Show us your kitty cats

Don
Any help with this?

Tilly, our British Shorthair has taken to hiding away for the last week, in a box in cat tree, in corner of window and even in back of litter tray

This can be a sign of illness but we have taken her to vets for a full check and they say she is fine

Other options is problems with Ace (Bengal) , he has always bullied her and she is too nice to fight back, but when he goes near her she doesn't seem upset

Maybe the heat as all the places are cool/shaded but she is 9 years old and she hasn't done it before

Other that the "hiding" she seems fine, comes out for food, litter tray etc

Associate
My cat goes through phases where she spends most of the day. I think she was a runt, she's very small and every cat in the neigherhood Bullys her, unless I'm outside she usually sleeps in a bush. She cries a lot when I'm not around and would love to get another cat for company but having spoke to my sister (RSPCA inspector) and researched have found that some cats can be stressed by sharing their territory. Now I'm not saying this is the case! How long have they lived together, from kittens? Do you play with her regularly? And if so is it without ace around who I imagine would dominate given his breed. Do you rotate her food flavours and give her treats? Cats can be hard enough to read and they are all different so being an outsider is hard to give advice. My advice would be to get a new toy (catnip is good by herself not in a group play) or use her favourite and try to get her out of her shell with play and treats while the bengal is not around. Did the vet take a blood sample? Cats are amazing at hiding illness and as they get older kidneys tend to take a hammering, using science plan renal (I think) my previous cat lives to the ripe old age of 21.5, 10 years after diagnosis of kidney problems. I'm not trying to second guess the vet who is a qualified professional, just cover the possibilities. Anyways I hope she gets back to her normal self soon.

Soldato
On hot days, you are likely to find your cat sleeping far longer and on a cool, comfy spot, and for good reason. In the wild, remaining active in such weather could deplete valuable water intake and lead to overheating.
So providing your cats behaviour in general is fine and it is eating well and doing it's business regularly then I suspect all is well except the heat. But hey this is Britain the cooler weather will return soon, up here in Edinburgh it already has.

Associate
One of ours has upped his hunting game, from the occasional mouse/vole....

Came home to half a rabbit and various organs across the kitchen floor. What a lovely mess to clean up!

Don
Thanks for all the advice folks, she has always been bone idle but this seems more than usual, I have bribed her out a couple of times with some tuna, vet did physical exam and temp check but no blood tests at this point

Associate
My two are 16 and 18 and they've both been sleeping a lot more in the last couple of weeks with the heat, usually somewhere shaded. Seems pretty normal to me.

Soldato
Happy birthday Millie who is around 5 today though unfortunately I cannot be certain as with most ladies real age is a closely guarded secret.
1APkgsA.jpg
[/IMG] 1APkgsA.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
depends what you mean by large area - bluetooth trackers tend to max out around 30meters and the solutions then rely on others with the app installed 'seeing' the tracker to report its location. With that in mind you then need the most popular tracker (which i think is still tile) and a load of luck to get an up to date hit.

The GSM based trackers however aren't exactly small and will require regular charging.

I'd suggest a pavlovian approach, ring a bell - preferably a loud and high pitched one - every time you treat or feed him. Then if you need to find him walk around with the bell and he'll come running for treats. We've done this with out cat and when he when in high speed pursuit of a pheasant recently he immediately stopped and ran back to the bell.

Back
Top Bottom