Considering a Vive - will my PC suffice?

Soldato
For my sins I've been looking at the HTC Vive but given the expense don't really want to have to beef up my PC in order to be able to use it!

My specs are in my sig and I'm wondering what elements of my system might need improving to run it?

My GPU is listed as the minimum and while I'm not crazy about running anything with just the minimum specs, at least it should work and I can look to upgrade in the future when funds allow!

My larger concern is the CPU requirement of an i5 4590 - mine is the i5 2500k, which of course can be overclocked - does anyone know if it can be overcooked sufficiently to match the 4590 or ate there other features within the chips that differ?

Thanks for any advice....

Associate
I have a similar setup, i5 3470 (Similar to 2500k, same generation) and an RX470. My Rift works really well, albeit it does come up that my PC doesn't meet the required specifications, my guess being it is an older generation CPU as the rest of my system meets the requirements. I am looking to upgrade my CPU but for now I'm able to run any game on the rift at medium to high.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies!

My GPU is a GTX 970 (sorry, only just realised that signatures don't show up on my phone!)

Will overclocking my 2500 make a noticeable difference performance-wise??

Soldato
A friend has no problems with his 970 (as I didn't with mine). An OC on the CPU wouldn't hurt.
You might want to reduce a few settings and keep supersampling at its default for a steady performance.

Back
Top Bottom