Formula Boinc 2017

Soldato
the temps are pretty decent in my house on the server, im tempted to stop all GPU work , I had to remove the 290 from the kids pc for now, even with it at idle the crappy cpu cooler is causing it to overheat nearly. and my main pc is getting stupid hot.
or at the very least strip down and make sure theres no dust in fan filters ect and apply new thermal paste

Soldato
hay tony the heat over in the uk is really hot these last few days, and I m sure none of us have air con either? how is the heat over there

Last edited:

Xez

Xez

Associate
Ordered a CPU cooler for my main computer as my core temps on the stock cooler are hitting 100c! Also a cheap GPU for my microserver for if we get a sprint that can use a GPU. Should also help with my Plax playback.

We won't be staying innthe position we are in at the moment for long :(

PDW

PDW

Associate
Ordered a CPU cooler for my main computer as my core temps on the stock cooler are hitting 100c! Also a cheap GPU for my microserver for if we get a sprint that can use a GPU. Should also help with my Plax playback.

We won't be staying innthe position we are in at the moment for long :(
Toasty :D
Will be a fair bit quieter as well once fitted :)

MGP

MGP

Soldato
I'm down to a feeble 28 CPU threads.

The 64P ran it's last race with me for the Pentathlon and has been disassembled. It may rise from the ashes one day with a certain madman on this here forum, but not in time for this sprint.

Associate
hay tony the heat over in the uk is really hot these last few days, and I m sure none of us have air con either? how is the heat over there

Looks like London was just a touch warmer today then here in TN, but it has been unseasonably chilly the previous few days. We have another user on the other side of the continent, who was likewise experiencing unseasonably warm temps, in Oregon.

Goodness Xez, 100C is a chip killer. I'm surprised the built in protections didn't kick in. VERY hard to go wrong with Noctua. Way cooler temps with mine than I get on a Corsair i100 240mm radiator kit.

Xez

Xez

Associate
Well and truely been taken overnight! If i could afford the electricity bill i would have quite a few old Dell R630's to utilise all with 64 CPU's from work!

Soldato
https://ibb.co/ivHDkv
ran out of water, I may of had enough but I knocked the jug over and split half of it, ill get more from Tesco later and finish testing for leaks
yes the rad on the bottom is wonky! I had to pull the left side up so the pipe wouldn't kink to much from the pump

Associate
https://ibb.co/ivHDkv
ran out of water, I may of had enough but I knocked the jug over and split half of it, ill get more from Tesco later and finish testing for leaks
yes the rad on the bottom is wonky! I had to pull the left side up so the pipe wouldn't kink to much from the pump

yeah, now that's more my style :) Up to you of course but id turn the pump so that the pipe came out from the bottom and then put a long fill pipe in the spare pump body higher than the rest of the rig. Also is there enough air getting behind the rads? Maybe mount them at 90o and pull air up through them? Wish I had 1 of those to play with tho, 1 day :)
ps if your using distilled water get a silver kill coil to keep the gunk at bay, they work wonders

Edit: or have the pump vertical, in and out from the sides and fill it from the top hole?

Last edited:
Soldato
it is indeed MGP old rig, there is a silver coil in there, I did wonder what it was at first ha. ive already changed the set up since I posted that pic, its all ready for me to install windows server, just setting up a USB stick now with it on, BUT there is a tragic death. one of the 80cm fans I had on one of the 32 core boards cooling some heatsink fell of, not sure when and the board is now dead, exactly what happened to the last one I got of Ba. for 2 hours ive been trying everything, new HDD , ram , even swapped the heatsinks from the other server :(

I have a corsair 900d waiting for me just not at my house, when I can be bothered ill get it and some new tubing and stick it in a case. but I just wanted it working for now

Soldato
trying to install windows server 2012 and its getting no were, says there isn't an HDD installed when it gets to the select drive part. drive is good as ive had it in another system. just going to try windows server 2008 now and see if that works.

Back
Top Bottom