Acronyms you never knew

Soldato
How can I give examples of acronyms I never knew, if I never knew then? Surely the moment I know them then they become acronyms I knew and are therefore out of scope for this post. That leaves acronyms I genuinely never knew. But if I really never knew them then how can I post them here :confused:

Best having a stronger coffee first thing in the morning - not sure what the op asked is what you think he asked ;)

Anyone know any interesting ones?

Caporegime
SEAL - Sea Air Land (As in Navy Seals)
TNT - Tuner Network Television
NASDAQ – National Association of Securities Dealers Automated Quotation

By the way most people arent given Acronyms on here anyway, including myself (TNT)

An acronym is an abbreviation formed from the first letter(s) of words in a phrase *that becomes a new word* such as: SNAFU (Situation Normal, All *** it doesn't matter that this is an acronym, you still star out the entire word *** Up) or SONAR (SOund NAvigation Radar) AWOL (Absent WithOut Leave). The abbreviations become new words.

An initialism is an abbreviation formed from the first letter(s) of words in a phrase "where the letters are pronounced individually and DO NOT become new pronounceable words" such as: IBM (International Business Machine)

My favorite none proper one when I owned a Jeep grand Cherokee was Just Empty Every Pocket

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
Why are most people not posting Acronyms???????????????????

It has to spell a new word to be a Acronym.

How do you pronounce "VHS" and "ICBM"?

Soldato
FTW (for the win) - I thought this was specific to World of Warcraft only, but again I saw it used elsewhere in later years. Does any OcUK forum members remember when FTW used to be a banned word?!
Perhaps not when... but maybe why - Like the 1%er badge, FTW has been used in patches and tattoos since the '70s, to signify an Outlaw motorcycle club, ie trouble. I'd guess it was probably banned as it means **** The World and has some nasty associations, rather than anything to do with winning computer games.

Caporegime
Perhaps not when... but maybe why - Like the 1%er badge, FTW has been used in patches and tattoos since the '70s, to signify an Outlaw motorcycle club, ie trouble. I'd guess it was probably banned as it means **** The World and has some nasty associations, rather than anything to do with winning computer games.

True, FTW used to mean something else. Its earliest record in relation to its current meaning is Half LIfe from 15th October 2003.

Soldato
couple of random ones:

TOG "the old guard"- the name of an inter-war development tank created by the same designers of the original mk1-5's hence the name, although it was pretty rubbish considering it was a great tank for the trenches of flanders but would have been thoroughly outclassed by the time ww2 rolled around.

AIR "adolescence in red"- listened to this song for years before finally bothering to google what it actually meant.

KFZ "kraftfahrzeug"- thought this was a military designation until i noticed the same thing appears on BMW factory medical pouches, turns out it's just a term for a car.

Back
Top Bottom