My son wants an Android - I have some questions

Soldato
My son, has an iPhone 5S, we're predominately an iOS house. Like all of us (Mum, dad, 10yr old and himself a 12yr old) all have iOS devices. Both my boys have iPhone 5S's 16gb and iPad airs.

But he for whatever reason my 12yr old who's a bit a techy by nature wants an Android ??

He says the iPhone 5S, just doesn't cut it for him.. Fair doo's. 16gb is a bit naff. I was thinking of getting something used like an old Android LG G3, which apparently takes a micro SD card... I don't want to spoil him by getting him a new Edge S8 or whatever is all the rage in the Android world today.. He's TWELVE !!

But really not sure what i'm getting myself into... Been an avid Apple iOS owner for the last 10. Never looked at an Android.

What exactly would he be missing out on, if i got him like an 'affordable' older handset like a G3 ?

Soldato
Not much apart from LG not really supporting the G3 any more. The G3 was a good phone but considering it's age I would look for a new battery as a second hand one would have degraded a fair bit.

How much have you found the G3 for? The Moto G5 is around £150 odd (the 2gb RAM version) and would be my pick for a cheapish phone.

Actually specs wise it's not that bad compared to the G3: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8454&idPhone2=6294

The Moto G4 is also very good for the price but it's bigger as well, not sure if your son could handle a phone that size.

Associate
Facetime is about the only thing you don't have on android.
You're better off getting something new(ish) or Moto based as android updates can be hit and miss depending on the device

Associate
Isn't the Moto G5 the best budget phone there is today? I would suggest that for a first handset. Also get your whole family to download WhatsApp, he won't have imessage and FaceTime but this will be a great substitute.

Soldato
My son, has an iPhone 5S, we're predominately an iOS house. Like all of us (Mum, dad, 10yr old and himself a 12yr old) all have iOS devices. Both my boys have iPhone 5S's 16gb and iPad airs.

But he for whatever reason my 12yr old who's a bit a techy by nature wants an Android ??

He says the iPhone 5S, just doesn't cut it for him.. Fair doo's. 16gb is a bit naff. I was thinking of getting something used like an old Android LG G3, which apparently takes a micro SD card... I don't want to spoil him by getting him a new Edge S8 or whatever is all the rage in the Android world today.. He's TWELVE !!

But really not sure what i'm getting myself into... Been an avid Apple iOS owner for the last 10. Never looked at an Android.

What exactly would he be missing out on, if i got him like an 'affordable' older handset like a G3 ?

Lenovo P2. Just for the battery alone.

Associate
I got my son at 12, a Moto G4 last August and its recently updated to Nougat which my wife's Note 4 can't even have. The screen is 5.5" which is great for gaming and media, and it has a micro-sd slot.

Soldato
Maybe look at the Moto G4? Just bought one for my dad for £140 on Amazon as the old phone I gave him, a Note4 bit the dust.

The camera isn't all that (compared to high end phones), battery life is excellent and the OS itself is very nippy and smooth. It doesn't have an AMOLED screen though but an IPS one like IPhones do.

It takes an sd card too and uses micro USB for charging purposes. I've been more than surprised at what £140 got me tbh. Try and find out why he wants an Android phone though, it is a bit odd given your household is primarily iOS focused!

PS. Grab a tempered glass protector for whatever you buy. It's always good to have a second layer to protect the main screen from scratches. Especially if the owner is a 12yr old!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Lenovo P2 - £200

AMOLED screen - unheard of at this price point
5.5" screen - again unheard of at this price point
3 day battery - unheard of at any price point
4GB of RAM - unheard of at this price point

i don't know why people are suggesting other phones tbh the lenovo P2 is where it's at for cheap budget smartphone with high end spec.

Soldato
Lenovo P2 - £200

i don't know why people are suggesting other phones tbh the lenovo P2 is where it's at for cheap budget smartphone with high end spec.

it's a very good and well rounded phone for the money :) You're pushing it a bit with all those unheard ofs though lol

Caporegime
Lenovo P2 - £200

Unheard of is a bit of a stretch.

Caporegime
Unheard of is a bit of a stretch.

not really - show me a brand new phone that even comes close for less than £300

bare in mind this is brand new and only £200

oh and it has to be from a legit UK retailer too. none of this chinese website malarkey as the lenovo p2 is direct from any 3 store or their website

Last edited:
Soldato
my vernee apollo is an all metal phone, 5.5" 2k display, 4gb ram, 64gb storage, 21mp back camera with a decacore meditek chipset which is a chunk faster than the p2. its £240 for EU gearbest.

Not saying it's the phone to buy of course, but most (except possibly the battery life) of the P2s specs are available in some form in other phones in that price range. P2 is still a great phone of course and i dont disagree its probably the best buy for the money.

Associate
For a first time android user I would go for something conventional with good support over specs, like a moto G5. For best specs per £ I'd get a lenovo zuk z2 for £150 at banggood. Tbh high spec phones are overrated most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom