*** Official Hyperoptic Discussion Thread ***

Associate
I just wondered if anybody has had a similar experience to mine - I've had Hyperoptic for a week now, speedtest.hyperoptic showing 700-800mbps with a wire - yet the damn thing can't stream video (Facebook, Twitch, Netflix). I posted on thinkbroadband and did their test and my tests were going from decent (nowhere near 700/800mbps) to very poor within minutes of each other. Fast.com which I'm told uses Netflix infrastructure says 90 Kbps!!

Hyperoptic support have been trying to help but they can't see any faults. Someone on the thinkbroadband forum says it indicates that the network is contended but I have no idea.

Has anybody else had this issue with Hyperoptic? If so did you resolve it?

Associate
I would be surprised if the network was contended on Hyperoptics network as they would have picked up on that
Also with their uptake rates in lots of buildings, unless people are doing constant speed tests or Steam downloads, their backhaul wont be saturated

I would reccomend running thinkbroadband's quality monitor for 24 hours and see if you get any packet loss or unusual latency
That would be a good indicator of if anything is wrong and you can use that as proof to Hyperoptic's support

Take it you are using the supplied router?

Perhapd try shutting down your computer and trying another if possible. Try and rule out any possible malware issues

Associate
Thanks I will run the quality monitor and see what happens. I'm pretty certain it's not my computer (MacBook), as having the issues over wifi as well on my iPhone and also on my PS4 connected via LAN

Yes using the stock ZTE router but it also happens with the cable straight out of the socket. I intend to set up Ubiquiti gear eventually but I want it to be working properly before I start any of that

Associate
Unfortunately it looks as if I'm going to end up with a big 100% packet loss block on the quality monitor... can't find anywhere to allow ICMP on the shoddy router settings page

TJM

TJM

Associate
Quick question for anyone with Hyperoptic - how much wiring work are their engineers prepared to do on the day of the install? I live in a one bed flat and the route from the entry point in the utility cupboard to my living room is quite awkward. They would need to go through a wall, avoiding plastic and metal pipes, and then through the empty space under the kitchen units to reach the PC. A reputable freelancer has quoted me £120 for the work, which I'll go for if Hyperoptic take a 'skirting board only' approach.

Associate
Quick question for anyone with Hyperoptic - how much wiring work are their engineers prepared to do on the day of the install? I live in a one bed flat and the route from the entry point in the utility cupboard to my living room is quite awkward. They would need to go through a wall, avoiding plastic and metal pipes, and then through the empty space under the kitchen units to reach the PC. A reputable freelancer has quoted me £120 for the work, which I'll go for if Hyperoptic take a 'skirting board only' approach.
Not sure if you've seen this or not:
https://support.hyperoptic.com/hc/e...talled-near-the-entrance-what-are-my-options-
We know that every home is different, and our engineers will work with you to agree the best position for the Hyperoptic socket. Our standard installation includes up to 10 meters of cabling, and we also offer an extension installation if you want to have the socket installed further into your home. Additional charges will apply. Please let our Customer Support team know your requirements when they call to schedule your appointment.

If you live within like 20 miles of Birmingham then I could do it for you, I do it more of as a hobby than work as I love trying to show off the old skillset of hiding cables as much as possible. I'm an Electrician so I have all the tools etc. Apartments and most bungalows are generally so easy. I also live in a one bed flat.
I even did most of the work for the guy who came to install the Hyperhub. I knew the cable was in the ceiling just outside my front door, so I drilled through and ran the cable inside the cavity wall and into a backbox ready for the Hyperplate to be fitted by him.

Last edited:
Associate
Well for me, over a year ago I was getting usually 800-900Mb. These days I seem to usually only get 650-750Mb on the fastest test sites/servers, but anything from 600-800Mb.

How does it fare running Netflix and in general? I wouldn't even mind 600mb if it would actually work! At the moment I'm getting super fast speed test results, but far far worse performance even over LAN cable than my Sky 10mb connection (which is over wifi, have never used a LAN cable with the Sky) and I'm talking REALLY poor. I think my phone when on 3G performs better...

