Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Ian

Ian

Associate
I have actually attempted Snowdon twice but both times have been hampered by injuries. Booked in to Betws-y-Coed at the end of this month to finally put it in its place :)

Did the tourist route for Ben Nevis but next time I have a chance I fancy giving the CMD arete route a bash!

Following Snowdon will be in the Alps in September. Doing some hikes around the Chamonix Valley followed by the Vanoise National Park :)

Man of Honour
hmm actually, thinking about it, i'll buy some boots, i was wearing Walking shoes
depending what you normally walk on trail runners maybe better, the saying goes 1lb on your feet is worth 5lbs on your back.
I started off with hiking boots then moved to trail runners, and unless I'm expecting a lot of hard going then I prefer trail runners.

Underboss
depending what you normally walk on trail runners maybe better, the saying goes 1lb on your feet is worth 5lbs on your back.
I started off with hiking boots then moved to trail runners, and unless I'm expecting a lot of hard going then I prefer trail runners.

what are trail runners ?

I currently have walking shoes, could I use them for normal walking, and hill walking, but then when im climbing mountains, stick on some trail runners?

Soldato
Oh this summer is going to be worthy of some spamming in this thread :D

Slightly jealous! Living an hour and a half away I can only get over every few weekends. If I lived that close I'd be out every evening. Although, annoyingly I've screwed my achilles and my climbing partner has fractured his wrist so it looks like this summer is going to be a write off. :(

Caporegime
Main advantage of boots would be if conditions are very wet and you need to keep feet dry at the expense of breath-ability. This is especially true if you go through muddy bogs and such off the beaten track. Also if the terrain is extremely rugged and rocky underneath and you are not very nimble then a boot with ankle support will help prevent a rolled ankle. Then of course if you are doing more technical and alpine stuff then dedicated boots are important to allow you to wear crampons or get better foot holds on class 4 scrambles etc.

I am using Altra Lone Peak 3.0s for a lot of trail running but they are also nice for hiking in. Altra shoes have a very wide toe-box which is good for most people. If you have more narrow pointy feet Hoka make great trail running shoes.

Even within trail runnign shoes you will find some are specially geared towards mud, others packed trails, and other hard rocks. The mud shoes have very large grips/lugs and are a breathable mesh that lets water drain out-the idea being you don't try and keep your feet dry, you just let it get soaked but breath better. The hard trail/rock shoes have increased cushioning, a reinforced rock plate and softer rubber to grip better a bit like a rock climbing shoe.

Man of Honour
there is also a whole host of ways to lace to solve issues.

https://runrepeat.com/top-10-running-shoe-lacing-techniques
142ypi.jpg

don't know if I should buy some new NB trail runners blind, as no uk shops stock wide fittings, but they are available on Amazon through third-party.
does anyone know of any other company that offers 4e or even 6e width trail runners?

Man of Honour
the Klymit pad has arrived, and it looks great, easy to roll up and no issue at all fitting it back in the bag, which makes a nice change.

34tael1.jpg

fof6tl.jpg

and compared to the Thermarest, which was comfortable but not big enough.

5umu5u.jpg

Man of Honour
essentially finished it, just need to spread the down out and cut all the sewing ends off, but that ain't going to be today. What a mess down is though, it went everywhere.

358xr45.jpg

Caporegime
Good to see we have a thread for this sort of thing, i'm a regular hiker and tend to go on a good 10 miler every week, either in the Lakes or the Yorkshire Dales :)

Finished the National 3 peak challenge in 22 hours and 45 minutes a week or so ago, was an experience :)

Soldato
Ascended Scafell Pike on Sunday for the first time. Go up to the Lakes frequently but always tend to stay in the Langdale Valley due to it's beauty and the lack of car necessity.

Climbed up the 'back' of Scafell Pike - walked up the Mickledon valley from Chapel Stile, past the two pubs and then up the front of Bowfell, before across and down to Angle Tarn. Up to Esk Hause and then the scramble down and then up to SP from Broad Crag. The scramble was a lot of fun. 30km there and back.

Did the Langdale Pikes the day before, but those two walks leave my feet in tatters - blisters all over there place. The short trip up and along Lingmoor Fell the final day was made a great deal more painful than necessary as a result. The Langdale Valley is incredible and so many walks from your doorstep on offer.

Associate
I should do more hiking. The Pyrenees are only an hour south from where I live.

I've done most of the Col's and Pic Du Midi already but they're hardly challenging. Just tourist trails really.

Soldato
I'm wanting to go Crinkle Craggs and Bowfell again soon, cracking walk.
Only boots I've had that proved tricky to get the fit right are my scarpa mantatas, I find a pair of plain cotton socks followed by those heat holder socks works brilliantly they are very soft on the inside and allow a great deal of movement between the two pairs of socks.

My mammut mercury advanced on the other hand are just like wearing slippers so comfortable in any old socks. They will be sure to be replaced soon wow them out in about 2 years.

Caporegime
Ascended Scafell Pike on Sunday for the first time. Go up to the Lakes frequently but always tend to stay in the Langdale Valley due to it's beauty and the lack of car necessity.

Climbed up the 'back' of Scafell Pike - walked up the Mickledon valley from Chapel Stile, past the two pubs and then up the front of Bowfell, before across and down to Angle Tarn. Up to Esk Hause and then the scramble down and then up to SP from Broad Crag. The scramble was a lot of fun. 30km there and back.

Did the Langdale Pikes the day before, but those two walks leave my feet in tatters - blisters all over there place. The short trip up and along Lingmoor Fell the final day was made a great deal more painful than necessary as a result. The Langdale Valley is incredible and so many walks from your doorstep on offer.

The Langdale Pikes is my favourite of all the walks i've done, so many good views (weather pending obviously).

I'm wanting to go Crinkle Craggs and Bowfell again soon, cracking walk.

Over Bad Step? :) Great walk as well!

Soldato
Strangely I've never done Crinkle Crags before. Done Bowfell and Blisco a number of times each, but whoever I've been walking with has always wanted to turn back at the point of Crinkle Crags beginning. I even proposed at the foot of CC, just up from Great Knot, and she immediately wanted to go back to our cottage.

With four good pubs in walking distance and the leisure/spa centre in the village, Chapel Stile is a great spot to stay. We ate at Stove in the Langdale resort this time - wouldn't necessarily recommend. The Eltermere Inn generally does lovely food, but that too had dropped off in quality the last time I visited.

Back
Top Bottom