Ramadan 2017

Caporegime
Did they have the science to back up the toxins back when the religion started. If not then chances are its still very much to do with religion..

I'm curious why you say that- is there any religious claim made re: 'toxins'? As far as I'm aware this is just the claim made by the work colleague of the other poster above.

Soldato
Just general interest really. A small minority of your......(Jeez its late and I can't think of the words but I'm sure you know what I mean) have had some bad press lately. And I have only ever met decent respectful Muslims.

It'll be nice to follow a thread that talks about the effect your faith has on your lives etc. Without it descending into a "Sky fairies thread"

Just for openness I'm not really religious. I will pray at weddings and funerals (with the crowd) as I am respectful that other people have beliefs etc
I was born Muslim and in many ways took if for granted for a long time.

I.e. Never really used to pray, only fasted due to parents and culture etc.

Around 7 years ago I went through quite a tough time and lost pretty much all motivation to do anything anymore. Don't know if it was depression or whatever, never went to get it checked out but that turned out to be the turning point in my faith.

I became quite practicing. Started praying and fasting with intent. Giving to charity. Went through the motions of questioning everything and looking for answers in a religion I thought I knew. Turns out that we practiced a very cultural version of Islam and some of the things we did were not in the religion at all.

Since finding the faith so to speak, my life has been completely different. I got married, have a decent job, beautiful baby girl, nothing at all to complain about and mentally I'm in a much better place.

Now that may not have to do with religion or faith at all, but I honestly have felt something significant change, almost as tho something / someone has been watching over me. Every decision I have made and everything I have done since has worked in my favour. Even negative things. (again this may just be my perception of events but still, silver lining and all that)

So yeah, it's had a huge impact on me personally and I'm at peace with it. Feels weird writing all this down. Think about it all the time but first time I've actually expressed it...

Soldato
@skaif

Nice one..I think everyone needs a motivator in life. Be that Religion, Work, Family, Money etc And I think as long as that motivator doesn't have a negative effect on the rest of anyones life then it can only be a good thing.

As I've mentioned before I'm not religious. But that doesn't mean I'm anti religion either. Whatever anyone needs/wants to have in their life that brings them happiness is fine with me.

To be honest I have some religious friends who dont ram it down my throat. But on the other hand I have friends who support football and thats ALL they talk about...

Caporegime
How is that not dangerous especially when the weather is this hot? How do you avoid dehydration?
Its NOT that hot, how do you think people in the hit countries fast?? Ie Saudi, Dubai etc etc where it hits 40c during the day.

And no it's not dangerous, scientifically proven that body can survive a good 10hrs+ without water. If it was that dangerous then we wouldn't be told to fast by our religion.

Associate
Out of interest why do you look forward to it? I thought most people undertaking it look forward to finishing it/havng the feast at the end?
Interestingly, I often state that 'I am not looking forward to Ramadam.' Then the response is always in the negative, as though I have sinned for uttering such a statement.
I do perform all the fasts, however, I try to inform the people who think that I have transgressed that I consider fasting a hindrance and a burden.

Man of Honour
Also fasting is incredibly good for you. I now fast for a 36hr period once a week. Not to lose weight, but for the hormonal benefits and actually giving the body a break from digesting is also proven to be hugely beneficial.

Caporegime
Interestingly, I often state that 'I am not looking forward to Ramadam.' Then the response is always in the negative, as though I have sinned for uttering such a statement.
I do perform all the fasts, however, I try to inform the people who think that I have transgressed that I consider fasting a hindrance and a burden.

That makes sense - as an outsider that is how I think I'd look at it if I were a muslim, obviously it is a part of the religion and something to endure etc.. but I don't think I'd look forward to it particularly - perhaps feel a sense of accomplishment after doing it though.

Caporegime
Its NOT that hot, how do you think people in the hit countries fast?? Ie Saudi, Dubai etc etc where it hits 40c during the day.

And no it's not dangerous, scientifically proven that body can survive a good 10hrs+ without water. If it was that dangerous then we wouldn't be told to fast by our religion.

I spend the entire month of Ramadan in 2008 working with a few hundred people in the Tunisian desert, in August. Still don't know how they managed to work outside all day without so much as a drink during the day. Felt very guilty guzzling litres of freezing water around them. :D

There were no medical issues relating from it as far as I know.

Good luck to you all, rather you guys than me! :p

Last edited:
Soldato

Religions have many silly practises, regardless whether your religion tells you to not, or do something is besides the point.

thankfully science tells us that "dehydration can cause undesirable side effects such as: constipation, headache, dizziness, tiredness and dry skin." So once again science trumps religious dogma.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
The hotter countries have a shorter fastting period, 15 hours vs our 18 hours here. I certainly havent found it difficult, but i manage my intake very carefully, plenty of water and slow release carbs, has worked well for the past few years, its nice not having to worry about food and tea etc.

Soldato
thankfully science tells us that "dehydration can cause undesirable side effects such as: constipation, headache, dizziness, tiredness and dry skin." So once again science trumps religious dogma.
Science may tell you that about dehydration... the point we're making is we don't become dehydrated in that period we are fasting for (as you drink plenty in the morning before beginning the fast). Otherwise there would be muslims all over the world ending up with those issues/symptoms thinking "hang on, surely we shouldn't be doing this?" - that's not the case.

Ramadan Mubarak to all :)

Associate
Genuine question here, hope it doesn't cause any offence,

Just wondering how difficult people actually find fasting, seems to be made out to be a big deal when i would imagine it shouldn't be that difficult unless the weather is very hot and/or you have a very physical job.

For the last 6-7 years since i started my current job i have ended up living a sort of fasting lifestyle to fit around work

I get up, get ready for work and straight in the van, no breakfast or drink, work 8-12 hrs shifts with no lunch 90%+ of the time unless work is very quiet, then i might have lunch on those rare days, get home after 8-12 hrs and have dinner at 8-9pm

so you could say most of the time i eat every 24hrs and don't find this difficult
water wise i cant drink much as no access to toilet facilities in van so most i will have is a sip of water if mouth dry or sometimes nothing if no water in the van that day etc

Sometimes get dry mouth or feel a bit sick from empty stomach etc but if busy don't notice as work keeps you occupied etc

Also now wondering after seeing posts in this thread if i am getting any health benefits from this, always assumed it would be all negative, increase risk of kidney stones etc

Back
Top Bottom