HDR content via AV Receiver

Soldato
I've currently got a PS4 pro connected to my 4K TV via my Onkyo TX-NR636. I'm now starting to think about adding a UHD player. The Onkyo can handle 4K, but I've just realised it doesn't support HDR.

Does this mean I won't see HDR affects on the TV while the source is going through the receiver?

I'm currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn on the PS4 and I'm also wondering if I'm possibly missing some visual effects due to the receiver not supporting HDR.

Soldato
OP
Ah. By chance I think I've answered my own question: http://forums.onkyousa.com/viewtopic.php?p=35328&sid=b1f18dfdf6c94082dfda921482426fb2

According to an Onkyo forum mod: 'there will not be any upgrade for HDR or HDMI 2.0a. The entire structure of the hardware would need to be changed in order to support HDMI 2.0a devices and capabilities'.

Hmm. Looks like a new receiver is on the cards then. Not liking the Onkyo 656 or 757 that much, anyone got an alternative suggestion up to £500?

Soldato
OP

Haha, jinx!

denon 2300w

Thanks, I'll take a look.

if you buy a uhd player with separate hdmi for sound & picture can maybe circumvent ?

Hmm but then I'd have the same issue with HDR content on my PS4 which does have an HDMI 2.0a port. It's a pain but I don't see a way around a new receiver long term.

Soldato
It's not ideal but i have a receiver without 4k/hdr for my ps4 pro.

Instead on my TV i have 1 HDMI going to the Receiver and 1 going to my PS4. I then have optical going from my PS4 to the receiver. Then when i want PS4, i swap HDMI input on the TV and the sound input on the receiver to Optical, and if i want TV i change back to HDMI on the TV and back to HDMI on the receiver.

A bit of a pain, but if you can live with that it would save you buying a new receiver.

Soldato
OP
Agreed, there are workarounds. I guess it's just a nice feeling to know you are getting the full effect from all these new technologies, with minimal fuss.

So I've some options for now. It's starting to feel a bit like PC gaming; continually upgrading something.

Soldato
It's not ideal but i have a receiver without 4k/hdr for my ps4 pro.

Instead on my TV i have 1 HDMI going to the Receiver and 1 going to my PS4. I then have optical going from my PS4 to the receiver. Then when i want PS4, i swap HDMI input on the TV and the sound input on the receiver to Optical, and if i want TV i change back to HDMI on the TV and back to HDMI on the receiver.

A bit of a pain, but if you can live with that it would save you buying a new receiver.

I was doing something similar before I got my 2300w so that I could send 4k60 to the TV. Only downside is that the audio gets compressed on optical rather than pcm on hmdi. IO'm sure the difference is small but it still made me sad I wasn't getting the best out of everything.

Associate
The cheaper way to do it and 'retain' HD audio without buying a new receiver would be to use and HDMI splitter - on direct to the tv for HDR picture, one direct to the receiver for HD Audio.

You can also buy UHD players with twin HDMI out

Back
Top Bottom