**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Associate
Well I've had the Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus for nearly a week now. Pretty much a massive thumb up apart from...

I've a very frustrating problem, which I've found posts about online, and it's seems to have been a problem for a while, over many different MIUI version but no fix.

Every time I clear the RAM cache, as I do from a force of habit, it looses a lot of settings. It forgot my alarm, which nearly meant an Ambulance not being manned! It forgets any video settings I make in the camera app. Sadly that meant catching a video in low setting not the intended 4k. It also keeps forgetting to update some widgets, like EV car charger status, weather, clock etc. It's all mildly annoying, made worse with the fact the dev updates don't have the fix. Will read up on XDA when I get the chance to see if any of the custom ROMs have the fix.

Associate
Is that with VoLTE enabled?

Only been having problems since I moved from 3 back to EE.

Yes mate.

IMG

Soldato
Maj as you can re-create the issue on another terminal I'd highly advise clearing the voicemail settings (either through the android phone app or using GSM short codes) and if that doesn't work (tested SIM on your known working handset) call up EE support. They can see realtime your attachment to masts, see the terminating codes for all calls etc... Voice calls are carried via 2/3/4g on EE so the attached air interface isn't really useful here (and your phone likely uses all three air interfaces as time goes on for power reasons). If you want to know typically you can see this info in the debug app for hte manufacturer or if you have root you can use LTE Discovery (app).

maj

maj

Soldato
Maj as you can re-create the issue on another terminal I'd highly advise clearing the voicemail settings (either through the android phone app or using GSM short codes) and if that doesn't work (tested SIM on your known working handset) call up EE support. They can see realtime your attachment to masts, see the terminating codes for all calls etc... Voice calls are carried via 2/3/4g on EE so the attached air interface isn't really useful here (and your phone likely uses all three air interfaces as time goes on for power reasons). If you want to know typically you can see this info in the debug app for hte manufacturer or if you have root you can use LTE Discovery (app).

Will give that a go thanks. I've also noticed that the mobile data icon in top-right of screen tends to be greyed out a lot too. Occasionally the left part of the icon turns white for a few seconds then goes back to grey.

maj

maj

Soldato
Something else I've noticed is that when I'm scrolling text on my phone (like Facebook comments or a web page) it will randomly highlight text and ask me what to do with it. I'm not pressing on the screen for it to do that. It's as if I've got a damaged screen but can't see anything wrong with it. With regards to Facebook it only does it when I'm reading comments and not my news feed.

Soldato
Something else I've noticed is that when I'm scrolling text on my phone (like Facebook comments or a web page) it will randomly highlight text and ask me what to do with it. I'm not pressing on the screen for it to do that. It's as if I've got a damaged screen but can't see anything wrong with it. With regards to Facebook it only does it when I'm reading comments and not my news feed.
I have the same 'issue'. Not sure if it's the FB app, MIUI or the phone itself.

Associate
Hi all,

I'm getting pretty fed up with my Xperia T... support from Sony stopped ages ago, the current Lollipop builds on XDA run pretty poorly for me and are infrequently updated and I never seem to have enough app space despite moving everything I can to SD card. On the plus side I drop it almost daily and it's never cracked - build quality is amazing from that point of view.

I'm looking at replacing it and feel a bit miffed to have missed out on the super cheap Elephone P7000 pre-sale. Is there anything else out there in the £100-150 bracket worth looking at?

Also not sure where's best to buy from really - the best prices inevitably seem to come with the risk of import taxes.

Not fussed about camera quality, just want a nice snappy smooth experience and decent build quality. Good XDA developer support would be a bonus (or at least coming with lollipop). I'm on Three.
I would avoid Elephone... I had recommended them based on P5000 but things have changed, as my post.. re P9000. Poor quality, bad service, unhonoured warranty..

maj

maj

Soldato
Has anyone seen the mi6?

Wow I want that device. Shame it does not have an sdcard slot otherwise I would have bought it.

For the price versus performance I've been impressed by the Mi5 and probably equally so if I got the Mi6 when released but I miss being able to save media to an SD card rather than to internal memory. I'll probably have to skip it for another model if I get a Xiaomi phone again but we'll see. From the article I've just read they've gone down the apple route of having no headphone jack. They believe USB-C is the future which may well be true but I'd need some sort of adapter as my car stereo has neither usb or bluetooth.

I have the same 'issue'. Not sure if it's the FB app, MIUI or the phone itself.

Facebook, happens on my wifes p8 lite.

Well good to know it's not a problem with my phone itself then, even if it can be annoying at times when it happens.

Soldato
So just got myself a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 and am very impressed with it so far. The only real gripe is the way it handles notifications.

I've searched for a way so that it just shows I've received a text or WhatsApp from a contact rather than displaying a the message itself and can't find it for the life of me! On my iPhone it would just come up with a notification to say new message from X but this displays the full message. It's driving me mad!

Any help greatly appreciated

maj

maj

Soldato
So just got myself a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 and am very impressed with it so far. The only real gripe is the way it handles notifications.

I've searched for a way so that it just shows I've received a text or WhatsApp from a contact rather than displaying a the message itself and can't find it for the life of me! On my iPhone it would just come up with a notification to say new message from X but this displays the full message. It's driving me mad!

Any help greatly appreciated

For texts I think you'll need to use something like Textra to hide the actual text content. I don't think the default MIUI messenger app has that feature. Not sure about WhatsApp.

maj

maj

Soldato
A launcher might solve this but going to ask anyway. I have my phone configured so I have my home page, a second page full of apps, a third screen with just one app on and and a fourth screen with a full screen calendar widget on it. When I install a new app it is putting the icon on a new page after my calendar rather than the putting it on the third screen meaning I have then have five screen and have to move the icon to the correct page and then delete the screen it created.

Soldato
For texts I think you'll need to use something like Textra to hide the actual text content. I don't think the default MIUI messenger app has that feature. Not sure about WhatsApp.

Yep, textra has sorted this. Still need to figure out a way to hide the WhatsApp previews; from searching it seems to be a known problem and was only recently introduced in to the MIUI version. There are workarounds but they completely hide the detail of the WhatsApp message not just the contents so you have no idea who sent you the message, just that you have one.

Soldato
What are the competitors of the Redmi 4X at £106 (Gearbest) for the 3GB/32GB version? Is there anything better?

Looking to replace my iPhone SE which replaced a Redmi 3 which I was very happy with (stupid move, I know, but at least I can sell the iPhone for almost as much as I paid for it). I prefer the bigger screen and don't need a powerful phone, just great battery life.

EDIT: Decided to go with the Redmi Note 4 64GB Global Edition in Matt Black for £130 shipped with insurance. Seems reasonable for the better screen, more powerful chip, better camera, etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
What are the competitors of the Redmi 4X at £106 (Gearbest) for the 3GB/32GB version? Is there anything better?

Looking to replace my iPhone SE which replaced a Redmi 3 which I was very happy with (stupid move, I know, but at least I can sell the iPhone for almost as much as I paid for it). I prefer the bigger screen and don't need a powerful phone, just great battery life.

EDIT: Decided to go with the Redmi Note 4 64GB Global Edition in Matt Black for £130 shipped with insurance. Seems reasonable for the better screen, more powerful chip, better camera, etc.

Where from, and what network are you on.

Back
Top Bottom