Which tv's support playback of x265 files

Associate
As above
currently i have a panasonic 2011 plasma that will not playback x265 files, i am thinking of upgrading anyway so may aswell kill 2 birds with 1 stone and buy a tv that plays x265.

how do i find a tv that supports this file type?

cheers

Soldato
most 4k tv's do, since netflix 4k app, available on most 4k tv is using it.
At 4k resolution, with the requirement to keep the streaming bandwidth down, it is the only way to go,
if you look at tv pdf manuals it tells you what version and bitrates of x265 are supported via plex/usb media.
BUT vp9 is now used by utube 4k, so need to ensure vp9 level 2 is also there, I believe netflix may switch to this soon (royalty free)

Associate
OP
thanks for the reply even though i only understood a little of it :( not looked at tv's for 5yrs so plex/usb media am not sure what that is and vp9 level 2 has just gone over my head, i guess i have some reading to do :)

so i looked at the spec of 1 tv and it said this

4K Ultra HD compatibility - Video CODEC: HEVC H.264 - 4k HDR

would this mean h.265 is not supported or is supported?

the tv model is this just grabbed it out of thin air and is not the tv i am going to buy
LG OLED55C6V Smart 3D 4k Ultra HD HDR 55" Curved OLED TV

Last edited:
Soldato
Just buy a media player, compared to a cheap £30 Sumvision, the TV's playback is pretty poor. Most things work but many do not, so it's not worth the hassle. And when your media player is out of date just replace it for another £30

Associate
OP
Just buy a media player, compared to a cheap £30 Sumvision, the TV's playback is pretty poor. Most things work but many do not, so it's not worth the hassle. And when your media player is out of date just replace it for another £30

yeah i see what your saying but i fancy a new tv so may aswell kill 2 birds with one stone

Soldato
;) ok the LG manuals look pretty poor and do not go into much detail I admit,
but here was a samsung doc

)
Supported Media File types for your SUHD TV (UN**KS****)

HEVC (H.265 - Main, Main 10, Main 4:2:2 10)

60 fps max 80

VP9

4096x2160 4096x2160: 60 40

..... so I would conclude vp9 level 2 used by utube cannot be played via usb

similar info exists for panasonic I have

this https://www.mediadimo.com/tv-supported-format.html
also suggest othe folks could not find the data for LG - lol
whats the problem with LG - rubbish documentation. (maybe an oled owener will correct me)

Associate
I can only add that from my experience Samsung have a very wide range of supported formats for USB playback it's one of the reasons I've gone for a UE49KS7000. That and the fact that this year's replacement model (UE49MU7000) costs nearly twice as much with generally inferior IQ.

Soldato
I can only add that from my experience Samsung have a very wide range of supported formats for USB playback it's one of the reasons I've gone for a UE49KS7000. That and the fact that this year's replacement model (UE49MU7000) costs nearly twice as much with generally inferior IQ.

Out of interest, this years models will only just be launching over next few months, why is the IQ lower?
Have they been up to funny business?

Soldato

price does halve in one year though
only trick was the UE49MU7000 are 10 bit and UN49MU7000 8bit afaik

About x265, I do not understand whether the correct interpretation of HDR10 meta data is guaranteed for x265 usb media, the tv spec's do not mention both together.

The demo uhd site http://demo-uhd3d.com/
has various downloadable x265 media some of which are labelled as working on some tv's and not others

Associate
The MU7000 also has a 60hz panel as opposed to 120hz on the KS7000. And yes the price has dropped significantly but it's clearly the better buy if it can still be found when buying now. Sadly mine failed so I went with a KS8000 instead (my first had a central dead pixel so I'm awaiting a replacement now).

When it arrives I'll try downloading some of those files and see what happens.

Associate
thanks for the reply even though i only understood a little of it :( not looked at tv's for 5yrs so plex/usb media am not sure what that is and vp9 level 2 has just gone over my head, i guess i have some reading to do :)

so i looked at the spec of 1 tv and it said this

4K Ultra HD compatibility - Video CODEC: HEVC H.264 - 4k HDR

would this mean h.265 is not supported or is supported?

the tv model is this just grabbed it out of thin air and is not the tv i am going to buy
LG OLED55C6V Smart 3D 4k Ultra HD HDR 55" Curved OLED TV

x264 is the free open source (i think) codec for h264. that's AVC (advanced video coding or codec). so x265 is the same to h265 otherwise known as HEVC (high efficiency video coding/codec). if it does HEVC with HDR then i'd imagine you're golden. i think HDR by default covers 10bit too (i'd imagine it has to).

FYI, some sets claim 10bit but really are 8bit with dithering. some do it well though but still not actually 10bit. they get away with it since technically it accepts a 10bit signal but essentially downgrades it and shows an 8bit image from a 10bit source. still better than a plain old 8bit feed though

Caporegime
yeah i see what your saying but i fancy a new tv so may aswell kill 2 birds with one stone

killing 2 birds with 1 stone isn't always better though.

i mean if you have a choice of 2 tv's

1 has much better picture quality - but can't play a file you wan to play

the second had worse picture quality - but will play the file.

do you for the sake of spending less than £50 on an amazon fire tv buy the crap tv which can play the file you want?

buy the best tv and worry about the media later. it's an easy fix.

Soldato
At least for Sony they have all the supported formats clearly stated on the model's page, e.g. XF90:

USB Playback Codecs: MPEG1:MPEG1/MPEG2PS:MPEG2/MPEG2TS(HDV,AVCHD):MPEG2,AVC/MP4(XAVC S):AVC,MPEG4,HEVC/AVI:Xvid,MotionJpeg/ASF(WMV):VC1/MOV:AVC,MPEG4,MotionJpeg/MKV:Xvid,AVC,MPEG4,VP8.HEVC/WEBM:VP8/3GPP:MPEG4,AVC/MP3/ASF(WMA)/WAV/MP4AAC/FLAC/JPEG

Soldato
* this was a necro'd thread - yea ? *

At least for Sony they have all the supported formats clearly stated on the model's page, e.g. XF90:
you didn't show vp9.2. ? (I use get_youtube app) - from flatpanels/best reviews ...but, maybe fixed now w/oreo etc.
YouTube 4K HDR
4K (3840x2160 pixels) – 10 bit colors - Rec.2020 color space – 4:2:0 subsampling – VP9 Profile2 4K works
HDR fails

I want full set of inbuilt codecs now, so that you can get the tv's better upscaling and mpeg noise suppression,
personally, for panasonics, these are better than external humax box.

For the current lg oled macroblocking issues too, with the pending h/w patch , I have not heard if material from external boxes (eg appletv) still shows this problem, on oleds ?
... once it's on the hdmi input ... and uncompressed there is little tv algorithms/processing can do to fix it.

Back
Top Bottom