Can I use just 2 Poweline Adaptors 1 into my pc , 1 into my steam link and still use WiFi Card?

Associate
Or do I need 3 powerline adaptors , 1 into pc , 1 into router , then 1 into steamlink.

Ideally my PC has a wifi card , so simply use that for internet and downloading etc...

But have a dedicated link from network card on my PC into a powerline adaptor then the 2nd adaptor upstairs plugged into my steam link....

Would this work ?

Will my PC happily work with a WIFI card plugged and a powerline connector plugged into the ethernet port via suitable cable or will I lose internet connection as the powerline connector based on using just 2 , will have no internet access ?

Don
I'm not sure what you are trying to do. It sounds like you are trying to connect a Steamlink device to your PC via ethernet over powerline while having your PC connect to WiFi for its internet connection to your router yes? Well, that might work but you will need to set static IPs on both the PC and the Steamlink so that they can communicate as they will not get DHCP that way. It would be much easier if you have powerline adaptors at each device you want to connect though.

Soldato
Power line into your router and power line into your steam link thing if your PC already talks to your router via wifi. Aside from power line being a bit crap, that would be the cleanest way with everything using DHCP etc.

Associate
OP
Hi, thank you for your replies, I guess my reason for my needs, might help, my gaming PC is downstairs under the TV, the router is around 20 foot away in the kitchen, my monitor for using the steam link is upstairs.

I've read its best to not go WiFi on the steam link, so to get the best connection without using straight wires, was to go via power link from gaming machine to upstairs via power link.

The main reason for still using WiFi on the gaming PC downstairs is just for surfing downloads etc, but still use a power link via the network port on the back, this would ideal not cause any issues and give me the best or both worlds..

But ideally I want to keep the costs down and just buy a pair of power line Av1200 for 19.99.

Soldato
You'd need to set static IPs on both and don't quote me but you may need to set your gaming pic as the gateway on your steam link (but leave gaming pc without a gateway on the ethernet).

I guess it would work but you could also just buy 2 packs of the power lines and then have the gaming pc wired to the router as well.

Soldato
You'd need to set static IPs on both and don't quote me but you may need to set your gaming pic as the gateway on your steam link (but leave gaming pc without a gateway on the ethernet).

I guess it would work but you could also just buy 2 packs of the power lines and then have the gaming pc wired to the router as well.

You wouldn't need a gateway on the ethernet as the traffic doesn't need to "break out". The two devices being on the same network will suffice. The gaming PC will simply use the WiFi for internet activities as that will have a gateway.

Soldato
You wouldn't need a gateway on the ethernet as the traffic doesn't need to "break out". The two devices being on the same network will suffice. The gaming PC will simply use the WiFi for internet activities as that will have a gateway.

Correct but I have a funny feeling the steam link may need one. In fact I have a funny feeling it needs to sign in to a steam account to work? I may be wrong but that would mean they'd both have to connect to the router anyway to get a WAN connection.

In short, OP hook both up to the router.

Associate
It should work IF you can configure the steamlink, by default it seems to expect to connect via a home router so probably expects to get a ip address and gateway from the router, this needs to be changed on the other hand

3 powerlines, 1 at router, 1 at steam link, 1 at pc would work with no messing, you could even keep the wifi ON for pc to web, would work seamlessly no messing about with dhcp etc, just set up the powerlines and go

Back
Top Bottom