Tower block fire - london

Soldato
not disagreeing with you, but how about something similar to the systems used on oil rigs? they have a sort of mesh tunnel arrangement that drops down and you can slide down, even drop an unconscious body down, with relative safety.

although tbh it's kind of a pointless argument when we're talking about a situation where even basic fundamentals like fire alarms dont work, the building is too flammable and there's no sprinkler system installed.

edit: this:

Man that safety device is terrible. Did you see the problems the 3 of them had getting down?

Associate
I think that's quite a cynical interpretation of CDM, its there to enure that risk is mitigated during the construction process and to ensure that people working within the industry are diligent during those stages. Its probably not for this thread though and we don't even what went wrong or when.

I agree with the above. The regs are as they are partially because of a previous history of failed prosecutions with respect to higher management and corporates. CDM has really shaken up the construction industry for the better. I am not cynical I am just realistic about the far reaching scope of the Regs. This is what makes them effective.

Soldato
Sky are saying Fire Fighters got to the 18th - 20th Floor and got people out, there's also 70+ people in hospital. I wonder what the population of the tower was, it had 124 apartments.

Caporegime
Rather than speculating on whether the emergency services could have done things different (they did the best they could with what they have available), shouldn't the focus be on why this tragedy was able to happen in the first place?

Either there's inadequate fire regulations, or they were inadequately enforced. Were corners cut during the refurbishment? Why no sprinklers? Why no central fire alarm? Why a policy of telling residents to stay put when the fire is raging up the outside of the building? Why no provision for external fire escapes of any kind (and only one internal route out)? Why no 'cherry pickers' that can extract people for the emergency services to use? So many questions.

you can do both... note you're asking the same yourself re: why no cherry pickers

Caporegime
Caporegime
I
In 124 apartments?

Its London, cheap accommodation, pack them in like sardines?

I felt really sorry for the mother this morning who left her flat with 6 children bu by the time she got to the bottom she had lost two children. Devastating. Can only guess how you would feel and be blaming yourself.

Caporegime
In 124 apartments?
One woman allegedly had 6 kids (unless she was taking other peoples kids down to safety too), so while it's very high, it's not a complete impossibility to average 4.8 people per apartment for a poor demographic. Actual figure is likely lower though.

Back
Top Bottom