Finsbury Park Van Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I respect the fact that the mods don't have all day to devote to modding a single thread, but I do worry about the message that's sent by closing that thread, with regards to the leanings of the moderating team, and their attitudes towards more moderate members. Can't help but to feel it occured in the defence of the more wretched right wing commenters (who by rights should have simply been banned).

As per the last thread; this has been a horrifying right wing extremist terrorist attack, and I admire the restraint of the men that held the terrorist until the police arrived. We must do much more (something?!) to tackle the vile right wing narrative of the DM, BNP, UKIP and so on, in an effort to stem the radicalisation of young (and, sadly, older) white males. Shocking series of events :(.
Ukip and DM are not in anyway similar to the bnp

Caporegime
We must do much more (something?!) to tackle the vile right wing narrative of the DM, BNP, UKIP and so on, in an effort to stem the radicalisation of young (and, sadly, older) white males. Shocking series of events :(.

I'm not sure white males are being 'radicalised' by the DM, this is a bit of a false equivalence when compared with ISIS videos etc.. rather - assuming this is a white racist/nazi type you'll likely find it is rather more extreme things online that are the influence.

There is a wider argument that the likes of the BNP, UKIP etc.. aren't helpful here just as there is a wider argument that Islam, in it's current form as currently practiced, isn't exactly helpful either re: integration but as far as the direct influence for
terror attacks - for Islamist ones you'd look more towards ISIS and similar and their online material and for this one... well we'll find out in time assuming it isn't mental health related then presumably either far right websites (alternatively maybe he's got some other ideology - perhaps a Jewish Zionist going postal over Al Quds day) we don't really know enough about his motives just yet.

Soldato
We must do much more (something?!) to tackle the vile right wing narrative of the DM, BNP, UKIP and so on, in an effort to stem the radicalisation of young (and, sadly, older) white males. Shocking series of events :(.

You see this is what bothers me, you're talking as if these attacks are common (they may become more common, I hope not) but they are really not, when was the last one and how many have been stopped? Its in the very low figures thats for sure, compared to islamic inspired attacks which this year alone range into the hundreds possible thousands killed already.

Meanwhile in london yesterday, police were protecting people waving Hezbollah flags, if you don't know who Hezbollah are, I suggest you google it.

Caporegime
What do you mean revenge? Revenge how?

Stelly

well it seems like the targeted location was a mosque with past links to terrorism... not that the people attacked actually were - though I guess it is the same sort of faulty logic that people use when they blame Islamic attacks on 'Western Foreign policy' etc..

Soldato
Maybe retaliatory is a better way to describe it - you can't take revenge on people that haven't done anything. It's disgraceful that anyone sees killing innocent people as a way of carrying out their political/religious agenda. From both sides.

One of the few things I see as a positive about the recent attacks is that, as a country, we've condemned what has happened and haven't ostracised Muslims as a consequence (until now).

Soldato
What do you mean revenge? Revenge how?

Stelly

lashing out at the broader islam community because of the string of terror attacks.

this is the vigilante extension of the usual "send them and their families back if they're on a watchlist" response to attacks such as manchester and the previous london attacks.

unfortunately, this winds up with innocent people suffering.

Soldato
Meanwhile in london yesterday, police were protecting people waving Hezbollah flags, if you don't know who Hezbollah are, I suggest you google it.

Quick google suggests hezbollah is proscribed surprised they were allowed to fly those flags :confused:.

I was going to post in FCD chap, but there's no open discussion of moderation. It's a closed discussion forum; which is a contradiction in terms..

(Unless I'm mistaking it).

That's the one...

Caporegime
I don't think Hezbollah have killed any Britons yet, (technically they have, but its mostly been as collateral in Israeli problems) when compared to ISIS, its almost a paragon of virtue. I use the word almost in a very loose fashion.

Soldato
It's disgraceful that anyone sees killing innocent people as a way of carrying out their political/religious agenda. From both sides.

I think that if someone with a preexisting world view is fed enough propaganda, are able to live in a confirmation biased echo chamber and don't question what they are told, then a downward spiral of ever increasing anger is inevitable. I'm not surprised that it ends up culminating in self harming acts of defiance or violence towards others. Both of which we have seen a marked increase of in the last year or so.

Soldato
It's begun, and will be hard to de-escalate.

Right now we have extreme members of Group A attacking and killing random members of Group B on a near daily basis. As this is happening in law & order societies Group B is staying peaceful and allowing the authorities to deal with. But if it keeps happening it’s only a matter of time before extreme members of Group B start returning the favour. Once that happens the tit-for-tat attacks will escalate beyond just extreme members of each group as more and more people are affected.

Soldato
I'm not sure white males are being 'radicalised' by the DM, this is a bit of a false equivalence when compared with ISIS videos etc.. rather - assuming this is a white racist/nazi type you'll likely find it is rather more extreme things online that are the influence.

They contribute dramatically to an overall normalisation of nationalism, racism, and fear. This is the base upon which white radicalisation (including the more hardcore radicalisation content online etc) takes root. If you don't see that when you pick up these papers, and the leaflets etc handed out by these parties, then you've got a forest for the trees situation going on.

Soldato
I respect the fact that the mods don't have all day to devote to modding a single thread, but I do worry about the message that's sent by closing that thread, with regards to the leanings of the moderating team, and their attitudes towards more moderate members. Can't help but to feel it occured in the defence of the more wretched right wing commenters (who by rights should have simply been banned).

As per the last thread; this has been a horrifying right wing extremist terrorist attack, and I admire the restraint of the men that held the terrorist until the police arrived. We must do much more (something?!) to tackle the vile right wing narrative of the DM, BNP, UKIP and so on, in an effort to stem the radicalisation of young (and, sadly, older) white males. Shocking series of events :(.

Do you get paid based on how many times you use the word 'right'? :p

Not sure grouping DM, BNP and UKIP together will do you any favours. Either. At least I don't take you seriously.

Man of Honour
They contribute dramatically to an overall normalisation of nationalism, racism, and fear. This is the base upon which white radicalisation (including the more hardcore radicalisation content online etc) takes root. If you don't see that when you pick up these papers, and the leaflets etc handed out by these parties, then you've got a forest for the trees situation going on.
I would suggest that white males are far, far more tolerant than they have ever been in history. I would also suggest they they are more tolerant than some other aspects of society.

No doubt there are exteme people in white society just as there are in Asian or other parts of society.

As a white male I thoroughly condemn this attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom