DOOM Loading Times

Associate
Has anybody else had problems with DOOM on Steam? For some reason the game takes a long time to load up to the main menu and even when booting into single player or multiplayer.

When trying multiplayer before the screen went black and then the loading screen appeared and the sound was jittering and lagging, the loading percentage was going really slow after waiting almost 5 mins for it to load, so I ended up ending the process in task manager.

Any ideas? Specs in sig.

Soldato
Check integrity of the game via Steam see if it re-downloads any files, have you got the same issue with other games?

Never had any issues with loads times, DOOM is probably the smoothest new game I've played in years compared to other AAA titles.

Associate
OP
Check integrity of the game via Steam see if it re-downloads any files, have you got the same issue with other games?

Never had any issues with loads times, DOOM is probably the smoothest new game I've played in years compared to other AAA titles.
Currently checking the integrity now to see if that makes a difference, all other games work perfectly as expected.

When the game finally boots its really smooth also for me, just the load times are awful.

Could it be because the game is that big its just taking time to load and compile?

Associate
OP
Update. After checking the integrity via Steam it still took around 2-4mins to boot to menu, after launching from the desktop icon nothing happened for about 60secs but it was running in my processes, then it went black for almost another 60secs then went to the loading screen which took a while also.

Man of Honour
There is a bug with Doom - in beta the first few attempts to load it often failed and would be very slow, but would get progressively further each time until you were loading in properly (and quickly) and even on release some people seem to be affected by a variant of the bug - it should clear up within 10 start ups of the game - assuming that is the problem.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/379720/discussions/0/357286119104048151/

Associate
OP
I will continue to test loading it up and post progress if the boot times become faster, just don't fancy reinstalling the game, its huge haha

Associate
OP
Mine's pretty slow to launch and load levels on despite being installed on an SSD. Can remember when I first saw it on a friend's setup it was the same. Always assumed that's just how this game was...
I've been reading online about the issue all afternoon on the Steam forums and a lot of people have had the same exact problem, even players who have way better specs than myself.

Soldato
You are loading it from an SSD right? I tried playing it when my SSD was away on RMA on a normal 7,200RPM drive and the load times were abysmally slow.

Associate
OP
You are loading it from an SSD right? I tried playing it when my SSD was away on RMA on a normal 7,200RPM drive and the load times were abysmally slow.
Not got an SSD atm, looking on grabbing one soon. Out of all the games I have, DOOM seems to only give me this problem, so it cant be the HDD. Suppose an SSD would be the fix to speed up the load times, but surely a standard HDD would be fast enough to boot a game to the menu.

Man of Honour
It has to be on your end, Doom loads from SSD for me in about 4-5 seconds. It's an incredibly quick loading game.

Its a known issue - mine was incredibly slow for the first few times and now loads in seconds - while other people have very different results. I don't think its down to anyone's setup specifically.

Associate
OP
Its a known issue - mine was incredibly slow for the first few times and now loads in seconds - while other people have very different results. I don't think its down to anyone's setup specifically.
Sounds to me then that its a compile issue, the more you compile and boot the game the faster it will run after a few times. Gonna do some testing today and try get my head around it.

Back
Top Bottom