Associate
How does it fare running Netflix and in general? I wouldn't even mind 600mb if it would actually work! At the moment I'm getting super fast speed test results, but far far worse performance even over LAN cable than my Sky 10mb connection (which is over wifi, have never used a LAN cable with the Sky) and I'm talking REALLY poor. I think my phone when on 3G performs better...
Everything works great, I don't use Netflix but use other less common video streamer websites.
We both use Twitch, which works great for me, I constantly get 400KB/sec / 4Mbps speeds from those streams at any time of the day.

If you PS4 and iPhone are suffering with slow Wifi speeds then the problem is for sure Hyperoptics gear. Get them to send an engineer out they shouldn't charge anything for the visit if he finds you're getting such crap speeds.

Associate
@TJM For my install the engineer ran approx 12 meters of cable along skirting, through a wall and to the other side of my flat to a surface mount box. He did a neat job but to be honest, if I owned the place or was staying long term I would have had the cable ran through the ceiling and in the walls rather than stapled to skirting.
So personally if you want it hidden I would get someone in to do it properly. You could do it before or after the installation it doesn't really matter

@wasbie Looks like on mine I get occasional small packet loss but overall the connection is extremely stable which is to be expected on any FTTB connection like Hyperoptic.
Just nag support to send an engineer and fingers crossed you get somewhere

4f3ad7caaecac9a69e7f8a5ab4688a42b107d425-15-05-2017.png

TJM

TJM

Associate
@TJM For my install the engineer ran approx 12 meters of cable along skirting, through a wall and to the other side of my flat to a surface mount box. He did a neat job but to be honest, if I owned the place or was staying long term I would have had the cable ran through the ceiling and in the walls rather than stapled to skirting.
So personally if you want it hidden I would get someone in to do it properly. You could do it before or after the installation it doesn't really matter
I'm having this work done shortly before Hyperoptic goes live. The contractor is unfamiliar with Hyperoptic and has asked for confirmation that the Hyperoptic port is just an RJ45 socket on the end of CAT5e or 6 connection to their equipment. If so, he is going to run a length of CAT6 from my PC's location to my utility cupboard, with a socket on the PC end and the cable lying loose on the other end for plugging into Hyperoptic's socket. I'll ask him to leave a few metres spare so the Hyperoptic engineer has a bit of flexibility with placing the port and can then trim the existing cable to suit.

Does that all sound right?

Caporegime
New Hyperoptic installs are Cat5e run from their access switch(es) to your apartment. Where they took over some older failed attempts at providing services they've ended up with SM fibre and media converters (Strata is one of these).

I'm planning to run some flexible conduit with a draw wire through the ceiling in advance and get a single gang box installed to keep it simple and easy to repair in the future if necessary. Hyperoptic seem small enough that you can discuss the installation and someone can give you answers.

Associate
Anyone aware of any deals on hyperoptic at the moment? Quidco are offering £95 cashback on 1GB and £65 on 100mb, assume this won't stack with the £50 referral bonus if I got referred?

Any better deals going?

Associate
Anyone aware of any deals on hyperoptic at the moment? Quidco are offering £95 cashback on 1GB and £65 on 100mb, assume this won't stack with the £50 referral bonus if I got referred?

Any better deals going?
Depends on your postcode I think?
Hyperoptic seem to be depend on time of year in terms of pricing. Their best price is £33/month for 1Gb during November black Friday sales week.

Soldato
Thought some of you may be interested in seeing the general performance of the HyperOptic 1Gbps Fibre Internet. Not too shabby for 52 quid a month.

Soldato
I don't know a great deal about how it all works but wouldn't something this speed be pointless at the moment as whatever is the other end would only be able to provide a certain speed anyway? I guess it would be useful for multiple connections and/or downloading while doing other stuff??

Back
Top Bottom