Retro console and games thread

Soldato
While I'm no fan of high prices, if you allow for inflation, most retro games are cheaper now than they were new.

I bought Street Fighter II for the Mega Drive in 1993 at a cost of £59.99. That's £112 in today's money and far less than most retro games cost.

Most of the PlayStation games I bought in 1996 were between £44.99 and £49.99. That's £86 today and only a handful of PS1 games sell for more than £100 relative to how many were released.

10000 posts in this thread since it started. Here's to another 10000

Lets be honest, its down to pure greed. Years ago collecting retro games was an unknown hobby. Now prices have been jacked up because of the people not collecting but doing it to sell on.

The hobby has now become the new money making scheme. Pushes us genuine collectors out :(

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Lets be honest, its down to pure greed. Years ago collecting retro games was an unknown hobby. Now prices have been jacked up because of the people not collecting but doing it to sell on.

The hobby has now become the new money making scheme. Pushes us genuine collectors out :(

That's just capitalism. Supply and demand. No worse than antiques, comics or any other thing that people decide to collect.

Plenty of antique dealers who have genuine love paintings but will happily make profit on a chair they bought for cheap to fund the paintings. Does that mean that chair collectors see them as greedy?

If I'd have kept all the games I bought for Master System, Mega Drive and PlayStation I would've ended up spending way more money, than trading them in to fund newer games. It's generally been far cheaper to rebuy everything now than hanging on to originals.

Associate
Morning all, I've decided that I miss all my 90s consoles, particularly the sega variety and want to start building a collection again. Where should I start hunting for games (ebay excluded)?
Its also worthwhile just letting people you work with and family and friends know that you want old consoles and games aswell. Ive had a good few pickups off work colleagues and friends just by spreading the word :)

Soldato
Picked up Pokemon Sapphire from CEX, when I tried to save it failed. The cartridge has a holographic sticker and the casing is a see through dark blue. It took my GBA SP a few flicks to turn on..

Does my GBA need charging or do I need to replace the games battery?

It also says "gameplay cannot be continued, returning to the title screen" after I set the clock and before.

Also opened up the casing as much as I could, but cannot locate a battery, just several chips? It has Nintendo and a serial number above the pins..

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm looks OK, are there some numbers indented into the sticker above the gold Nintendo seal? You won't see the battery without opening it up as it's mostly hidden behind the sticker. TBH, if it's broke and you've just bought it from CEX I'd just go exchange it.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
I was sure there should be as well, from what I can tell aside, it's legit. sticker is holographic, etc.

I can't open it up properly as I have no tri wing screwdriver. Have to make to do with front and back shots.

http://oi65.tinypic.com/spkysj.jpg
http://oi64.tinypic.com/w7len9.jpg

On mobile sorry if their sideways.

Get a cheap pen lid, heat it up and press it over the screw. Once it's cooled you should be able to use it long enough to do a couple of screws.

It's a handy fix for these types of things. :)

Associate
Added a new game to the saturn collection today with some credit I had at cex. Took a risk with just the boxed version but it came with manual and it ok shape so im happy.

Soldato
Got a refund at CEX.

Final Fantasy Anthology was £24, Pokemon Fire Red (has a battery!) and Pokemon Gold were £20 for both from my local retro shop.

2n9i0ps.jpg

Edit: Tried both games, they successfully save unlike before, with no error messages. But when I turn it back on there's no save. Cause of a low GBA battery?

Last edited:
Associate
Got a refund at CEX.

Final Fantasy Anthology was £24, Pokemon Fire Red (has a battery!) and Pokemon Gold were £20 for both from my local retro shop.

2n9i0ps.jpg

Edit: Tried both games, they successfully save unlike before, with no error messages. But when I turn it back on there's no save. Cause of a low GBA battery?

Associate
might be just the pictures but they both look like fakes to me.

Pokemon fire red has no internal battery, the print/colour looks off to.

Associate
Have to be really careful with GBA games, especially USA ones. Loads of fakes in my local CEX. Some decent youtube videos on how to check. The Fire Red looks like a fake to me, can't really tell with the Gold.

Soldato
Ok, if push comes to shove and the battery still doesnt do the job, where on earth do I get legit ones from? I know how to check, fire red had no "blob" or red sticker like Sapphire did.

Associate
Can be difficult getting genuine pokemon games online to be honest. There are some really good fakes out there nowadays. For a start off I'd try stick to buying 'PAL' ones.

Associate
Your Gold looks absolutely fine to me, not so sure about FireRed but that's a cheapy anyway so I wouldn't worry about it. £20 for both is still good.

Not storing your save after switching off is classic dead battery symptoms, you can pick the batteries up on eBay for £1-2 each and they're quick and easy to change with a soldering iron. The GB, GBC ones use a larger 2025 battery than the GBA ones which are 1616. You can use the smaller 1616 in both, but not the other way around.

Associate
not posted for a while (family stuff going on etc) but had chance to go to Revival:The Rivals event in walsall on saturday and picked up the following

Game Boy Advance Tribal (sadly not a 101) £22
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 (£5)
Golden Sun (£10)
Harry Potter And The Philosophers Stone (£5)
The Sims Bustin Out (£6)
Pokemon Ruby (was marked at £10 but talked the guy down to £8 due to dead battery)
Advance Wars (£10)
Sim City 2000 (£8) this one was boxed and in good condition
Yoshis Island Super Mario Advance 3 (£10)
Super Mario World Super Mario Advance 2 (£10)

Back
Top Bottom