Nissan Qashqai (2014)

Soldato
We've got a 2015 one and two kids. Boot wise I came from an Octavia so it's not as big as that, but take the false floor and the parcel shelf off if needed and it's quite high rather than deep.

Managed two adults, two kids, three full sized suitcases, hand luggage and a buggy at a push when we went to Manchester airport.

It's a good sized boot, and I can comfortably sit behind the drivers side at 6'2" with the seat where I would drive it.

Soldato
The 1.2 DIG-T isn't a bad engine, although you'll need to watch for the complete lack of power when pulling away at junctions from a rolling start (say when approaching a roundabout).

It's well known for this issue and can be pretty scary when you try to jump into a gap in traffic, plant the accelerator and it just bogs down until 2k rpm when the turbo spools up.

Soldato
Must have been small suitcases as we couldn't fit more than just an average sized buggy in it.

Agreed about interior though and leg room and the kit that it comes with.
Three full sized suitcases stood up in the boot quite easily.

I'm not having the fact that you can only just got an average sized buggy in it, we have an Uppababy Vista which is more than chunky and can fit that, change bag, bike and a bunch more stuff in it. As I say I've taken out the false floor and the parcel shelf as they aren't needed.

Edit - Found a photo of one of my attempts at filling it, all big cases and the buggy in its travel case. They grey one looks smaller but it's just further in at one end due to the shape of the boot. I ended up standing then up. I'm not saying it's anywhere near my Octavia but you can get plenty in if you are sensible.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2eKZbDC0iFYSGZ1OEJlVmxWVGM/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited:
Man of Honour
vrPTLUm.jpg

But then again this was the first time I tried to fit stuff into a Gashqai - I guess if I had removed the parcel shelf (where would I put it? It's a hire car!) and placed the buggy vertically as I did in the v40, I'd have been able to fit more in, but it just wasn't as spacious as I'm used to. Which is why I like estate cars.

Here's all our stuff in the back of the V40

QH0GjmH.jpg

There's another bag behind the blue one too.

I'm not taking anything away from the Gashqai in terms of kit, or actually being a nice place to be - it's good for that 100%. It's comfortable too. I just did not find as practical.

Man of Honour
I took it out and it did help a little but not enough. To be honest I'm sure with a little practice I could have fitted more stuff. But it was a hire car and didn't have anywhere to stash the false floor and parcel shelf.

It just didn't seem as roomy as it looks from the outside. That's all I'm saying. Try before you buy!! I'd get an xtrail if I were going for this sort of car personally. But I prefer estates. :)

Caporegime
BTW...first picture, window to the right. Love it.

I looked at the xtrail a few years ago as a bit of a B road yomper and liked it. Good level of kit, the only downside to me at the time was the puny engine. Though I think they've rectified that now.

Caporegime
What did you get instead?

Edit. Just seen you have a 640d!

Didn't actually get anything at the time. It was still when I had my first 3 series. Do a lot of walking and cycling in the hills and the xtrail would have been perfect however my dad ended up getting a Ranger at the same time which I have access to whenever I need it. The 640d is in no way a reflection on the xtrail. Very different beasts to do very different things but if I was in that situation again I'd honestly go back and look at one again as it compared very favorably to competitors.

Soldato
We took the new X-Trail for it's first family away trip this weekend. I will say that in default configuration, the boot is just 'OK' and about right for a family, i.e. 2 big suitcases, dog stuff and a few presents all fitted under the load cover (just).. We could have stood the suitcases up and retracted the load cover to make more room, or slid the rear seats forward but we didn't need it.
Since my sister only picked her brand new QQ up a few days ago, we had them parked up next to each other and the extra boot space/rear legroom is quite evident on the X-Trail, forget the 'numbers', with the load cover retracted we could fit in her wheel chair (small framed, lightweight) unfolded, and with it folder and stood up, you still have room for a couple of suitcases (stood up).. only if you keep the load cover in place does it not quite fit stuff as well, but unlike the QQ the cover is retractable and also can store in the boot floor if you want to get rid of it completely.

