Mondeo woes round 2...

Soldato
mk3 2.0 tdci 115.

Today on my way to hospital with my son, the battery light came up on the dash, no running problems so i carried on.

Out the hospital and it comes up again after 5 mins of driving and the window wipers are very slow operating. I also turn the air vents on and sidelights and the dash goes off (speedo, fuel gage etc) and abs light comes on too, but the car still drives fine? Abs light goes off and dashboard works again after i turn the sidelights off but battery lights stays on.

Would this be the alternator or battery or both?

Any ideas?

Cheers :(

Associate
Got a multimeter to stick across the terminals while the car is running? should read around 14v, give or take a bit.

If not then it may point to the alternator.....

Associate
I had a similar-ish problem with my MK1 focus a few years ago; lights on the dash came on, needles went haywire. Took it to a garage and they said the board behind the dash was shot and they would need to send it away to some firm in Newcastle to refurb it, cost about £250. Had to get it done as it would have failed the MOT and a new one from Ford was abut £800.

Soldato
OP
Hopefully not that! My needles dont go all over the place, just die when any electrical load is turned on ie lights, turn them off and they return to normal?

So if the battery voltage drops when headlights etc are turned on it would be the alternator? I have never has this light on my dash with previous dead batteries.

Anything else should be changed at same time if the garage agrees that it is the alternator.

Cheers

Soldato
If the battery light comes on while driving it's usually the alternator, but it may have just thrown the belt or broken a connection. The battery must be starting to go flat hence the slow wipers and other symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom