Career path for HND Graduate

Associate
I have experience in a classroom setting. But nothing hands on, I'd like to break into the security sector, but with the nature of my qualifications I understand it'll be hard. I can't do a top up for various reasons. so any advice would be greatly appreciated not too sure on what approach to take. :)

(for those familiar with computer security i was thinking to get compTIA certifications next to boost my CV... but not sure if that's a possibility).

Man of Honour
What's your HND in?

There's absolutely no reason why you couldn't go for CompTIA certification, it'll help you stand out from other graduates that don't have them and show a good attitude to learning that employers seem to almost universally appreciate.

Security+ does seem to be more respected than Network+ and A+ in this country (a shame in my opinion), but from my research even with Security+ I think you will likely struggle to get anything more an entry level general IT role without experience.

I'd start to study for an industry cert or exam now, to get yourself on the cert train, to help you stand out and so that you understand how they work first hand. I'd do either a CompTIA (A+/Net+ depending on your experience) and/or one of the Microsoft MCSA exams (giving you MCP status), as these should look good in your CV and get you past recruitment filters. I'd apply for general IT Support roles, and try to grab every opportunity you can to lean towards security as they appear. In this time, continue your self study and get Security+. Your next CV should pretty much write itself.

Associate
OP
My HND is in computing (Web Technology and Security)
largely consists of database, networking, web development, cryptography and encryption.
Thanks! I'll look into those. I wasn't sure on the requirements to sit those exams but I'll start learning/revising now.
so you'd recommend getting the security+ first then? I don't know what country you're in but I'm in the UK.

Man of Honour
By the sound of it the lesser certs (network+ and a+) would be a waste of time for you, given your HND. It's worth taking a look over the objectives for Network+ anyway to look for gaps in your knowledge, but if you've done network stuff in your HND you probably have most of it down.

Remember the main CompTIA certs have a 3 year life, after which you must renew it. Its worth getting familiar with the CompTIA cert hierarchy, as you can simply renew by gaining a higher level one. They also have a system of "CEUs", where you can gain some renewal credit by completing other activities, such as watching webinars, work experience, or completing certifications from other organisations/vendors from a pre-approved list.

Back
Top Bottom