£2k budget, let talk Celica T-Sport or alternatives

Soldato
Had both corolla and Celica t sports. Celica is the better drivers car and the corolla still lots of fun but not as quite as much in exchange for being more practical.

something quite special about the celicas handling, come off a corner in 2nd and hit lift and it grips and goes with a great noise too, the last time I ever took out a car for a drive with no where to go. Good times.

Soldato
OP
something quite special about the celicas handling, come off a corner in 2nd and hit lift and it grips and goes with a great noise too, the last time I ever took out a car for a drive with no where to go. Good times.

That's what I'm looking for again tbh, after years of dull cars I want something a bit fun but need some boot space.

Prices seem all over the place though, a lot want extra saying its a "future classic" but being a potential anything doesn't add value in my eyes.

Associate
EP3 CTRs aren't losing value so if you sell it on in a years time it'll probably be worth the same or maybe more if you're lucky.

Caporegime
Corolla T-Sports on the other hand seem to be going up in value. Mine was worth about £1800 when I got rid about a year ago. I'd be hard pressed to replace it with a similar example and have change from £2400. Don't know what Celica prices are doing.

Soldato
Well... The Celica failed the MOT, but they managed to get the work done and managed to get it through the end so I'm please with that

Its been an expensive day though!

Did some things before the MOT that I knew needed doing

New windscreen as mine took a stone on the motorway a couple of days ago and had a large crack in it

New tyre as mine had a nail in it. They said the tracking was pretty bad so I got that done, and to be fair, its noticeably improved so that's good.

Got new number plates as mine were in bad shape, probably wouldn't go through MOT

Changed number plate bulb bulb, which whilst not costing me much in the way of money, I paid with a fair bit of blood as its surprisingly fiddly to change and there is sharp sheet metal in annoying places.

Took it in for MOT, it failed on emissions and blowing backbox. they had a replacement backbox on the shelf which was good, got that fitted and it passed the emissions.

Its cost me just short of £600 today lol. But I guess windscreen, exhaust and tyres are all consumables, so cant really blame the car

Over my ownership, the only other jobs needing doing it it have been new battery, and a bent caliper slider, so cant really complain.

* Full disclosure.

Other issues I have been ignoring

It uses more oil that I would like. Aprox 1 pint every 3 months (3k miles or so for me) *EDIT - maybe its a little more than that I'm not too sure*. I guess this is normal enough, but it would be nice if it didn't use any.

Engine management light has been on since I purchased it, I just clear it before MOTs, and it comes back after a week or two. Reading the fault code and doing some googling has lead me to belive its a problem with the "secondary air pump" which from what I can work out, pump air into the exhaust system to clear up cold start emissions. It looks like a pain to do, and honestly I'm not sure I really care enough about it to ever do it.

One of the headlights condensates on the inside in the winter. I've been meaning to get a replacement, but never seam to get round to it

That's my 100% honest write up on the reliability side of things

I'll say a few words about how I feel about the car, but by no means do I claim to be some kind of car connoisseur, my car history is modest so take from it what you will.

The seating position and feel of being behind the wheel is fantastic! The car is quite old now and the interior is looking a bit tired in places, but all the buttons still do what they are meant to do, and all the buttons, switches, gearbox etc still feel like I imagine they would out of the factory. The handling is pretty decent for a FWD car. Lift is a lot of fun, though its annoying to be caught in the wrong gear. Dropping down from 6th to 3rd on the motorway feels pretty stupid.

Its not the best motorway car in the world. Its LOUD in the cabin, it doesn't have the low down torque, though it still has "adequate" power in 6th on the motorway, you might just keep up with the 2.0TDI crew if you leave it in 6th, but probably not quite. Whilst the gear change feels absolutely amazing, changing from 2nd to 3rd can be a pain, you will frequently miss and hit the bit between 1st and 3rd when trying to change quick which can be a pain, though after a long time, I eventually learnt to take it a touch slower, and now I never miss.

You can play with things like older civic type Rs, all the VAG 1.8t things those kind of cars and there's pretty much nothing in it.

That's about it! The car is a lot of fun and I think I picked mine up for £1,100 (with nasty paintwork) its been by far my favourite car I've ever owned and if I had the chance to go back in time and get something else, I wouldn't.

Caporegime
Neither of mine used a drop of oil, the Corolla leaked oil from an oil seal on the back of the engine though, which made me think it was burning oil for a while. Sure yours isn't just leaking? :)

Some do burn a small amount of oil though.

Soldato
Its possible. My last car leaked a stupid amount of oil, so my driveway and my parking space at work are stained from oil so its hard to tell :D

Maybe I'll put some cardboard under it some time and check

Associate
I have a Celica T sport at the minute, lovely looking car and the lift is addictive!
The car drives great and I dont think it suffers massively from a lack of torque low down, possibly against newer turbo petrol and diesels yes! My biggest gripe with the car is my head hitting the roof, I'm 6ft1 and there is not a lot of headroom at all.
I pad 3k for a very low mileage full service history and in very good condition example.
handling is fantastic just grips and grips, the brakes are not great, they have a spongy pedal and don't bite as hard as other cars I've had previously or driven, I did test drive a few Celica t sports and they all suffered with a spongy brake pedal.
overall its a great car I would recommend them definitely

Back
Top Bottom