*** Sky Q Thread ***

Caporegime
I re-signed up with Sky and had Sky Q installed today. I now have a 2TB box, 1 x mini with just Boxsets package. I asked him for a hybrid LNB, which he installed (with new dish) and said both boxes had LAN connections available so not using WIFI. Engineer was very helpful and didn't question anything.

One question, if I upgrade to Sky Sports, do I have to pay the extra £6 HD charge as the blurb says with 2TB and multiroom you unlock UHD?
No, but you'll only be able to watch the UHD Sports when they're on, everything else will be SD. Which looks like someone smeared Vaseline on your telly.

Soldato
I've got to say.. the interface on Sky Q is just the worst... how that was shipped is beyond me, the Sky Q app is also a dumpster fire in comparison to the old Sky HD.

And my fibre max started at 75mb, now running at a nice steady 15-20mb.

Great value for money..

Caporegime
I've got to say.. the interface on Sky Q is just the worst... how that was shipped is beyond me, the Sky Q app is also a dumpster fire in comparison to the old Sky HD.

Great value for money..
I like the Sky Q UI and have you done any tests or reported the speed issue?

Associate
No, but you'll only be able to watch the UHD Sports when they're on, everything else will be SD. Which looks like someone smeared Vaseline on your telly.
I would happily sign up for Sports but I just cant justify the £6 HD charge. Fair enough 5+ years ago when HD was in its infancy but not now. I just dont get that I can now watch UHD but have to pay extra for HD!

Associate

Great value for money..
Had sky fibre for 2/3 months, started at 42 and went down to 15, seems a common issue, also had 2 routers in 2 months becuase of constant disconnections, sky support are keen but cant do much, really its all down to open reach and their lines, bottom line from sky was if my issues are not resolved we may get a discount or released from the contract.

Open reach bods say will most likely have the same issues with any ther provider, really miss virgin, they suck but the cable is fast and very stable.

Soldato
I like the Sky Q UI and have you done any tests or reported the speed issue?

Not yet but I will.

I think the UI is terrible.. I have a 65" screen to go at and all you can see from your recordings is a huge grid of like 6 recordings.. I wouldn't mind if there were any options like tiles or a list or the number of tiles or whatever, I just find if I don't watch something immediately I forget it's even there because it's so cumbersome to scroll through tiles of arbitrary scenes in the program and then read the description anyway.

I get this is a horses for courses thing, it just irritates me personally.

Caporegime
Not yet but I will.

I think the UI is terrible.. I have a 65" screen to go at and all you can see from your recordings is a huge grid of like 6 recordings.. I wouldn't mind if there were any options like tiles or a list or the number of tiles or whatever, I just find if I don't watch something immediately I forget it's even there because it's so cumbersome to scroll through tiles of arbitrary scenes in the program and then read the description anyway.

I get this is a horses for courses thing, it just irritates me personally.

If you go right down to disk space you can get a list view? Bit of a pain mind. It's the new way, styled after Netflix etc. People apparently want to see tiles and pictures as its modern and exciting. Lines of text are old hat and dull.

Soldato
Had sky fibre for 2/3 months, started at 42 and went down to 15, seems a common issue, also had 2 routers in 2 months becuase of constant disconnections, sky support are keen but cant do much, really its all down to open reach and their lines, bottom line from sky was if my issues are not resolved we may get a discount or released from the contract.

Open reach bods say will most likely have the same issues with any ther provider, really miss virgin, they suck but the cable is fast and very stable.
Virgin recently laid in my neighbourhood and although I could switch my broadband/phone line etc right now I am gonna wait until 2nd October when my tv deal is up and cancel the lot. According to what I read on here I will be offered up to 60% off etc, gonna switch to Virgin and try their VIP package at £85 for 12 months. Two TV6 boxes, Full house tv, Sky Sports HD, BT Sports HD/UHD, Sky Cinema HD and Vivid 200, + Talk Unlimited – Inclusive unlimited anytime calls to UK landlines and Virgin Mobile numbers, plus calls to 0870 numbers, I was paying £133p/m for a similar package with Sky for 18 months. Sky cannot compete. Cannot wait to be honest.

Associate
I'm trying to sort out a reasonable upgrade for my parents put in a cancellation for sky tv which is due to finish mid june they already have a discount offer of 50% off any tv package but is there any chance they could get that 50% offer or better along with sky q ? their current sky hd box is actually my old one i already have sky q they haven't had a new box from sky probably for 7+ years. any advice appreciated.

Soldato
Not yet but I will.

The free PC app JDast will collect data periodically on BB speed&pings, have used it for Virgin and plusnet complaints

Have you found any reference documentation/pdf on the UI (completely unprofessional imhop - sorry MissChief),
agree it is terrible and non-intuitive to me & my older parents. I had half a mind to ring sky on their behalf and say not fit for purpose - they expected an improvement over sky+

Soldato
£85 for 12 months on an 18 month contract most likely. What's the cost for months 12-18?
NOPE!

VIP bundle: New customers only. Full House TV, Sky Cinema and Sky Sports (including in HD), VIVID 200 fibre broadband (up to 200Mbps) and Talk Unlimited. £85 a month for 12 months. Price includes line rental (£19 per month). Premium add-ons are available at extra monthly cost. If you cancel your service during your minimum term an early disconnection fee will apply. Downgrading a service in your bundle may result in loss of bundle discount. If you upgrade any aspect of the service, standard pricing will apply to that upgrade. Virgin Media reserves the right to withdraw or amend the pricing if you change any part of your package. Virgin Media reserves the right to withdraw this offer at any time. Offer may not be used in conjunction with any other offer unless stated by Virgin Media.

Full House TV + Sports
and Movies

• All the Sky Sports channels in HD
  • All the BT Sport channels in HD
  • All the Sky Cinema channels in HD
  • Players, Catch Up and Virgin TV Box Sets
  • Netflix (if you’re subscribed) and YouTube in 4K*
  • Pause, rewind and record TV
  • Two Virgin TV V6 boxes – our smallest, smartest, fastest yet
  • 245+ channels
VIVID 200

• Up to 200 Mbps fibre broadband
  • Over 2x as fast as BT and Sky’s fastest speedsº
  • For busy households with 10+ devices
  • Stream HD, watch 4K and more, all at once
  • Unlimited downloads
  • The UK’s fastest widely available WiFi

Caporegime
LOL just went thorugh Virgin's package calculator and apparently because there's two of us in the house we 'need' 200 Meg broadband. What a jolly jape!

Associate
Has anyone managed to successfully haggle the installation cost for SkyQ?

I object to paying £200 just for a guy to spend 20 mins plugging in a new LNB, changing over the Sky+ box and then linking the other TVs in the house over the wireless connection.

I paid £60 2 weeks ago for the 2tb box. I just went on to live chat and haggled with them.

Caporegime
Thought the £200 was if you only have the main box.

Thought as soon as you order a mini box and multiscreen installation goes down to £60 anyway?

Soldato
Paid £45 for 2TB box and "free" multiscreen box.

£32.90 for package for 18 months.

Edit - Should add that I only left Sky two months ago at my old address. Signed back up as a new customer using same bank details. They weren't bothered.

Back
Top Bottom