**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Permabanned
According to Value Walk, there are three variants of the next Pixel and they are expecting the phones to drop in July.

The three Pixel 2 phones are reportedly carry the internal names of Muskie, Walleye and Taimen. Until now, esp including the Nexus line of phones, Google has limited itself to 2 releases rather than 3. Value Walk is talking about a budget friendly price for the Pixel 2.

Some new features are expected to include a camera which carries LED screens in a wrap-around display, no headphone jack, a USB-C port to attract gamers, a superior camera to the iPhone 7 Plus, better battery life and of course Android O pre-loaded (O = Oreo?).

Tempted?

Permabanned
OP
According to Value Walk, there are three variants of the next Pixel and they are expecting the phones to drop in July.

The three Pixel 2 phones are reportedly carry the internal names of Muskie, Walleye and Taimen. Until now, esp including the Nexus line of phones, Google has limited itself to 2 releases rather than 3. Value Walk is talking about a budget friendly price for the Pixel 2.

Some new features are expected to include a camera which carries LED screens in a wrap-around display, no headphone jack, a USB-C port to attract gamers, a superior camera to the iPhone 7 Plus, better battery life and of course Android O pre-loaded (O = Oreo?).

Tempted?

http://www.valuewalk.com/2017/05/google-pixel-2-release-date-specs/

Soldato
"Wrap-around display" - don't want.
"No headphone jack" is not a feature.
"USB-C port to attract gamers". What?

It won't be a budget phone by any stretch of the imagination, though I suspect one of the releases maybe more budget friendly than the others.

And who the heck are Value Walk?

Am I interested? If any the highlighted points above are true then nope.

Soldato
I think I will be holding on to my 6p for a while longer yet. Phones have hit a brick wall IMO, where any new features are gimmicky and pretty useless. Plus they demand a lot of money for it too.

Permabanned
OP
I think I will be holding on to my 6p for a while longer yet. Phones have hit a brick wall IMO, where any new features are gimmicky and pretty useless. Plus they demand a lot of money for it too.

I wonder if you have a view on VR? I am very excited about its potential. I expect to see many more apps and phones developed to support it.

More than 10 million phones are expected to be launched this year supporting Google Daydream, including Samsung's Galaxy 8 family and LG's flagship phones. There are already more than 150 apps supporting Daydream. And more than 10,000 360 degree videos posted on YouTube. Clearly as the original Pixel supports Daydream, the next Pixels will too. I will wish to keep up with this trend and a newer Pixel with better display (OLED wrap around?) and better Chrome OS support should help.

Add to the mix Google's recently announced Visual Positioning Service, and integrating it with GPS, should open a huge market for VR and AR applications. One immediate application was showcased at I/O where holding up your Tango-ready phone in a large store like Homebase or PCWorld Currys and instead of getting lost your phone guides you to the correct aisle and shelf where you want to find a particular item (indoor mapping made simple). Asus' Tango-ready Zen Phone AR, to be launched later this year, should attract attention too. This is just one of many possible applications.

For those who are visually impaired, audio interfaces paired with VPS could help them find their way around a lot better.

Smartphones "hitting a brick wall"? I think not.

Soldato
Add to the mix Google's recently announced Visual Positioning Service, and integrating it with GPS, should open a huge market for VR and AR applications. One immediate application was showcased at I/O where holding up your Tango-ready phone in a large store like Homebase or PCWorld Currys and instead of getting lost your phone guides you to the correct aisle and shelf where you want to find a particular item (indoor mapping made simple). Asus' Tango-ready Zen Phone AR, to be launched later this year, should attract attention too. This is just one of many possible applications.

Smartphone makers are just desperately flailing around looking for answers to problems that don't exist. Want to know where a product is in a store? Well you could get your phone out and find the right app, hand over all your personal information to the business, search for the product you're looking for and then walk around holding your phone in front of you.

OR

Look at the signage, walk to appropriate section.

OR

Speak to a member of staff who can not only show you where the thing you're looking for is, but also help you with the purchase.

Smartphones peaked years ago. Good enough screens, good enough connectivity, good enough cameras. Premium device makers are doing a wonderful job of losing customers with this current fad going backwards on the connectivity part. Apple have lost a long-term customer in my other half because of it, and Google have lost me if this new Pixel lacking an audio jack is true.

Soldato
The biggest thing frustrating me about new phone releases (besides the incremental improvements) is the fact that the prices keep rising. I know Brexit has borked the exchange rate, but prices were rising before then. These things should be getting cheaper as technology and manufacturing advance, not the other way round.

Soldato
A bit like you could just follow road signs and not need SatNav?

Do you normally need satnav when you're navigating a shop?

I can't say I have ever felt the need for electronic assistance for such a mundane task, maybe it's something other people struggle with :confused:

Soldato
Do you normally need satnav when you're navigating a shop?

I can't say I have ever felt the need for electronic assistance for such a mundane task, maybe it's something other people struggle with :confused:
A 30min drive home from work, check the route on Google maps for any incidents. Is that enough for you?

Associate
... One immediate application was showcased at I/O where holding up your Tango-ready phone in a large store like Homebase or PCWorld Currys and instead of getting lost your phone guides you to the correct aisle and shelf where you want to find a particular item (indoor mapping made simple)....

With new product lines and stores having regular stock rotation data like this would require regular if not daily updates.. this will never happen. Google maps hasn't been updated to show a roundabout next to where i live as being removed and replaced with a junction and this happened months ago, so how long would these store updates take..

ironically, waze who are owned by google had this junction shown correctly within 2 days.

Soldato
You don't think shops already have this data, that changes as the layouts do? It would only be a matter of marrying them up. I'm not saying it's easy, but it's not that hard. I already have an app that I can a barcode and it tells me which layout, shelf and sequence the item is, it would just need to fit into whatever Google decided was the standard and to a map of the shop.

Soldato
A 30min drive home from work, check the route on Google maps for any incidents. Is that enough for you?

I'm not saying Satnav for driving and traffic information isn't useful, of course it is. It's also been around for years.

I'm questioning the need for navigation aids in a shop. It's a classic example of a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. An expensive solution, compared to just having a sales assistant....which even the tech gods Apple recognise is an absolutely essential part of the retail experience.

Do people really think "I wish I could take my phone out and mess with the app for shop X (and sign over all my personal details, usual procedure), then wave the phone around to point me to a product, this whole asking a human being where something is and having them show me the way and offer to help is AWFUL"

If THAT is what is being touted as a great leap forward for smartphone tech.....then it just proves the point that it's matured and no-one is really innovating anymore.

Associate
You don't think shops already have this data, that changes as the layouts do? It would only be a matter of marrying them up. I'm not saying it's easy, but it's not that hard. I already have an app that I can a barcode and it tells me which layout, shelf and sequence the item is, it would just need to fit into whatever Google decided was the standard and to a map of the shop.

but supermarkets don't want you find your product straightaway, it's why they rotate their stock.

they want you to go wondering around in the hope you come across something you don't usually buy and think 'mmm.. i think i'll try that'

Soldato
but supermarkets don't want you find your product straightaway, it's why they rotate their stock.

they want you to go wondering around in the hope you come across something you don't usually buy and think 'mmm.. i think i'll try that'

Indeed, a customer that knows the quickest route to the product they think they want is a bad customer.

The customer that wanders around the shop aimlessly for half an hour, going "ooh" and putting stuff in their trolley, before getting to the thing they want is what retailers are after.

Back
Top Bottom