**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

Soldato
Having moved over from years with the iPhone I can see why Apple have absolutely dominated the market. Their products just work.

Non techies can not be dealing with the plague of issues people are experiencing with, for example, the S8. The only time I remember Apple screwing up was with the antenna issues back with the IP4 (I think it was 4 may have been 5).

My S8 is superior in every way to the 7+ it replaced but it's a shame Samsung seem to rush these products out without conducting proper testing. Apple are still leagues ahead in that respect. I feel I've been lucky my S8 hasn't exhibited some of the problems discussed in this thread but I still had a bizarre problem after the latest software update where the screen went blotchy and became covered in artefacts. It looked like there were liquid spills inside the screen. Tweaked about with the edge colour balance, this reset the device, and bang the screen was crystal clear again. That would never happen on an Apple product.

The irony of this post is I actually despise the Apple brand and I'm slowly phasing out of their eco-system. The next thing to go is the MBP.

The delusion is strong in this one....

Soldato
The delusion is strong in this one....

IP4... never had any problems
IP5... never had any problems
IP6... ""
IP7... ""
IP7+... ""

Within 3 weeks of S8+ ownership I've had numerous issues and the thing constantly crashes, locks up etc.

I hope that explains my reasoning!

Soldato
IP4... never had any problems
IP5... never had any problems
IP6... ""
IP7... ""
IP7+... ""

Within 3 weeks of S8+ ownership I've had numerous issues and the thing constantly crashes, locks up etc.

I hope that explains my reasoning!

If it helps, had the S8+ since launch, not a single crash.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I've had zero issues like what people have mentioned above. It's actually been a very enjoyable few weeks. Nice to have 24-28hrs battery life every charge now :D

Associate
I've finally got my s8 plus. Decided to buy it outright as I couldn't find a contract deal worth the money. :p

Now I'm waiting for a screen protector and case to arrive from rain forest before I peel off the plastic layers.

Soldato
Still really want the case though.

Lol I'm in the same situation

I mentioned the 30 day refund thing in an email and they just sort of swerved answering it properly... and said the delay is due to me changing my leather type part way through... I did do that, but I don't think that's the delay reason as surely if it was custom made and they'd already started the other one ... then they wouldn't have allowed me to make the change? So if they allowed me to make it, I imagine there was no progress with the first order and therefore still shouldn't be any delay

Will see when it finally arrives hopefully it is worth it! :)

Associate
Got my S8 about a week ago and absolutely loving it. Only problem I have is the speaker seems to keep cutting out, it will play for about a second then nothing. Does this on videos and music, tried different apps, restarting the phone but to no avail. Seems to affect notifications as well as the phone will play first second or so of ringtone then cutoff. Anyone else experiencing this?

Soldato
Got my S8 about a week ago and absolutely loving it. Only problem I have is the speaker seems to keep cutting out, it will play for about a second then nothing. Does this on videos and music, tried different apps, restarting the phone but to no avail. Seems to affect notifications as well as the phone will play first second or so of ringtone then cutoff. Anyone else experiencing this?

See below ;)

Pressing/tapping on the screen about 2cm above the speaker seems to 'fix' it for some.

Huge thread on the sound issues here:
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...d-id/GeneralDiscussion/page/32/thread-id/2913

Mine has cut out again tonight, restored after tapping the screen above the speaker. Will be contacting Samsung tomorrow to see what that say.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The speaker issue seems to be the S8 whereas the S8+ is fine? Bit weird considering they are made the exact same design, just scaled down on the S8 for the screen size.

Soldato
The speaker issue seems to be the S8 whereas the S8+ is fine? Bit weird considering they are made the exact same design, just scaled down on the S8 for the screen size.

Yeah you would think. When the sound cuts out it actually fades out a little, and putting an ear to the speaker - you can hear some hiss/white noise from the speaker. So maybe is a software thing, I saw somewhere mentioning the speaker shorting due to clipping or something. Either way, I just want Samsung to at least acknowledge the issue, several people have had replacement phones that get the same issue.

Edit: I have a custom EQ setting applied, maybe something to do with that?

L33

L33

Permabanned
There is no way it is a software issue. Tapping a phone to fixes a software issue?
Have a look at the ifixit teardown photos, they show that the speaker is connected by two pads that just 'rest' on two contacts on the motherboard, held in place once the phone is assembled rather than being a traditional socketed connector. It is located exactly where those of you with the issue say to tap to correct the problem.
I'd put my money on it being that the contacts are not held in place firmly enough and are moving apart through normal usage forces/heat. Manufacturing tolerances probably result in some phones being a bit 'looser' and seeing this issue. Just my 2p's worth.

Image (click for full size):
ZrqQVj7m.png.jpg

Associate
I also have a galaxy s8 from pre order from Car phone warehouse with the exact same speaker problem which immediatly goes away after pressing on the phone, Ive been told to bring it to any of their shop and they could see if they could do a repair (48hr max waiting time) or give me replacement. Dont know how to feel about repairs as they would have to open up the phone which could mess up water resistance, also spoke on the live chat to samsung and they have told me it this shouldn't happen (obviously) and I should get a replacement from car phone warehouse as its still within 30 days. I should take the phone back to them on monday and see what happens but If I got a replacement I hope this same problem wont happen or the fact I will get a dodgy model with a red tinted screen as the one I have right now is perfectly fine

my problem only happens very occasionally and ive performed a system format but no luck, only seems to happen when playing media.

Anyone here got a replacement or a repair etc?

Soldato
There is no way it is a software issue. Tapping a phone to fixes a software issue?
Have a look at the ifixit teardown photos, they show that the speaker is connected by two pads that just 'rest' on two contacts on the motherboard, held in place once the phone is assembled rather than being a traditional socketed connector. It is located exactly where those of you with the issue say to tap to correct the problem.
I'd put my money on it being that the contacts are not held in place firmly enough and are moving apart through normal usage forces/heat. Manufacturing tolerances probably result in some phones being a bit 'looser' and seeing this issue. Just my 2p's worth.

Image (click for full size):
ZrqQVj7m.png.jpg

My initial thoughts were the same as you have said, but I can't explain how/why the audio would fade out rather than just cut out?

Soldato
The thing that moved me to Apple after only owning Android phones was the damn software updates. Google just showed off a ton of nice features in Android O, the S8 doesn't even have Nougat yet does it?

It probably won't have Android O till the middle of next year.

All currently supported Apple devices will have iOS 11 or whatever they call it as soon as Apple release it.

Associate
Google just showed off a ton of nice features in Android O, the S8 doesn't even have Nougat yet does it?

It launched with Nougat. lol

So I've had mine for just over 2 weeks now. Very impressed I must say (coming from a Note 5). My colleague who picked it up for me in Singapore actually said the Samsung chap opened the box up and checked the phone over so I'm happy with the additional bit of QC (they were well aware of the red tint, etc). It hasn't skipped a beat and I actually don't miss the S-Pen. The official LED cover case is actually awesome.

I use the official LED case too. I love how it looks professional in an office environment. Shame it doesnt turn into a stand like the clear case does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom