Tv broken out of warranty

Soldato
Evening all.

Usually when you press the power button on my tv the light goes from red to blue, then the image comes up on the screen.
But for the past few weeks when i press the power button it will go to blue for 5 seconds, back to red for a few seconds and so on around 3/4 times before an image apears on the screen.

Now it was bought from a supermarket and as it is out of the standard 12 month warranty (just over 2 years old) they said they will just offer me £50 compensation.

Should i just accept this?
Surly a tv should last more than 2 years?

Cheers

Caporegime
Evening all.

Usually when you press the power button on my tv the light goes from red to blue, then the image comes up on the screen.
But for the past few weeks when i press the power button it will go to blue for 5 seconds, back to red for a few seconds and so on around 3/4 times before an image apears on the screen.

Now it was bought from a supermarket and as it is out of the standard 12 month warranty (just over 2 years old) they said they will just offer me £50 compensation.

Cheers
The old law (SOGA) was based on what a person might "reasonably expect" from their purchase, in terms of longevity. And price was a large determining factor there. A £600+ TV you'd expect to last years. A Bush/Alba special... not so much ;)

That's been replaced now and I don't know if that still applies :/

Soldato
If you're any good with a soldering iron then it's probably a cheap/easy capacitor fix.

Where the heck did you get that from. I use to run a panasonic repair centre and I would NEVER be able to diagnose that without seeing the set. I wish you were around when I was hiring

Now many capacitors are there in the TV in the OP. Does the OP have a service manual.

He doesn't need to be good with a soldering Iron. He needs to be good with a crystal ball, or divining rods

Soldato
Evening all.

Cheers

Take the compensation and take it to a repair centre

Soldato
Where the heck did you get that from. I use to run a panasonic repair centre and I would NEVER be able to diagnose that without seeing the set. I wish you were around when I was hiring
Sorry, I already have a job. :)

I've fixed quite a few monitors, TVs and arcade machines as a hobby over the years (people used to do this believe it or not!). The behaviour sounds very similar to a Samsung LCD monitor I had a couple of years back, it would come out of standby but because of crappy capacitors would turn off again. I'd suggest he looks up the model of monitor on Google and likely there will be people who are willing to open things up who have fixed similar issues.

What is the make/model out of interest Kenny?

Soldato
The fault could be anywhere in the set. What it sounds like it is doing is attempting to startup then the set is detecting a fault and shutting down (going into protection mode) then attempting to restart eventually managing it.

Your right it could be a capacitor but I'd guess there are several hundred in the set. It could also be one of the thousand or so other components. The skill is being able to fault find using a service manual and meter.

Like I said take the compensation and take it to a repair centre.

Soldato
Your right it could be a capacitor but I'd guess there are several hundred in the set.
It's worth him googling the make/model. I replaced 5 capacitors in the Samsung I fixed fairly recently (I just checked my gmail) 2x 330uf 25v capacitors and 3 x 820uf 25v capacitors. The great thing these days is information and parts are both readily available for common problems, and with modern equipment you don't have the big worry of discharging CRTs safely. ;)

Associate
I guess the other question is how much did you spend in the first place. £50 after two years for a £150 TV sounds reasonable, but it'll be taking the mick if it's for a £500 one.

Soldato

Now many capacitors are there in the TV in the OP. Does the OP have a service manual.

He doesn't need to be good with a soldering Iron. He needs to be good with a crystal ball, or divining rods

I have also fixed a number of devices (VCR/DVD players, etc) over the years and they have all been electrolytic capacitors that have been the problem.

It is certainly worth having a look for any "Bloated" ones and replacing them before condemning the equipment out of hand.

Most electronic components are fine unless something overloads them. But electrolytics do seem to have a service life dependent on hours, operating temperature and original quality.

Fortunately, it is fairly obvious which ones have failed just by looking at them (The ends bulge)

And of course, the cheaper the product, the cheaper the compnants that went into its construction... (Not always true, that an expensive product will always be more reliable. But a cheap one is more likely not to be..)

Associate
Don’t get me wrong, im all up for getting what you can, but it does seem unusually biased towards the consumer that you can buy a product with X amount of warranty but when it goes wrong a year after the warranty expired you are still able to get compensation.

Again, as a consumer, this is great, but does seem like unfairly balanced situation

Soldato
Don’t get me wrong, im all up for getting what you can, but it does seem unusually biased towards the consumer that you can buy a product with X amount of warranty but when it goes wrong a year after the warranty expired you are still able to get compensation.

Again, as a consumer, this is great, but does seem like unfairly balanced situation

Yeah i'd be surprised if you get anywhere with trying to get a full repair/replacement for this. Even with whatever EU's two year ruling says about electronic items.

If you wanted a guarantee that it will last, then you should have purchased an extended warranty. (Not that i'm a believer in extended warranties), but i accept the risk that if the TV breaks after the warranty has expired, then i have to buy another.

Frankly i'd say they're even being nice offering you some compensation.

Back
Top Bottom