• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1080 to 1080Ti a worthy upgrade?

Soldato
OP
Which i7 CPU should I be looking at folks? An i7 6600k from what little research I have done would be useful if I was doing massive amounts of rendering and creative work but for gaming it seems unnecessary.

Associate
I went from a Zotac 1080 AMP (non extreme) that ran at 80C and therefore didn't overclock to the 1080Ti Auros. Average 35% increase at 1440p, when factoring in the sale of the 1080 it was worth it for me personally. This card runs much cooler too.

As above there seems to be a slow trend of multicore adoption with BF1, Ghost Recon Wildlands and Mass Effect Andromeda all benefiting from the extra threads. There are of course still many games that won't use more than a few threads though.

Last edited:
Soldato
I made the jump from 1080 to Ti... Really wouldn't recommend it to anybody, was very underwhelmed lol
40% increase in min frame rates sounds worth it if thats possible and his res is high
gold sovereigns. ok well maybe volta will not be so long to be burying the money.

Personally I would not unless your favourite game needs it. I only really like the new tech change overs where it can break in standards that last for years but sounds like you wont switch from nvidia for vega

Associate
A 1080 Ti will definitely produce more heat (250-300W compared to the 1080's 180W). Since you're using an mATX case, you should get an AIO cooler or the FE cooler. It is also the best upgrade for your current PC, because if you spent the money on a new CPU like the 7700K and faster RAM, you wouldn't see nearly as much of a performance increase. Given the resolution of your monitor, a 1080 Ti's horsepower would not be wasted.

Soldato
A £600 card should really have you sitting pretty for two years. The 1080 is out, what, 11-12 months, right?

If you're putting most of your spare time into this then it's reasonably justified, just remember there's Volta in a few months...

Back
Top Bottom