Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
So Kubica completed 115 laps in a 2011 Renault today including full race sims and quali sims - apparently posting faster times than Sirotkin.

Does anyone here think a comeback is realistic? That type of programme suggests a serious test rather than a bit of a jolly.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129965

I do hope so! Would love a Hulkenberg/Kubica line up.

i do wonder with his mobility issues if he's not able to compete at all circuits could he not do a car share,a bit like in Indy with the ovals/tracks.

Soldato
Awesome news. I'd really love for him to make a full return to F1. Do we know if he's regained full use of his hand, or was the car modified for him?

Also, being slightly cynical, but was that report from his agent? I remember them spinning some complete BS at the time of his accident which was severely downplaying the severity of his injury.

Associate
I haven't read anything about him running a modified car today - I was under the impression that the biggest issue he had was having to use his shoulder to make up for some of the lack of mobility in his arm, and there simply wasn't enough room in the cockpit of a single-seater for him to do that effectively.

As for the trustworthiness of the source - the details of the programme he ran today was from Renault's twitter, so that's legit. Him being faster than Sirotkin was according to another journo (for L'Equipe I think it was) so that could be true or complete BS.

It'd be a great story if he made a competitive comeback and I'd love to see it happen, though.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Love Kubica. After his massive 185mph shunt at Canada 07, he came back to win it a year later. It's a shame we didn't see much more of him.

He's been test driving everything lately so I have to wonder what the aim is. I feel he'd be stuck mid pack with little means to make progress if he came back now, the formula isn't what it was when he left.

Associate
You've got to think he's dipping his toe in the water for an F1 comeback, otherwise, what's the point?

I wonder if Renault will chuck him in the car for some time in one of the in season tests? If they do, then it's got to be a pretty strong indication that it's his objective.

Caporegime
Sadly I can't see him making a return to F1. If you find a recent picture of him his right lower arm has lost nearly all of its muscle mass. He wouldn't be able to pass the mandatory driver evacuation test.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Sadly I can't see him making a return to F1. If you find a recent picture of him his right lower arm has lost nearly all of its muscle mass. He wouldn't be able to pass the mandatory driver evacuation test.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kubica-f1-test-showed-what-i-lost-915113/

Yeah, reading this it seems like it's just a one-off. Just a gesture from Renault. Shame, seems he's in no-mans-land at the moment. But if he can pass all the necessary tests and someone else pays attention to the test, there may be an opportunity around the corner. Seems very unlikely though.

Soldato
Sadly sounds like Jeff Smith and Luke Davenport came off the worst with some very serious injuries :(

"Following the multi-car accident during qualifying for Round 13 of the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship at Croft, three drivers were taken to James Cook Hospital in Middlesbrough for further treatment.

We can confirm that;

Aron Taylor-Smith (#40 MG Racing RCIB Insurance) suffered a fracture to his left leg and concussion. He was closely monitored in hospital and was released late last night.

Luke Davenport (#300 Team Shredded Wheat Racing with Duo) is currently in intensive care in an induced coma, and is in a serious but stable condition, with multiple chest injuries, lung damage, broken right leg, broken pelvis, broken right arm and concussion.

Jeff Smith (#55 Eurotech Racing) is currently in intensive care in an induced coma, and is in a serious but stable condition, with multiple chest injuries, extensive shoulder injuries, broken left arm and concussion.

All of the above injuries, whilst very serious, are not immediately life threatening.

We would like to thank the BTCC Medical Team, marshals, Croft Circuit staff, Air Ambulance crews and all staff at James Cook Hospital.

Everyone within the BTCC sends their best wishes to all three drivers for a speedy and full recovery."

Soldato
Some serious questions are going to have to be answered with regard to how this incident was able to play out for as long as it did. There were 40 seconds from the time the video cut to Jordan's car on the grass and Ollie Jackson's car going off, meaning that Jackson would have been somewhere around Clervaux/Hawthorn at the time the incident started, there were plenty of opportunities for cars to have slowed before they arrived on the scene. Were flags (either yellow or slippery surface flags) not being displayed, could they not be seen due to conditions, or were the drivers not slowing down enough for them?

The typical lack of proper respect for yellow flags across all levels of racing (not helped by ex-racing driver commentators constantly stating "Yellow flags mean no overtaking") suggests that the latter is most likely.

Back
Top Bottom