Watercooled Lian Li PC-O11 case upgrade from 12 year old Coolermaster Stacker

Associate
I finally decided the upgrade my old Coolermaster Stacker case that has served me well for 12 years now, my plan was to keep all my existing components and replace the case to give me a good foundation to play with for the next few upgrades. This is the shopping list:

Use Existing

• CPU
  • RAM
  • Motherboard
  • GPU
  • SSDs
  • HDD
  • PSU
  • Pump
  • CPU Block

New

• Case
    • Lian Li PC-O11WXC Midi Tower - Black Window
  • 2x 360mm Radiator
    • EK Water Blocks EK-CoolStream PE 360 (Triple)
  • 6x 120mm PWM fans
    • ThermalTake Riing 12, 120mm LED RGB Radiator Fan TT Premium Edition
  • 2x 3.5" to 2.5" drive convertors
    • Lian Li HD-321X Internal 2.5" HDD/SSD Mounting Kit
  • Thermal Paste
    • Noctua NT-H1
  • Reservoir
    • EK Water Blocks EK-RES X3 150 Reservoir
  • Reservoir Mount
    • EK Water Blocks EK-UNI Holder 50-70
  • GPU Block
    • EK 980ti Block (second hand)
  • Fittings
    • EK Water Blocks EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm - Black & 45/90 extensions
  • Hose
    • Mayhems Ultra Clear Watercooling Tubing 13/10mm
  • Pump mounting
    • ModMyMachine Shoggy Sandwich V2
  • Coolant
    • EK Water Blocks EK-CryoFuel Clear Concentrate
  • 3x Black SATA 3.0 cables
    • Akasa AK-CBSA05-50BK Super slim SATA cable
  • Long Molex Cable
    • BitFenix Alchemy Molex Extension Adaptor 45cm - Black

I will stick with the basic PSU cables for now and upgrade them to sleeved extensions to match my motherboard when that gets done. OK so this is my current PC:

old1.jpg

old3.jpg

old6.jpg

old7.jpg

Note the old heat exchanger with no proper mounting, I will miss my fishtank bay res though. It was a good case for the time but twelve 5.25 bays aren't really needed in today's world. One thing I've seen others do is swap out the coolant in the loop but I've always left it between CPU upgrades which happen ever 4 years or so and I've never had a problem. I normally check the fittings are still tight once a year.

old8.jpg

Lots of dust when inside... dust filters weren't standard in 2005. OK time to start the new build!

build1.jpg

Removed one of the 3.5" cages and fitted the remaining one with 2.5 HDD adaptors.

build2.jpg

Moved the HDD cage to the top slots and fitted the Res using the universal adaptors.

build3.jpg

Installed both radiators and fitted the RGB fans which are oriented so that air will be drawn through the bottom of the case and expelled out of the top. The dust filter was removed from the top of the case.

build4.jpg

Testing the pump mounting position.

build6.jpg

I installed the rest of the PC using air cooling to ensure that everything was still working. That stock Intel heat sink & fan is nasty!

build7.jpg

Playing with the 90 degree fitting to work out hose layouts to the back of the case.

build8.jpg

This is the back with 3x 2.5 disks in place. I've also installed the Seasonic PSU, this has had the stock fan replaced with a Noctua unit so I can control the fan speed from the motherboard. I'm trying to control the cable spaghetti with some Velcro!

build9.jpg

Here the pump is in place on the Shoggy Sandwich to help eliminate vibration.

build10.jpg

CPU/GPU block is fitted and the loop is filled with water.

build11.jpg

Tested done with a jump pin adaptor. After no leaks for 2 hours I deem it good enough.

build12.jpg

build13.jpg

This is the finished result, due to the tempered glass photos don't really show much but I'm happy with the look in person. The new 10/13 hose seems so tiny compared to the old 13/16 I had before, it kinks more easily too which is annoying. Now to switch on and play with the colours.

build14.jpg

build15.jpg

build16.jpg

build17.jpg

build18.jpg

build19.jpg

build20.jpg

Again photos look odd but I'm really happy with the look in the flesh. I'm really pleased with the case but would love to get hold of some small wheels or casters to allow for easier maintenance. I've also since ordered and fitted a T-Splitter and drain pipe above the pump to allow from simple draining. Next step will be component refresh with matching cable extensions. Probably a neutral light colour to help reflect the RGB. I could go hardline for the front of the case as there are only 3 sections to install, I'll see how I feel at the time!

Last edited:
Soldato
looking smooth mate! ive got a case which uses air flow set up like yours, would recommend having an extra fan 80/92mm cant remember what side at the side to intake. should give more positive pressure to help with dust and you'll also notice it forces air straight out the top! had one fan fail out of two at the top of mine and the fans from the bottoms pressure meant I could carry on fine until replacement arrived :D

Associate
OP
would recommend having an extra fan 80/92mm cant remember what side at the side to intake. should give more positive pressure to help with dust and you'll also notice it forces air straight out the top!

I've configured the lower intake fan bank to have a slightly more aggressive fan curve than the top exit bank. At idle there is matched pressure but as the load ramps there will be slightly more positive pressure. Hopefully this will do the trick and it saves having to put anything smaller than a 120mm in but will see how it pans out.

The case is so easy to work with I really feel I have loads of options, one thing I saw in some of the case reviews was that you needed to order the front port USB 3.1 cable separately but mine already had one installed.

Soldato
worth when under load unplugging one of the top fans and putting your hand over it to feel the pressure - reason why i'll never go for a traditional PSU at the bottom and intake fans at the front case again :D

does look nice mate! will you step up to hard line in near future ?

Soldato
I'll miss my Stacker when it eventually gets replaced. The problem is its so well built its hardly going to fall apart and require replacing! Lol! Are you selling the stacker on or will it be utilised elsewhere?

Back
Top Bottom