Mini-Review: Samsung 40KU6400 as a monitor

Associate
Associate
I went out yesterday and got 2 of these myself. I see prices quoted under £400, but I paid 445 per for mine with 6 years warranty. I also invested in a couple of desk stands with tilt/swivel features and so far I am really happy. I am actually very pleasantly surprised how well matched the 2 units are for colour which was a nice "bonus".

I was ready to pay the premium prices (>£1,000 per) for some really nice monitors. I was looking at the LG 32UD99, however when you consider the lack of support for all the emerging technologies (proper HDR with support via all interfaces) and the truly disappointing warranty offered for a premium class of monitor it made more sense to invest in these TVs for now and wait until the features are properly implemented and readily available.

So far I am extremely pleased with what I've seen for productivity purposes (only casual gamer and gaming has been covered already). The 40 inch size also offers good pixel density and allows the use of 100% scaling, maximising the use of the extra workspace. Having said that I suspect 32inches would also work really well too.

All in all I can add to existing people's suggestion and say that it's well worth giving these a try, and this comes from someone that was very sceptical to begin with.

Associate
Update for anyone who's interested. I'm now running mine at 4k 60Hz from my old R9 280X card by using this Club3D DisplayPort™ 1.2 to HDMI™ 2.0 4K60Hz UHD Active Adapter and a 2m HDMI "high speed" cable, thereby converting my graphics card's displayport 1.2 into HDMI 2.0.

Previously when using my graphics card's HDMI 1.4 output I could only achieve 30Hz at 4k.

I'm having this issue with a 290x at the moment - sorry to sound dense but I've purchased the same active DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter however can still only set 4k @ 30hz. Do I need a "High Speed" HDMI cable as well? What version AMD Drivers are you running?

Soldato
I'm having this issue with a 290x at the moment - sorry to sound dense but I've purchased the same active DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter however can still only set 4k @ 30hz. Do I need a "High Speed" HDMI cable as well? What version AMD Drivers are you running?

In theory I believe that all HDMI cables should be the same, but according to the blurb in the club3D adapted, some are faster than others. Apparently ones labelled as "high speed" are guaranteed to achieve HDMI 2.0 standard.

Sorry to ask an obvious question, have you tried manually setting the refresh rate to 60Hz in the Windows Monitor settings? There is a specific drop-down box to set it, and mine was still set at 30Hz when I first plugged in the adapter.

Associate
Yeah, the dropdown only gives me options between 23 - 30hz. Have a high-speed cable turning up today so will report back. Do you mind me asking which drivers you're running?

Edit: Sorted. Hi-speed cable and a driver upgrade to the latest beta drivers seems to have done the job.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi, guys.
Thank you op and the others who shared their experience. I was thinking about +£1k 21:9 moniotor, but had major problem to stomach the price. Will try TV instead, ordered UE43KS7500. Currently have Asus PG278Q, so it will be transition from very quick screen, just hope that picture quality will blow me away;) Rog Swift is staying put however, in case it won't work for me. Bring on Wednesday:)

Soldato
Yeah, the dropdown only gives me options between 23 - 30hz. Have a high-speed cable turning up today so will report back. Do you mind me asking which drivers you're running?

Edit: Sorted. Hi-speed cable and a driver upgrade to the latest beta drivers seems to have done the job.

Glad to hear it. Any idea which it was that fixed it?

My AMD driver version is apparently 22.19.157.3. I'm using an MSI R280X

Associate
Is this worthwhile if 90% of you computer time is gaming ? or should i be looking at moving to 1440/144 or ultrawide monitors ?

I'm currently using 5760x1080 Triplescreen via a 1080 but one monitor has packed up :(

Soldato
Hi, guys.
Thank you op and the others who shared their experience. I was thinking about +£1k 21:9 moniotor, but had major problem to stomach the price. Will try TV instead, ordered UE43KS7500. Currently have Asus PG278Q, so it will be transition from very quick screen, just hope that picture quality will blow me away;) Rog Swift is staying put however, in case it won't work for me. Bring on Wednesday:)

Interested to see how you get on with it. The KS7500 is VA and you're coming from TN, so you should see some improvement with colours and definitely blacks. It is a big speed drop though, down to 60Hz from 144Hz, so that may be obvious to you. Refresh rate can be very subjective though, some people notice it far more than others in my experience. PQ wise the KS7500 should definitely impress... I'd be very surprised if you don't immediately see a difference there.

Soldato
Is this worthwhile if 90% of you computer time is gaming ? or should i be looking at moving to 1440/144 or ultrawide monitors ?

I'm currently using 5760x1080 Triplescreen via a 1080 but one monitor has packed up :(

For gaming it's a hard call, and ultimately comes down to how sensitive you are to refresh rates... as mentioned above, that tends to be a very subjective factor and no-one can tell you how you'll get on with it. The lack of G-Sync/Freesync is also a potential issue if you are used to a monitor with that, because at 4K adaptive sync comes in VERY handy. I don't think anyone would doubt the immersion and PQ of a quality 4K TV, but that isn't everything. You won't really know until you try it.

Associate
Interested to see how you get on with it. The KS7500 is VA and you're coming from TN, so you should see some improvement with colours and definitely blacks. It is a big speed drop though, down to 60Hz from 144Hz, so that may be obvious to you. Refresh rate can be very subjective though, some people notice it far more than others in my experience. PQ wise the KS7500 should definitely impress... I'd be very surprised if you don't immediately see a difference there.
I think I will end up with two screens. I would prefer to have only one, but now it probably will not be possible. I will keep my Asus for fast paced fps shooters, my son just had come into the world of CSGO, so it could come in handy. For slower games like rpgs, dishonored, wiedzmin 3 aka witcher 3 I want WOW factor:) I have huge backlog, like last 10 years of the best games in my steam account. I just did not have time. Adult life, family, making the liveing, you name it. I have great setup, upgrade very often and then I just do not use it:( Now I want Wow factor, to force me to make time, like Neil McCauley said in Heat:) It did not end up so well for him, but hey-ho:) Soon I will find out:)

Associate
I am close to pulling the trigger on the updated 2017 model MU6400. It's down to a choice of KS7500 and the new MU model. I will also have to get an active adapter with having a 390 GFX card. Replacing my 144Hz BenQ monitor from a few years back should see an upgrade in colour accuracy that's awesome. Just hesitant incase the 2017 replacement for the KS7500 appears soon.

Soldato
is this worth it over the Hisense M3300 as that is back down to £330? The hisense is direct lit over the samsungs edge lit, however it doesnt have bluetooth which the samsung does (i have bluetooth headphones).

Last edited:
Soldato
is this worth it over the Hisense M3300 as that is back down to £330? The hisense is direct lit over the samsungs edge lit, however it doesnt have bluetooth which the samsung does (i have bluetooth headphones).

Hisense should have PQ edge over the Samsung, but depends how much you require the bluetooth and if that's a major drawback. Hisense make good TV's, and for £330 you get a lot of TV for your money.

Associate
I'd only consider a Sony (0-100% brightness) or Samsung (>20% brightness) for PC use. These are still the only TVs with no PWM. I'd argue backlight flicker is of greater concern when sitting so close to a large display, as the main effects manifest from peripheral vision.

Back
Top Bottom