New Laptop stuck on Windows 10 setup

Associate
I got a new Dell XPS 9360 laptop which arrived today. I was going through the initial setup where you connect to WiFi and tell Microsoft not to steal all your private data. Before it can finish I get the blue screen error and it restarts. Now its stuck on the 'Getting Started' message where its now been for over an hour. I've tried several hard restarts without any improvement.

Isn't there a recovery partition I can boot from the reinstall Windows 10? Appreciate any advise on this one. Plan B is to return this beautiful brick back to Dell.

Associate
OP
I tried Dell technical support chat. This is where things get a bit weird. The first number was not recognised, and the second one dials a disabled stairlift company. Am i being trolled by Dell?
Code:
Session Started with Agent (MYRA_SANGIL)
Goldy: " Dell XPS 13 arrived today. Started on the initial setup but it had blue screen error before finishing. Not laptop is stuck in 'Getting Started' screen."
Agent (MYRA_SANGIL): "Thank you for contacting Dell WorkStation Basic Warranty Support. My name is MYRA."
Agent (MYRA_SANGIL): "I'll be glad to assist you with this issue. Based on the record, it shows that it's XPS 13 9360 with service tag H0KTWF2 , is this the computer you need assistance with?"
Goldy: "Yes"
Agent (MYRA_SANGIL): "Thanks for confirming that."
Agent (MYRA_SANGIL): "I would like to help you further by pointing you to the right department where your concern will be best handled. For assistance with this, please contact the Dell Customer Care Department at (800) 624-9897. They are open from Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 9"
Goldy: "That number is not recognised"
Goldy: "Are you sure its correct?"
Agent (MYRA_SANGIL): "Checking."
Goldy: "I am in UK"
Agent (MYRA_SANGIL): "I see."
Agent (MYRA_SANGIL): "Please contact Dell UK instead at 00-800-228-93355"
Agent (MYRA_SANGIL): "Would there be anything else I could help you at this time?"
Agent (MYRA_SANGIL): "By the way, you can always get support for your laptop, including diagnostic tests, drivers, downloads, how-to articles, videos, FAQs and community forums through Dell’s support page at www.dell.com/support . Thank you for choosing Dell. Have a great day!"
Bye :)

Soldato
There should be a recovery partition you can boot into, spam the F8 key when turning on the PC and see if that offers the option to start the recovery. Might take you a few goes to get the timing right. But the Dell site states that's for Vista, 7 and 8 only, while for 10 it requires you to already be on the desktop :confused:.

If all else fails you can always create a bootable USB/disk with the Windows 10 installer and just do a clean install.

Associate
OP
I could reinstall Windows 10 from the bootable USB but then I would lose all that Dell bloatware I was promised? It's got some fancy'killer' WiFi + Blueteeth card, surely that will need proprietary software to keep it in check.

Soldato
As above, they can be found here: http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk...t/product/xps-13-9360-laptop/drivers/advanced

The Killer stuff is found under the network section. But from experience and everyone else on the forum, the Killer software is pants. It does more harm than good, you're better off using the standalone drivers and keeping the Killer software off.

There actually is a recovery image under the Operating System section so you could use that to restore the default Dell Windows 10.

Soldato
I would return it to Dell, you shouldn't have to be re installing windows when you have not even used it.

Would make you wonder why its having issues when its not been used.

Associate
I would return it to Dell, you shouldn't have to be re installing windows when you have not even used it.

What he said! A new laptop going to Blue Screen on the first boot isn't right and it needs to be returned.

Soldato

But that fresh windows install, I'd give it a day and try and fix it myself first personally, I know you shouldn't have to but returning it is only going to take longer.

Soldato
But that fresh windows install, I'd give it a day and try and fix it myself first personally, I know you shouldn't have to but returning it is only going to take longer.

what i said is just my personal choice really.

If the laptop has taken a knock in transit but does not show any signs of damage on the box or laptop it could explain why its having issues booting and giving BSOD. If i had spent a lot of money on a laptop i would rather wait to get a replacement than keep the current one.

Soldato
what i said is just my personal choice really.

If the laptop has taken a knock in transit but does not show any signs of damage on the box or laptop it could explain why its having issues booting and giving BSOD. If i had spent a lot of money on a laptop i would rather wait to get a replacement than keep the current one.

True, I thought it was just a bad Windows 10 install if it could possibly be something else then yes take it back.

Back
Top Bottom