Ive got high speed internet, top laptop, loads of space, then why does....

Associate
Hi All,

IVe trawled the internet trying to find a solution but no joy, so I turn to you, the real know how, to help me.

Ive been directed her by wise giy in the hope you can help.

1. Sky Go Buffering live TV Streaming
2. Any and all aplications AND web pages take approx 15+ seconds to load up.

My set up:

Dell Inspiron 15R
Intel i5
RAM: 8Meg
As regards space I have on my C: Drive 573gb free of 922gb.
My memory is usage (Task Manager) is always saying 2.2/7.99
Only 1 user of network (me)
Only 1 device on network (my laptop)

Broadband:
Plusnet Fibre: 30+ Mgps. this I check regularly using Ookla and it is always above 30.
Contected directly to Laptop using cable.

What ive done so far:

Deleted all uncessary programs
Turned down effects to bear minimum
Regularly "end task" of any uncessary running programs in task manger.
Disk Clean up
De Frag
Ran Maleware and quarntined all possible bad boys.
Regularly run Ccleaner

And Nothing works its all as it was....15 sec plus for every webpage, and TV streaming is always buffering and low quality (fuzzy)

I get a feeling that this cant be right, but can anyone help me solve this mystery.

Thanks in advance for your help

Sprackers

Associate
OP
Hi mdixson,

When you say what ping, im assuming you mean what download speed do i get when i run Ookla.

Well I alsways get above 30mbps. I just did it now and it said download 37. Although it took 25 seconds to load the Ookla page.

There was alos a number next to Ping. This number said 7ms.

Is this any help?

Associate
7ms (milliseconds) is a good ping. Your download speed was 37 just now, what was the upload speed? The reason I mention this is that even with a 100Mbps+ connection, if the upload speed is say 0.5, then your connection will be slow.

Soldato
Try the laptop with wireless off and an ethernet cable, what's the CPU doing when your "stuff" is going slow.. Do you have any crappy av that snoops web pages?

Have you tried a different browser? Have you removed all addins from the browser?

Associate
OP
Ive always got the laptop hard wired via an ethernet cable. CPU is always running at around 10% so no problems there. AV I have AVG and nothing else.
Ive tried firefox, IE, Edge and all are the same .

Ive actually tried taking my laptop to my parents house who have BT wirless running at 11Mbps.

The time it takes to load webpages and the quality of the streaming are the same.

this leads me to believe that its the laptop not the speed of the connection.

I will take a a look at my DNS. and report back.

Is there anything else you can suggest?

Associate
Test it on bootable OS on USB stick or something, rules out driver/registry issues etc? CCcleaner can sometimes delete some important stuff!

Also are you using the factory install on Dell? Mine came with so much crap, reinstall and it ran much better.

Note; plusnet = crap internet, same for BT imo. only every had slow load times with both of them.

Go full cable virgin or something 200mb... they should just delete all these 12-30mb connections roll out and bring us into the real world, idk set a minimum internet connection standard.... like 50mb I paid about £30 per month for 250mb fibre (unlimited download) they are trailing 1gb also but it's costing £90 a month which is a bit much for me but I'll upgrade as soon as that's reasonable, most people are paying almost £15-20 at times for 12-30mb speed with download limits often.

Associate
OP
I pay 25 quid a month for 30mbps. Virgin next time.

#Bootable OS....i will ahve to do some reading up on these terms.

Yes I think it was the factory install on Dell, few years back now. about 3. What would i have to install and would i loose everyhting I have on my lap top.

I remember Dell had a back up facility but when I needed it there was nothing on it.

All still slow.

Associate
If you back everything up to an external drive, you won't lose anything but any software will need to be re-installed. This could be problematic if the laptop came with say MS Office and you don't have/can't find a licence key. Likewise, Windows installs on laptops can sometimes be awkward.

If the machine is out of warranty, you've got nothing to lose by re-installing providing you can reinstall all you software. It may be worth uninstalling all the Dell bloatware first, or as I prefer to call it - shovelware! That could well make a difference.

I'm on BT Infinity myself and I haven't had any major issues since I moved into this place 18 months ago. I've paid for up to 76MB/s (got a deal for £35/month) but it varies depending on how many people in the neigbhourhood are online and if they're streaming. If there's anything on BT sport, my connection slows down as BT Sport Lite is free for any BT customer...

Where I am, I can't get Virgin fibre - Openreach won the contract to wire the area, so any service I get comes down their cables. Since they used to be part of BT/kinda still are, I've gone with BT even if it's a bit costlier. At least that way if something went wrong, I only have to deal with one group of morons. Calling your ISP only to be told it's not their problem but BT/Openreach's sucks. Been there, done that at a previous place.

Over the road, those houses were built 6 months later and Virgin got the contract. They can get Virgin 200MB/s+...

Back
Top Bottom