**2017 Lions tour to New Zealand**

Soldato
Some good performances from the Lions but generally an improved but average performance. Got the rub from the referee at times and their superior bench made sure they kept it under control.

Don't know if Liam Williams has done hi,self any favours which is a shame he is really dangerous. Watson played well and has done his chances no harm. George was good as was Vuinapola. I reckon the Saracens are dragging the Lions with them at times.

Soldato
Encouraging performance against what was close to the AB's pack. Crusaders scrum and lineout were disrupted allowing the Lions to boss territory and possession. Murray and Farrell's kicking was top notch. Impressed with the way the rejigged back line performed defensively after the enforced substitutions. Keeping the Crusaders down to just 3 points is a mighty effort but the Lions will need to start converting some of the try scoring chances they are creating.
The NZ backline is that much better that they can easily still win behind a beaten pack.

Anyone else think that there are already 'probables' and 'possibles' Lions squads for weekend and midweek matches?

Associate
Barnes reckoned Ken Owens is the test starter at hooker, I'm inclined to suggest Jamie George.

Also how bad is the refereeing of the line out both sides have thrown clearly not straight throws to be waved on.

Much better match for Lions and a better spectacle.

What the hell was that scrum penalty against the Crusaders for?

Thought the Lions got away at the end with a few scrums but the Crusaders early on were angling in and pushing early so they reaped what they sowed a little. All Blacks will have that sorted so I don't see us pushing them around too much barring injuries. Reckon we can still strangle them in the tight and line out assuming our starting hooker doesn't get a case of the nerves. Best needs a huge game tomorrow to restore some faith. He's a beast hunting turnovers but he needs to get his bread and butter sorted.

Noticed the last couple seasons refs have been really lenient on lineout feeds (same as scrums) where they only call them out if blatantly off. The closer to the front the throw the more they get away with it. Seen some where the front jumper is practically catching it in their chest. Reckon there must have been some directive to keep the game more free flowing and to ease up on it.

Faz, Sexton combo works really well and I don't think they're a defensive frailty. Not sure why some pundits like Guscott thinks so. Would keep them as a plan B though and not start them together again. You'd be rolling the dice on them getting injured. We lose those two guys then honestly the tour is lost!
Faz to start at the moment although Sexton could still have something to say if the magic is back.

Murray was huge I thought, just like in Irelands win against the ABs. Hope he'll stay injury free, dislocated finger aside.

Soldato
Finding it very hard to get that involved with this tour with the kick-off times. Last tour I was living in Hong Kong so had nice evening games and went to the tour opener against the baa baas. Haven't even got the shirt out yet!

Kinda finding watching our youngsters play in Argentina more interesting so far.

Soldato
Even the second and third choice Highlanders played with conviction and skill of the first choices. I loved that they wanted to play as much rugby as they could and had the skill to do so. The Lions had moments individuals played well but not a very complete performance. Awful decision making to allow Daky to go for goal wasted 2 or 3 minutes which would have been better spent grinding out a penalty in the Highlanders 22.

Although fair play to the Kiwis unlike the Aussie teams 4 years ago they are putting out competitive sides.

Associate
They've been absorbing games that's for sure! Lions for the first 4-5 games are essentially putting out new teams that as a whole have not played together, although starting to get pockets which have.
You've got opponents treating the match as their cup finals, you could see how much the win meant to the Highlanders. The Lions have players desperate to prove their worth and probably over reaching on occasion where with their club/country they wouldn't and then on the flip side some are so scared of making mistakes they're playing like they are shackled.

Not the purest rugby but definitely absorbing!

Few players put themselves out of contention I think last night. Back three were all poor although Payne is getting the brunt of the criticism which is unfair. Haskell and Cole probably ruled themselves out of contention and a few others were average. Henshaw and Stander got through a lot of work but gotta feel for Lawes. He didn't know what planet he was on after that bang to the head, hope he's ok.

Associate
I've enjoyed the matches I've seen this far (think I've only seen two of them though) as they have been fairly close and not too one sided or so and it have been some decent rugby as well. The good thing for me is that I can watch them after getting home from work in the mornings and have breakfast while sitting back watching the rugby :p

Man of Honour
So Gatland has announced six additions for the Lions squad with Kristian Dacey, Tomas Francis, Cory Hill and Gareth Davies from Wales plus Allan Dell and Finn Russell from Scotland all called up to the Lions squad. Part of his reasoning is that the Scottish and Welsh players are already touring in the area so have acclimatised while the English players are in Argentina and the Irish are in Japan so it would take some time to get them across and acclimatised - I can see some sort of logic there but it seems a bit to go against the point of the Lions if you're not picking the best but simply picking the best of the closest. Definitely showing my ignorance here but how good are the Welsh quartet? I can't say I recognise most of the names from the most recent Six Nations but that doesn't necessarily mean much.

