proud Dad

Associate
This may be trivial to some folk on here but Im sure some will know my youngest lad has had some challenges in his wee life.
He turned 5 in January.
when he was born he was rushed straight to the special baby care unit and spent almost 6 weeks there it was a scary time for us.
When was born he was diagnosed with scoliosis which had caused his ribs to be irregular and this had made his lungs underdeveloped. when he was a few months old he was given an MRI which found a bony spur coming through his spinal cord and his cord was also tethered.

He was due to get surgery when he was 1 but this was delayed due to his health and he finally got it done a few days after his 2nd birthday. He was still not walking at this point and we had been told not to encourage him too much as this may cause irreversible damage to his spinal cord..

We were told the operation would last 6 hours and there was an 80% chance that he could be paralysed from the waist down if anything went wrong. The operation went on for 8 hours and it was thankfully a success. we had been told there may have been some damage there already but only time would tell.

He may never walk or may not ever get control of his bladder or bowel..

so happy to say a few months later he was up and on his feet and no keeping him back. (his balance is still not great but at least hes up and about!!)

now im over the moon!!! I can happily say me wee man is now in his big boy pants and hasnt had any accidents for 2 weeks!! yea I know it may be trivial to some but im over the moon and im so proad of him I needed to share it..

Soldato
Heard a lot of horror stories from failed spinal surgeries, very glad your son went through it okay. Here's to a healthy life to both of you!

Soldato
Amazing news,I like threads like this as I don't have to ban anyone for a bad joke.

Well done little man and well done parents for being there for him :)

Caporegime
Heart braking when little people have to go through things like this, but sounds like he's coming out the other side now.

Hope you don't mind me asking but I'm a bit confused about timescales. You said he turned 5 in January and is still a bit wobbly but toilet trained, and that he had the operation when he was 2...is that right and what's the long term prognosis for such a condition?

Soldato
Glad to hear that the little guy is doing well :) my brother in law was born with all sorts of things wrong with him - scoliosis, one functioning kidney, 50% functional lungs, extra thumb, and a couple of other things. He's 24 now and he's doing very well. He's a very well adjusted, if not somewhat spoiled, and generally just a nice person, a lot of which is the result of spending so much time with other kids in hospital :)

Associate
OP
Cheers guys. yea Im just happy for him as hes came on brilliant.

Heart braking when little people have to go through things like this, but sounds like he's coming out the other side now.

Hope you don't mind me asking but I'm a bit confused about timescales. You said he turned 5 in January and is still a bit wobbly but toilet trained, and that he had the operation when he was 2...is that right and what's the long term prognosis for such a condition?
Yip he had the operation a few days after his 2nd birthday in 2014 at the time he wasn't walking he started walking around May that year.
We had been worried regards toilet training as he had never showed any interest or wouldn't tell you if he was wet or soiled until recently.
The Surgeon had said this could be due to damage to the spinal cord so we have been worried it would never happen.

His balance isint the best but Hes a tiny wee thing with nothing to him and his legs can just go from under him without any warning and the Surgeon says this is something that may never go away.

He needs to wear a spinal brace for up to 20 hours a day to try and stop the curve in his spine from getting worse.
Weve been told he will need more spinal surgery as he gets older to try and straighten his spine.

When hes lying in his bed at night he can get into a position that he cant get out off and he needs help to sort himself out.

so yea its still ongoing and he needs a lot of support but hes such a pleasure and happy wee chap he keeps me going.

Back
Top Bottom