Pic of the day 22nd August 2004

Soldato
Hope markjcj doesn't mind me hijacking his POTD threads, but I found this on my travels and felt it worthy of being posted:

M.W.and_KOFA_1.jpg

The image comprises of two exposures: one of the Milky Way and another of the foreground scenery, with the two combined in Photoshop 7.0 to create the one 'exposure'.

I know it's a break from the usual high-quality Hubble images, but it shows what 'ordinary' people can do with a bit of time and patience and, IMO, is just as good as Hubble photos quality-wise :)

Image courtesy Richard Payne (http://azastrophotography.com/)

© Copyright 2004 by Richard Payne. Any use of this image without prior written consent of the author is strictly prohibited

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't mind at all matey, tis always good to see some astronomy eye candy. :) 5 * matey. :)

A word of caution though, not all photographers are appreciative of their work being used/linked to.

All of the images on this site are © Copyright 2004 by Richard Payne. Any use of

these images without prior written consent of the author is strictly prohibited,

Contact Richard at mailto:[email protected] for information on use.

I know the above image is on the NASA APOD page, but the copyright still stands.

Soldato
OP
Originally posted by Markjcj
I know the above image is on the NASA APOD page, but the copyright still stands.

Oops, didn't notice that :( :o. So what do you suggest then - should this post be deleted as it infringes copyright or do you think it'd be okay to leave it? I'm hopeless with this type of thing...

Last edited:
Soldato
Originally posted by TheTross
Oops, didn't notice that :( :o. So what do you suggest then - should this post be deleted as it infringes copyright or do you think it'd be okay to leave it? I'm hopeless with this type of thing...

To be honest, I've made the same mistake a couple of times myself in the past, since the hotlink is to NASA, I'd leave it. An apology will go a long way with stuff like that if anything ever came to it, mainly due to the fact that it's not for commercial use, just edit your post to include a credit/copyright notice on behalf of the owner.

Just a little further thing, nothing has ever come up due to the mistakes I've made, so I'd say you'll be fairly safe leaving it.

Soldato
Originally posted by TheTross
I'll send an email to make sure. I don't like ignoring copyrights, they're put there for a reason.

That's fair enough matey. :)

The ones I've done in the past were pointed out to me after the fact by a UB, and nothing ever came of it.

Most of the photographers are decent about it if you make it clear it's not for profit, you'll give them credit and link to their site for them. :)

Back
Top Bottom