Fuel wise, the 1.6DCI managed 44.0 / 47.7 each way from plymouth to Cheltenham (150 miles with the cruise set at 78MPH) and whilst the 1.6 sounds a tiny engine, it can maintain speed in 6th gear up Halden hill on the A38 (Those that know it will know how steep that is) and its ride/handling is a nice setup for comfort yet little body roll, definitely a nice cruiser and easy car to drive around town, much nicer than the Countryman which was fidgety, had poor seats and the 1.6 Petrol couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Soldato
I've actually got a 66-plate Qashquai this week, whilst my car is being repaired. It's the mid-spec one, with everything in the OP apart from LED lights and electric seats. It's quite nice, to both be in and to drive. It's a good-looking thing, too, especially in the dark grey. It's less refined and less well screwed-together than my Mondeo, but it is comfortable. The diesel engine is rough and sluggish, but the CVT gearbox works quite well, albeit occasionally exhibiting a bit of a strange 'elastic band' feeling. I was initially unaware it was a CVT instead of a torque converter box. I'd choose the 1.2 turbo petrol.

Soldato
OP
Had it a week or so now and very happy with it. The 1.2 DiG-T Petrol Turbo unit has a very pronounced flat spot below 2,000rpm in second gear but it pulls nicely enough everywhere else. Suits my needs fine, it's very very quiet. Turn the radio off and for a second you could easily think you were in an electric car. Just road/wind noise really.

The Bi-LED Headlights are fantastic and the main beam assistant does a pretty decent job.

Everything else seems to work as advertised except the stop/start which I've not had kick in once yet. Perhaps it's because it's sat for 6 weeks unused on the dealer showroom. I have read about other owners not having it work so it might need some investigating.

The Traffic Sign recognition is scarily effective. I've not tested the self parking yet but the 360 Degree cameras are good. Lane departure warning systems are turned off, more of a motorway feature if you ask me. I don't dare test the autonomous braking but the blind spot warning system works well.

It seems pretty well screwed together, no nasty rattles or squeaks. It's comfortable, drives okay and overall is a nice place to be.

nissan_qashqai_tekna_1.jpg

nissan_qashqai_tekna_2.jpg

nissan_qashqai_tekna_3.jpg

nissan_qashqai_tekna_4.jpg

Associate
Did look into one of these and came very close to buying one, however in the end went for a Golf 1.4 TSI. Similar in that were a family with one small child. Haven't had a situation yet when we have had to leave stuff behind as not enough space. Very happy with the car.

I was quite impressed by the Qaishqai but I found completely unattached to the car when driving. The level of equipment was very good and was also very impressed by the road sign recognition, handy bit of kit.

Hope you enjoy many trouble free miles!

Caporegime
Had it a week or so now and very happy with it. The 1.2 DiG-T Petrol Turbo unit has a very pronounced flat spot below 2,000rpm in second gear but it pulls nicely enough everywhere else. Suits my needs fine, it's very very quiet. Turn the radio off and for a second you could easily think you were in an electric car. Just road/wind noise really.

The Bi-LED Headlights are fantastic and the main beam assistant does a pretty decent job.

Everything else seems to work as advertised except the stop/start which I've not had kick in once yet. Perhaps it's because it's sat for 6 weeks unused on the dealer showroom. I have read about other owners not having it work so it might need some investigating.

The Traffic Sign recognition is scarily effective. I've not tested the self parking yet but the 360 Degree cameras are good. Lane departure warning systems are turned off, more of a motorway feature if you ask me. I don't dare test the autonomous braking but the blind spot warning system works well.

It seems pretty well screwed together, no nasty rattles or squeaks. It's comfortable, drives okay and overall is a nice place to be.

nissan_qashqai_tekna_1.jpg

nissan_qashqai_tekna_2.jpg

nissan_qashqai_tekna_3.jpg

nissan_qashqai_tekna_4.jpg

Looks good. My neighbour has one of these in this colour and it is very smart.

auto/high low beam is a revelation in my opinion. Makes driving at night so much easier.

I wouldn't worry about the stop start - it probably is the just that the battery needs a good charge. In my new Megane it didn't work on the test drive or driving it home, but since owning it and taking it for decent runs it works fine and as expected.

I would leave the autonomous braking on - it has kicked in once in my Megane and surprised me because it was exactly what i was going to do, except the car reacted quicker! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom