***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Soldato
Was so close to buying the agon as i am sick of waiting on vega lol. But then with hearing that vega news might come out on the 16th i have managed to hold off. Just hope the price doesnt go back up. Hows the monitor for ghosting etc?

Associate
Was so close to buying the agon as i am sick of waiting on vega lol. But then with hearing that vega news might come out on the 16th i have managed to hold off. Just hope the price doesnt go back up. Hows the monitor for ghosting etc?

Latest rumor has it that Vega will be limited to 16.000 units at launch, because of HBM shortage. So actual availability of these unicorns might be more like mid july to early august, if past experiences are anything to go by.

Associate
I would watch the PCM review videos for an idea. I've never noticed any of the "weaknesses" while playing games on this monitor (BF1 and Dirt 3 currently). I have briefly gone looking for things like ghosting etc as described in the reviews, but I think its pretty minor really.
In BF1 I have set everything to high except post processing which I have set to low, it really does still look pretty good with those settings and my 2600k/1070 can comfortably run mostly over 90FPS like that.
You do definitely get the odd weird flash/flick/twitch in menus and loading screens but gameplay is lovely.
Personally I have found that the move from a 60hz high latency monitor to this one has made a difference to my gameplay. Specifically to close combat SMG type close quarter encounters, with a higher K/D ratio and a good number of top 10 placings at the end of the round.

Soldato
Yeah, but on top of that there is that Acer that does 120hz which may come at a massive premium if it ever his our shelves but I can't help but feel it might be worth the wait. Fixes some issues too apparently

Associate
I would watch the PCM review videos for an idea. I've never noticed any of the "weaknesses" while playing games on this monitor (BF1 and Dirt 3 currently). I have briefly gone looking for things like ghosting etc as described in the reviews, but I think its pretty minor really.
In BF1 I have set everything to high except post processing which I have set to low, it really does still look pretty good with those settings and my 2600k/1070 can comfortably run mostly over 90FPS like that.
You do definitely get the odd weird flash/flick/twitch in menus and loading screens but gameplay is lovely.
Personally I have found that the move from a 60hz high latency monitor to this one has made a difference to my gameplay. Specifically to close combat SMG type close quarter encounters, with a higher K/D ratio and a good number of top 10 placings at the end of the round.

What's the colours like on the AOC? Coming from an IPS I'm not sure about the VA Panels.... read response times aren't great and colours do become washed out slightly off head on.

Associate
Whatever variation there is I haven't been drawn to anything noticeably washed out in any area of the screen at the angles you might expect sat in front of it. To be honest I was expecting to be able to see viewing angles affect the image more than they seem to. I may not be the best judge, to my eyes it is more vibrant than the Dell 2408 I had before it but that is also a VA variant. The only IPS display I can compare it to is the one on my LG G5 which I suspect looks better than just about any large monitor.
In short, if it is in any way washed/inaccurate out I either can't tell or don't care enough to look for it.

Caporegime
OP
The LG G5 display has some strong points for a phone display but its calibration is beyond terrible and not really a good way of comparing it to monitors especially when the PPI is considerably higher than any monitor/TV display.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10217/the-lg-g5-review/4

When both the VA and IPS monitors are calibrated, head on, they should look very good with the VA being better for dark/black content, if viewing at an angle then IPS is better.

Associate
The G5 does indeed test badly and is a poor device type to compare it with but its what I have in the same room and regardless of its test metrics, it is pleasant to use.
With a screen this big there are always going to be bits of the screen you are not seeing head on (curved or not) some of the reviews/comments suggest this results in massively noticeable variation, I don't think it is.
For simple tests like lagom contrast, white balance and viewing angle tests these all get better results than the old Dell did on the settings I have chosen. Nothing on there resulted in me thinking "oh dear this monitor is really not good at that".

Associate
Im also very interested in that samsung CF791. it seems like the best of all worlds for me at the minute although the Predator z35P does sound great also, if it ever gets released!

Soldato
Just got my AOC AG352UCG 35" 1440p 100hz 21:9 monitor, loving the ultrawide already! so much more screen space, only problem is one stuck pink pixel at the top right :( would this be enough to make others return for replacement? or would 1 stuck pixel not bother you?

Go on youtube and run the pixel unstuck video on that spot and see if it fixes it.

