things :)
I may be wrong as i'm unfamiliar with the board - so kick me to touch if i'm wrong :)

Is there a chance he may be able to just plug the cable into the onboard outlet and the MB will adjust automagically? The amount of posts i see where someones got poor gfx performance and it turns out they've plugged it into the onboard by mistake indicates that some modern motherboards still allow a straight swap if it's not been disabled in the BIOS.

If not he may be able to adjust the BIOS setting to enable onboard or disable 'always enable external GPU' (or similar)?

May be easier guiding him through the BIOS than removing the card - swings and roundabouts admittedly though :)

Associate
OP
Yeah im comfortable taking it all apart wont be tonight thought because ive got an exam in the morning :( just noticed the lines are there on windows , its just harder to see with a brighter background.starting to think its the monitor , the DVI port didnt work on it anyway and i cant imagine VGA to hdmi adapter is the optimal solution anyway.GPU is brand new.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom