BSoD 124: No overclocks?

Man of Honour
It just BSoD'ed :/

Will try the new BIOS version later tonight, see if that helps. If not, then would I be looking at either a borked mobo or CPU?

Did you look at the vtt, imc and vcore relationships btw? While not a very common issue it does happen and usually causes 124 or 101 BSOD.

Soldato
OP
Well, 2 years later and the saga still continues.

Since the last posts, I've replaced the Gigabyte Z77-D3H with an Asus P8Z77-V, I've used a new SSD with W10 installed, and I'm also currently using my mates set of DDR3 RAM, all to no avail.

Honestly, the only thing that hasn't been swapped out, or replaced, or tested with equivalents is the CPU, the i5-3750k, and even then that's had a fair few tests of Prime thrown at it without any problems indicated.

Completely at my wits end. I'm honestly just going to price up a new completely fresh change of hardware, and move to a completely different socket. I've had nothing but issues ever since I went onto 1155 from my old 775 Q6600 system.

Soldato
What about PSU if you changed motherboard then it will be the next thing, I'm having the same issues with my build being unstable on boot but in windows I'm fine.

Soldato
OP
What about PSU if you changed motherboard then it will be the next thing, I'm having the same issues with my build being unstable on boot but in windows I'm fine.

Nope, tried it back in 2014 with a mates Corsair unit and it was still doing it.

Booting is fine, it's when I'm actually in Windows that it happens. And it does it randomly; hot, cold, load, no load.

EDIT: A thought. Could it be the case at all? That is the only thing that hasn't changed (along with the CPU). That said, everything has been in and out of it more than once so if it was a shorting issue, surely it wouldn't still be doing it?

Last edited:
Associate
You said everything has been out and in again in the case, does that include the motherboard?
Try taking it out and re-seating it on the case risers, may possibly be a short happening, although unlikely!

As an aside, I had a duff cpu years ago, an AM2, my system would just lock-up at random for no reason, never BSOD of but always lock up at random when doing anything, I did all the things you have tried and the cpu even passed a prime test, but I eventually diagnosed it by rendering video, everytime I rendered a video it would lock up within 2 minutes of starting the render process.
Replaced the cpu with an AM2 I got off ebay and it cured the problem.
Not saying this is the case in your situation, but it is possible

Soldato
OP
Mobo has been swapped for a different one, so yes.

All I can think of is the CPU to be honest. I've put up a wanted post in the MM for another 3570k, and if not, I'll be upgrading to socket 1151. If it wasn't for the BSoD, I wouldn't even be thinking of upgrading as when it's fine, it still suits my needs perfectly.

Associate
I wish I could offer some meaningful advice, you have troubleshooted every part of the system (RAM, MB, PSU etc) to the point the CPU has to be the cause.
If you can get an 1150 chip then why upgrade? I hope you can finally resolve this mate, nothing worse than spending hour upon hour diagnosing a problem only to end up building a whole new system to solve it!

Soldato
OP
I'm not actually sure what's better than the 3570k and is socket 1155. I'm guessing any of the Ivybridge i7s? Would like to replace with another 3570k to be sure if it was that though.

Soldato
OP
A bit of closure to this thread. After getting in touch with a mate who said he had a still boxed unused 3570k, I replaced the CPU. Several months on, absolutely zero issues. So all that time, all those parts swapped out, and it turned out to be the CPU all along.

Joy.

Back
Top Bottom