Poll: Exit Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Results discussion and OcUK Exit Poll - Closing 8th July

Exit poll: Who did you vote for?

• Conservatives

Votes: 302 27.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 577 52.6%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 104 9.5%
  • Green

Votes: 13 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 19 1.7%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 30 2.7%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 46 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
More voted against the others. Perhaps they should all go?

I will certainly trade you my corbyn for your may on the way to the bins ;)

Problem is who would be next in line for all the parties.

Salmond back in scotland? I she worse than Sturgeon or is there another fish starting with S?
Boris instead of May?
Abbot instead of Corbyn?

Associate
Ultimately not a great result but it is what we have.

I must say though I am not surprised with the growth of the labour vote. They had a huge surge of votes from young people but that's not necessarily a good thing for the health of the country. I kept hearing the phrase "fully costed manifesto" and there seemed to be some bizarre confusion that fully costed did not seem to mean massive overspend. It's a bit like giving a teenager their first credit card, free money! Only it's not free is it? Someone has to pay and future generations will bear that cost.
There was an interview with Theresa May regarding lowering the voting age to 16 and she carefully worded it to say 18 is the correct age, and well, she is right. A 16 year old isn't going to have much life experience of working for a living, paying taxes, our healthcare system etc.

What did Labour have to lose though in making these pledges? The conservatives have been paying down the deficit by almost two thirds, I'm just glad Labour did not get in to take all that away and give us the worst outcome in the brexit negotiations.

Permabanned

I must say though I am not surprised with the growth of the labour vote. They had a huge surge of votes from young people but that's not necessarily a good thing for the health of the country. I kept hearing the phrase "fully costed manifesto" and there seemed to be some bizarre confusion that fully costed did not seem to mean massive overspend. It's a bit like giving a teenager their first credit card, free money! Only it's not free is it? Someone has to pay and future generations will bear that cost.
There was an interview with Theresa May regarding lowering the voting age to 16 and she carefully worded it to say 18 is the correct age, and well, she is right. A 16 year old isn't going to have much life experience of working for a living, paying taxes, our healthcare system etc.

What did Labour have to lose though in making these pledges? The conservatives have been paying down the deficit by almost two thirds, I'm just glad Labour did not get in to take all that away and give us the worst outcome in the brexit negotiations.

Again that's incredibily patronising... The young understand poltics more than the senial greys do. Many don't even know what the internet is and yet they want may to regulate it to 'stop the terrorists'.

Then you have a large number on these forums alone that switched their vote from Tories to Labour too. Are they childish for doing so?

Soldato

This only makes sense if you assume to ridiculous notion that people only voted on one policy. Similarly you could say the exact same thing about the grey vote, they have accumulated all their wealth and had their chance so they appear to want to pull the ladder up.

Brexit negations are imho a moot point, they were always going to be a car crash regardless of who did them and with what majority. The EU knew this and its why they reacted with a "meh, so what" response at the election outcome. We were (and still will) be getting a worse deal that we had.

Soldato
Again that's incredibily patronising... The young understand poltics more than the senial greys do. Many don't even know what the internet is and yet they want may to regulate it to 'stop the terrorists'.

Then you have a large number on these forums alone that switched their vote from Tories to Labour too. Are they childish for doing so?

I am one of said children apparently.

I'm a qualified accountant so I guess i'm illiterate with numbers as well ;)
I'm now rapidly approaching 50, so I actually like it when people consider me young ;)

I have got a fair bit of life experience now, having had good times and bad, having operated from the lowest of finance roles up to the top as FD. I do take a little bit of offence when people who probably failed O level maths (yeah i did them not those new fangled GCSE things) make out like they can form a more reasoned analysis of the financial impact than I can. Oh and i also studied economics, and used to be a member of the Tory party ;) I voted Tory in every election, local and national right upto last council elections about 6 weeks ago?
I think I may just about be the perfect storm to the "all Labour voters believe in a free money tree and are young just looking for free stuff, they haven't got any real world experience, and don't understand how things work"

If I study another degree it will be politics, I always said it would be archaeology but politics interests me more now, plus the knees are getting a bit dodgy for crawling around hours on end ;)

Caporegime

You realise Brexit would have increased the deficit right back to 2010 levels right and it would stay there for the foreseeable if the Tories cared about the country to invest, which they wont because apparently a surplus is politically better than letting inflation do its job.

Caporegime

The problem is these simplistic analogies about credit cards, or living within your means, not taking on debt etc. Are absolutely meaningless in regards to running a country. A country is not a family, you can't apply the same economics model.

On the contrary, investment in education and infrastructure are provably positive for the future economy. Austerity is provably poor long term, unless you like diminished revenue and negative GDP growth.

The problem with the electoral is not the youth want such things as affordable education but people that don't understand economics and applying their 8 year old understanding of money and debt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom