Homehub Replacement Advice

TJM

TJM

Associate
What am I looking for?
HG612 3B.

I don't think the difference the 1B/2B/3B is dramatic but you might as well have the latest. If photos attached to an auction don't include one of the underside, which has the model number printed in large letters, get another one.

TJM

TJM

Associate
Yup, G.fast is a different standard, so don't worry about the 100Mb ports on the current modems as you aren't in any danger of being able to exceed that throughput. And I don't believe Openreach are working on increasing speeds on the existing service (at least at the higher end - the eventual ADSL shutdown is intended to help people on longer lines with lower speeds).

Soldato
Would definitely recommend an Asus RT-AC68U + ECI Modem. Used to have an RT-N66U + modem which was getting a bit old so splashed out on Ubiquiti gear. Moving out of my parents place now so taking that kit with me, bought them the newer Asus and its getting better 5GHz range than the ubiquiti stuff!

Associate
As im in the same boat, a bt smart hub 6 user.I've been looking into getting the asus router.But which is better Asus RT-AC68U or the modem model asus dsl-ac68u.I already own the separate modem 3B type,just this will then mean more wires lying around.As i have max of £150 to buy a replacement for the smart hub 6, whats the best option.
thanks for your time.

TJM

TJM

Associate
As im in the same boat, a bt smart hub 6 user.I've been looking into getting the asus router.But which is better Asus RT-AC68U or the modem model asus dsl-ac68u.I already own the separate modem 3B type,just this will then mean more wires lying around.As i have max of £150 to buy a replacement for the smart hub 6, whats the best option.
thanks for your time.
I would use separates unless the extra box and cabling don't pass the wife acceptance test. Merlin's firmware, which is a real improvement over the stock, isn't fully compatible with the DSL version (it will work as a router only). On top of that, the 3B is the most reliable modem going.

Associate
I would use separates unless the extra box and cabling don't pass the wife acceptance test. Merlin's firmware, which is a real improvement over the stock, isn't fully compatible with the DSL version (it will work as a router only). On top of that, the 3B is the most reliable modem going.
so i will go with the two box set up, will my modem work or will it need unlocked, ive already had it working at my address as i got it when i was on with plusnet.
thanks

TJM

TJM

Associate
so i will go with the two box set up, will my modem work or will it need unlocked, ive already had it working at my address as i got it when i was on with plusnet.
thanks
The modem will work. The only configuration that might be needed is during the router setup - if it can't connect to the internet automatically, use [email protected] as the username when the setup wizard asks (the password doesn't matter - leave it blank or use 'password').

Associate
The modem will work. The only configuration that might be needed is during the router setup - if it can't connect to the internet automatically, use [email protected] as the username when the setup wizard asks (the password doesn't matter - leave it blank or use 'password').
Will do, thanks very much for getting back.Much appreciated spot on

Soldato
Asus have never made a combined FTTC modem/router that is worth using. The older ones were OK for DSL/2e but VDSL had major issues (a thread with hundreds of posts exists). Password can be blank or anything you want - some routers require something, but BT ignore it.

TJM

TJM

Associate
Hi all,

Quick question - can anyone advise why my HG612 says the attainable line rate is 47192 however, my sync speed is 41725?
Don't worry about it. The sync speed will always be lower as the attainable rate excludes overhead and error correction that is needed for the data connection to work.

JLJ

JLJ

Associate
I'm having issues with BT Fibre and am thinking of getting this HG612 3B. Will the ones selling on ebay for £11 be suitable?
I have a ASUS router to sort out the wireless bit.

Soldato
I'm having issues with BT Fibre and am thinking of getting this HG612 3B. Will the ones selling on ebay for £11 be suitable?
I have a ASUS router to sort out the wireless bit.

Thread necro much?

If you have ‘issues’ then investigate/resolve them before hand. New hardware won’t for example fix a line fault, but it may assist in identifying a hardware issue, that said you’re being overly vague so i’d not suggest anything at this stage.

Back
Top Bottom