And I know it's not really for this thread but Finn Russell at least is in some good form with Scotland having beaten Australia 24-19 today after two recent one point losses and with what you might generously call a not first choice squad.

Soldato
Finn Russell is the only call up there with any merit. Just as well really. He is one injury (to Sexton or Biggar) away from being on the bench for the first test.
The rest are just there as mobile tackle bags in training and to bulk out the bench for the final midweek game. ( Can't see them being involved tuesday unless there's an injury crisis we're not aware of.)

Strong effort from the probables again today. Even if the weather had been better the dominance the pack had would have nullified the dangerous Maori back line. Bring on next Saturday!

Last edited:
Soldato
Gatland with his Welsh "Training Camp" has now completely devalued the Lions entirely, wtf does Joe Launchberry have to do to get on the plane to NZ, yet again he had a storming game for England and was integral to them winning the series against Argentina 2-0. Gatland is a prize tool and Hansen and the NZ press are laughing at him.

Soldato
In fairness none of the call ups are second rows. Although I suspect Launchbury might be a better prop than Francis if it came to it. :D

Lions team to face Chiefs:

L Williams (Wales); J Nowell (England), J Payne (Ireland), R Henshaw (Ireland), E Daly (England); D Biggar (Wales), G Laidlaw (Scotland); J Marler (England), R Best (Ireland), D Cole (England), I Henderson (Ireland), C Lawes (England), J Haskell (England), J Tipuric (Wales), C Stander (Ireland).

Replacements:

K Dacey (Wales), A Dell (Scotland), T Francis (Wales), C Hill (Wales), AW Jones (Wales), G Davies (Wales), F Russell (Scotland), T Seymour (Scotland)

Shows what I know. All the recent call ups go straight onto the bench for the Chiefs game.
It was a squad of 41. Two have departed injured. So now a pool of 45. Near enough two full match day squads.
Was it always the intention to wrap the test squad in cotton wool the week prior? If so why leave it to the last minute to make the call ups to bulk out the mid-week team?
I assume that a number of the England boys will be taking some holiday time in the Pacific now the Argentina tour is over. Probably bring a pair of boots with them. Just in case.

Soldato
Well I hope we can infer George is the starting hooker, which I approve of. I feel a bit for Lawes being in the also rans because he has played as well as I can remember this tour his ball carrying and offloading are much much better today than they were under Lancaster. No surprise on Nowell I really rate him but he's had a dog of a tour by his own high standards. It's joke though that Halfpenny may end up test fullback. Watson would be my choice everyday out of the two likely's on current form. Daly hasn't had much of a chance to shine but might still be in contention for later tests.

Finn Russell finally pulls on a Lions shirt when he should have been on the plane to start with has had a brilliant season played well in the 6N and offers a change of game that neither Sexton, Farrell or Biggar can bring.

Apart from Biggar whom I've gone off big time in the last 2 years I reckon that's a fairly decent team

Soldato
Alun Wyn ****ing Jones :confused: :rolleyes:

There are 2 second rows not even on the Tour who are better than him let alone the three on it who aren't starting.

Don't think I'll be making any special effort to get up tomorrow to watch this now..................

Caporegime
Alun Wyn ****ing Jones :confused: :rolleyes:

There are 2 second rows not even on the Tour who are better than him let alone the three on it who aren't starting.

Don't think I'll be making any special effort to get up tomorrow to watch this now..................
Totally agree. The squad selection has been really poor. It's almost like there's some sort of bias.
One of the commentators during the second England Argentina test summed it up well.
"We're lucky that Ford and Launchbury are here, there is no doubt they're in the top five of their respective positions in the UK and Ireland and probably the world".
I've said before I'm not a fan of ford but I thought he was outstanding and really saw the reason for picking him.

Soldato
On the topic of Locks does anyone else think that Courtney Lawes has been a revelation on this tour. I've seen carrying and passing I didn't think he was capable of and his disruption at the lineout has been great. Better thank other second row on tour for me.

Back
Top Bottom