Poll: Spanish Grand Prix 2017, Catalunya - Race 5/20

Rate the 2017 Spanish Grand Prix

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
You really think he cares about or needs the money at this point? He wants to win, or at least be able to try to. I'd dare say he would race for free if he could be given something competitive and reliable.

This.

Alonso has been slowly stagnating for a few years now. F1 drivers of his calibre need to be competetive. I think he initially went to McLaren with high hopes, and perhaps some level of self interest to be part of an amazing comeback but alas it hasnt materialised.

I feel for him - it must be hard going to races when you know you probably wont even finish the race, and perhaps not even start it.

Man of Honour
famous last words and all that, but he's done.

cant see any big team hiring him, especially with young people like Verstappen impressing so much and its going to take several years for Honda to solve its issue if they solve them at all, just look how much they spent and how poor they have been in previous f1 attempts.

he needs to decide to change series or stay for the mega bucks.
I hope he goes at the end of the season to a different series.

Soldato
You really think he cares about or needs the money at this point? He wants to win, or at least be able to try to. I'd dare say he would race for free if he could be given something competitive and reliable.

It probably cushions the blow quite well... According to a quick google hes worth $200 million so $40 is still a relativley large figure. Although to be honest short of being in a Merc for the last 3-4 years he wouldnt have won a race anyway.

This.

Alonso has been slowly stagnating for a few years now. F1 drivers of his calibre need to be competetive. I think he initially went to McLaren with high hopes, and perhaps some level of self interest to be part of an amazing comeback but alas it hasnt materialised.

I feel for him - it must be hard going to races when you know you probably wont even finish the race, and perhaps not even start it.

At least he had the chance in the past. I'm sure there are some drivers who were technically good enough but never got that competitive car and achieved their championship dreams. He didnt have to go to Mclaren, he took a gamble and it didn't pay off. Something he's known for... Maybe after Ferrari he should have just gone the WEC or Indy route?

If he's waiting to drive a top car next year its going to have to be a Merc or a Ferrari. I can't see Ferrari wanting him back and if Merc win both titles again, i can see them sticking with Bottas.

Soldato
It probably cushions the blow quite well... According to a quick google hes worth $200 million so $40 is still a relativley large figure. Although to be honest short of being in a Merc for the last 3-4 years he wouldnt have won a race anyway.

At least he had the chance in the past. I'm sure there are some drivers who were technically good enough but never got that competitive car and achieved their championship dreams. He didnt have to go to Mclaren, he took a gamble and it didn't pay off. Something he's known for... Maybe after Ferrari he should have just gone the WEC or Indy route?

If he's waiting to drive a top car next year its going to have to be a Merc or a Ferrari. I can't see Ferrari wanting him back and if Merc win both titles again, i can see them sticking with Bottas.

I think he could could challenge for podiums, even now, if he had a decent car. He has repeatedly shown his class in the pack and given some of the younger drivers a lesson or two :)

I agree though, perhaps the sun is setting on his F1 career and like you say, least he has won couple of championships. He should have stayed with Ferrari, at least he was getting podiums. Mind you his last season at Ferrari was pretty terrible.

But you never know, Hamilton may jack at the end of this season and there may be opportunities for a driver shuffle. Massa isnt likely to do many more seasons, if any. I can also see Vettel retiring on a high should he win this season.

Soldato
I think he could could challenge for podiums, even now, if he had a decent car. He has repeatedly shown his class in the pack and given some of the younger drivers a lesson or two :)

I agree though, perhaps the sun is setting on his F1 career and like you say, least he has won couple of championships. He should have stayed with Ferrari, at least he was getting podiums. Mind you his last season at Ferrari was pretty terrible.

But you never know, Hamilton may jack at the end of this season and there may be opportunities for a driver shuffle. Massa isnt likely to do many more seasons, if any. I can also see Vettel retiring on a high should he win this season.

Funnily enough i've been saying the same thing about Hamilton recently. I could honestly see him going off to do non racing things if he wins the title this year. :) I'd like to see Sainz in a good car.

Soldato
My gut feeling in that Alonso's best possible F1 hope after this season is Kimi retiring and then someone from Redbull or Mercedes taking the seat, with Alonso then taking the the vacant seat.

Soldato
I don't think Hamilton will move. Perhaps his ego wants to challenge vettel in similar cars though, I'm not sure. My feeling is Hamilton will be Mercedes until he retires.

Soldato
Unlike the Vettels and the Grosjeans of the world I've never heard Hamilton make a point of saying he needed to drive for the red cars before his career was out.

Soldato
Yeah I agree. But i think theres part of him that would like to challenge vettel in the same team. Vettel has 4 championships, consecutive too. That must burn Hamilton so bad! :p

Soldato

I don't think he's been stagnating. Indeed I think he's at his very best, and it's even more obvious than when he impressed the entire F1 world in a terrible Minardi back in 2001. The bloke is taking that thing places it should never be, fighting on the fringes of the top-10 whereas his highly-rated teammate hasn't made it out of Q3 yet.

Man of Honour
Can't see Alonso at Red Bull, too many of their own drivers to pick from.

Ferrari. Very doubtful.
Mercedes. Naah.
Renault. Possibly. 2 world championships may influence them.
Haas. Possibly, especially if they keep improving.

Associate
Redbull have their own driver program so don't need Alonso.
Ferrari won't have him back.
Mercedes is full, unless Hamilton leaves.
I think Alonso's only hope is either Renault or staying at McLaren who will most likely have a Merc engine next year.

Man of Honour
With Bottas' performances so far this year, it's entirely possible they'll extend his contract, depends on what happens throughout the year though.

Hopefully Ferrari remain competitive and Vettel wants to stay there rather than fight for a Mercedes seat.

Back
Top Bottom