Edit: Also 1 stuck pixel at top right wouldn't be enough for me to return it probably, aslong as it's away to edge or something like that. As long as backlight bleed is minimal and everything else is good.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-2...-widescreen-led-gaming-monitor-mo-14f-lg.html

Also guys, this monitor has now hit OCUK what are thoughts on this? it's LG's new offering includes freesync.

Looking for ultrawide that isn't too costly and is 1080p. I'd like a bigger ultrawide but 1440p is too rich for my blood and the hardware to drive it would be more costly ofc.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Associate
Go on youtube and run the pixel unstuck video on that spot and see if it fixes it.

Edit: Also 1 stuck pixel at top right wouldn't be enough for me to return it probably, aslong as it's away to edge or something like that. As long as backlight bleed is minimal and everything else is good.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-2...-widescreen-led-gaming-monitor-mo-14f-lg.html

Also guys, this monitor has now hit OCUK what are thoughts on this? it's LG's new offering includes freesync.

Looking for ultrawide that isn't too costly and is 1080p. I'd like a bigger ultrawide but 1440p is too rich for my blood and the hardware to drive it would be more costly ofc.

Thoughts?

Tried that and didn't work, anyway I have my replacement now came today, and touch wood so far it all seems perfect :D loving it

Caporegime
OP
The 29" 2560x1080 screens are one of the few monitors priced "correctly", more so when they around the £250 mark, which I think ocuk do quite often.... Especially since the IPS panel being used is one of best for IPS i.e. a high contrast ratio (the highest I've seen for IPS at around 1200/1300:1), low input lag (you will need to check reviews etc. on this though, a lot of the monitors despite using the same panel can range from very low input [5-10ms] to high input lag [20+ms]) combined with decent pixel response rate + the lightest anti glare matte finish with a decent PPI of 95 to give a sharp looking display.

Generally the only complaints people have with a 2560x1080 29" screen are:

- the physical height
- the 1080 vertical res. (which imo isn't an issue at all unless you are someone who just has to have 4+ windows opened at the same time in every corner of screen.....)

Associate
Hi Peeps, I am looking for some advice, as I am very much out of the loop. I am currently running a Dell 2405FPW and a Dell 2208 all via a Radeon 6850. I would like to consolidate to one monitor with a resolution of 3440x1440.

The monitor will be used for standard desktop work, watching the occasional film and no gaming.

I have been in looking at the Dell 34 u3417w and like the PiP feature and controlling two PCs ( I work from home a lot and this would be a handy feature)

What monitor would you recommend based on the above information?

Also the graphics card, I presume I will need to upgrade to cope with the resolution? any advice on this also would be grateful.

Thanks

P

Caporegime
Hi Peeps, I am looking for some advice, as I am very much out of the loop. I am currently running a Dell 2405FPW and a Dell 2208 all via a Radeon 6850. I would like to consolidate to one monitor with a resolution of 3440x1440.

The monitor will be used for standard desktop work, watching the occasional film and no gaming.

I have been in looking at the Dell 34 u3417w and like the PiP feature and controlling two PCs ( I work from home a lot and this would be a handy feature)

What monitor would you recommend based on the above information?

Also the graphics card, I presume I will need to upgrade to cope with the resolution? any advice on this also would be grateful.

Thanks

P
If you're not gaming then you don't need something particularly grunty to run it if it's just static windows. What have you got at the moment? (sigs are off for me)

Soldato
The 29" 2560x1080 screens are one of the few monitors priced "correctly", more so when they around the £250 mark, which I think ocuk do quite often.... Especially since the IPS panel being used is one of best for IPS i.e. a high contrast ratio (the highest I've seen for IPS at around 1200/1300:1), low input lag (you will need to check reviews etc. on this though, a lot of the monitors despite using the same panel can range from very low input [5-10ms] to high input lag [20+ms]) combined with decent pixel response rate + the lightest anti glare matte finish with a decent PPI of 95 to give a sharp looking display.

Generally the only complaints people have with a 2560x1080 29" screen are:

- the physical height
- the 1080 vertical res. (which imo isn't an issue at all unless you are someone who just has to have 4+ windows opened at the same time in every corner of screen.....)

Yeah I am coming from a 24" and would like an extra inch say vertically but don't really have money to jump to 1440p 32" ultrawide and upgrade my hardware to push those extra pixels.

I guess I could always just opt for a 27" 1440p non ultrawide, but 27" IPS 1440p is like the same price.

I'm set on the IPS at least, I really would like better colors. I work with photoshop occasionally and would prefer it to a 120 quid TN ASUS I got 2 years ago lol.

Back
Top Bottom