Poll: Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Mk II

Who will you vote for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
What does it mean? Am I affected by it daily?

Yes, of course.

You could, for example, be jailed without trial. Probably not as long as you're obedient enough, but it could happen at any time. Maybe by mistake. Maybe because the complete lack of digital security that May wants to impose on everyone resulted in someone using your identity to do something illegal. If you have no rights, even just the knowledge that you have no rights should affect you daily. You'd be foolish to not let it affect you daily.

And that's assuming that all authorities for all of the future don't abuse ruling over people with no rights, which is unlikely to be the case.

Soldato
Yes, of course.

You could, for example, be jailed without trial. Probably not as long as you're obedient enough, but it could happen at any time. Maybe by mistake. Maybe because the complete lack of digital security that May wants to impose on everyone resulted in someone using your identity to do something illegal. If you have no rights, even just the knowledge that you have no rights should affect you daily. You'd be foolish to not let it affect you daily.

And that's assuming that all authorities for all of the future don't abuse ruling over people with no rights, which is unlikely to be the case.

Frankly, much of what May is proposing is illegal anyway. Either it won't happen, we'll be sued by the European Court of Human Rights (again), or we'll be forced to withdraw from the ECHR, in direct contravention of the Conservative Manifesto (good luck getting that through Parliament).

It's hot air, spouted to take to focus off the impact a lack of resources has had on our security, until after the election.

Man of Honour
I'm always wary of the polls, there's a lot of bluster from Labour and their supporters but that could quite possibly mean nothing.

Polls are often wrong, unless they're exit polls.

Man of Honour
Frankly, much of what May is proposing is illegal anyway. Either it won't happen, we'll be sued by the European Court of Human Rights (again), or we'll be forced to withdraw from the ECHR, in direct contravention of the Conservative Manifesto (good luck getting that through Parliament).

It's hot air, spouted to take to focus off the impact a lack of resources has had on our security until after the election.
how, we wont be in the eu and can then withdraw from echr, so there wont be any suing or anything illegal, with a majority government it would not be hard for he to tear it up as promised.

Caporegime
The scrapping of HIP's was completely stupid. Why would you not want to know what your running costs were going to be before you bought your property? Why would you not want the vendor to pay for the survey?

The fact is, it made selling your house slightly more expensive but it made buying your new home cheaper. In the event of a sale falling through the vendor still had the survey to pass on to the next purchaser. It was scrapped because Camerons chums down at the RICS went mental that their members couldn't charge multiple clients for the same information. I've worked in the office of building surveyors, I know exactly what goes on with regards property valuations and its a gold mine and no wonder it was lobbied against. Its no coincidence that they are called "second gear surveys", they drive past them in second gear.

Yep, my estate agent friend also mentions this, having buyers have to pay up for every property they are interested in is inefficient and does nothing more than generate cash for certain industries for doing very little. Some as letting agent 'admin' fees and housing authority 'management' fees.

Soldato
I'm always wary of the polls, there's a lot of bluster from Labour and their supporters but that could quite possibly mean nothing.

Polls are often wrong, unless they're exit polls.

I'm pretty convinced the polls are wrong at this stage. I feel like the Tories are seen as the safe option, meaning votes will swing their way when it's crunch time. Only the most diehard supporters of Labour/Corbyn/Momentum are without any reservations when it comes to voting Labour.

That's been the tone of the media campaign this week too; sew the seeds of doubt in Jeremy Corbyn.

Soldato
Yes, of course.

If you live in NI then it affects you directly as i am sure the whole good Friday agreement came about because of the ECHR being in place in the first instance ? Again a citation would be needed to support what I have just said, but memory seems to tell me this was the case.

Soldato
I'm pretty convinced the polls are wrong at this stage. I feel like the Tories are seen as the safe option, meaning votes will swing their way when it's crunch time. Only the most diehard supporters of Labour/Corbyn/Momentum are without any reservations when it comes to voting Labour.

That's been the tone of the media campaign this week too; sew the seeds of doubt in Jeremy Corbyn.
I think you're right. There's also been a lot of 'Corbyn is gaining ground' to make sure every Tory supporter goes out to vote.

Man of Honour
Is Abbott genuinely unwell, or is Corbyn showing a ruthless side by being prepared to ditch his long-trusted colleagues in a last push for votes?

Or has she realised she's a liability to the party and stepped down with an excuse on her own accord?
Or has she realised she's a liability to the party, blamed other people and temporarily stepped down with an excuse that could be temporary so she could return after the election?
Or has she done something even worse than what's already known about her and stepped down with an excuse to try to keep it hidden?

Soldato
how, we wont be in the eu and can then withdraw from echr, so there wont be any suing or anything illegal, with a majority government it would not be hard for he to tear it up as promised.

1. Membership of the EU and membership of the ECHR are separate.

2. Remaining a signatory of the ECHR is in the Conservative Manifesto. Remaining a signatory has broad support in the commons, meaning getting a majority to back withdrawal will be challenging. Then there's the Lords...

Soldato

That will be quite a few years down the road unless May takes a hissy fit and leaves the EU without a deal then this will be the least of the UK's worrys

Man of Honour
That will be quite a few years down the road unless May takes a hissy fit and leaves the EU without a deal then this will be the least of the UK's worrys
less than 2 years away what ever happens.
1. Membership of the EU and membership of the ECHR are separate.

2. Remaining a signatory of the ECHR is in the Conservative Manifesto. Remaining a signatory has broad support in the commons, meaning getting a majority to back withdrawal will be challenging. Then there's the Lords...
separate but linked, that's why I said once we are out she can then withdraw.
She cant have it both ways either we retain humans rights or we are withdrawing, going on her and tories recent ways, then the chances of remaining is slim, unless by a miracle we stay in single market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom