Poll: European Grand Prix 2017, Baku - Race 8/20

Rate the 2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Also, just want to point out how this track, as a street circuit, makes Monaco even more redundant.

Tight track limits. Varying track temps. Overtaking places. Puts Monaco to shame in my opinion.

Soldato
If this was the other way around and Hamilton ran into the back of Vettel those FOM overlays would have been seen as proof that the FIA was covering it up to benefit Ferrari and Vettel.

Vettel into the back of Hamilton was a racing incident. Im confident no further action would have been taken if it had of ended there.

Vettel's reaction was poorly judged. In the heat of the moment its easily done, though. In all honesty I think the 10 second penalty was the right choice on the day.

Soldato
This exactly, he loses it in the car quite a bit. think russia and mexico last year aswell. mans got temper problems.

It's beyond that, he's mentally unstable. Flies off the handle at the slightest issue.

If hurling abuse at Charlie Whiting and deliberately driving into another driver doesn't warrant a race ban then what the hell does?! Ok so he has 9 points but he's not going to get banned. The points system and F1 in general has been rendered a farce by this. Vettel should be disqualified from that race and/or receive a one race ban and also be charged with bringing the sport into disrepute.

Man of Honour
AMuS have reported that the stewards wanted to disqualify Vettel, but didn't want to interfere in the championship fight.

So you can drive like a utter *ladies front bottom* as long as you're in the championship fight... :rolleyes:

Soldato
AMuS have reported that the stewards wanted to disqualify Vettel, but didn't want to interfere in the championship fight.

So you can drive like a utter *ladies front bottom* as long as you're in the championship fight... :rolleyes:

I'm seriously struggling to think of any other form of motorsport that's regulated as farcically as F1.

Pinnacle of motorsport? Give me strength.

Man of Honour

Doesn't surprise me. Anyone else would have been disqualified. Really bad example to set.

Soldato
Doesn't warrant a race ban at all. See previous incident involving Maldonado.

It's beyond that, he's mentally unstable. Flies off the handle at the slightest issue.

If hurling abuse at Charlie Whiting and deliberately driving into another driver doesn't warrant a race ban then what the hell does?! Ok so he has 9 points but he's not going to get banned. The points system and F1 in general has been rendered a farce by this. Vettel should be disqualified from that race and/or receive a one race ban and also be charged with bringing the sport into disrepute.

Soldato

So they've just admitted they gave Vettel a lesser punishment than they would have given any other driver for the same offence. How's that for consistent stewarding?

Caporegime
The reactions here are just as entertaining as the race was, race bans, lol.

Vettel was stupid for driving into Hamilton though, he proper lost it.

So they've just admitted they gave Vettel a lesser punishment than they would have given any other driver for the same offence. How's that for consistent stewarding?

Hold your prancing horses until that's ever confirmed.

Soldato
Doesn't warrant a race ban at all. See previous incident involving Maldonado.

Comparisons with other incidents are irrelevant. Maldonado could well have deserved one too.

If deliberately crashing into another driver doesn't warrant a ban, what does exactly?

Look what happened to Briatore and Symonds when they were found guilty of engineering a deliberate accident and that didn't involve another driver. Ok this was very low speed but where do you draw the line? The censure Renault received was due to them being found guilty of trying to affect the result of the race and thus effectively 'cheat'. You could easily argue that Vettel's actions were also calculated to try to damage Hamilton's car, figuring that the damage to his wing would result in him losing a lot of places to Hamilton so he may as well try to 'take him out'.

Of course proving intent is almost impossible so we're reduced to addressing the actions themselves. Deliberately, blatantly causing an accident is about as serious as it gets.

Caporegime

Except they did interfere in the championship fight by not disqualifying him. Ultimately if you drive like a **** while other drivers follow the rules you don't deserve to get points. The fact is instead of Hamilton closing the gap Vettel extended his lead because they chose to unfairly administer the rules.

Also Vettel got off scot free because he got to change his wing in the red flag while Hamilton didn't get his damage repaired, the fiddled with it but they couldn't repair it at all and he was clearly struggling for pace where earlier in the race he was undoubtedly faster than Vettel. Most importantly he dropped loads of time in S2 where Hamilton was absolutely killing everywhere and where diffuser damage would show up the most. Yes following rather than in clean air but Vettel extended the gap in S2 even when he was following closely behind other cars.

Anyway what about Sainz, anyone else getting bored of the whining little ****. Massively unaware of what is going on around him. Instantly blamed Kvyat for coming back on like a mad man. In reality he saw Kvyat go off and every single other driver in the world would have come back on the same way. Not only that he went tight to the wall and wasn't remotely close to Sainz. If Sainz didn't react at all, there wouldn't have been contact. Sainz monumentally over reacted, instead of just pulling a little to his left if he felt he needed the room he instead spun his car completely. Like Palmer and others he just blames anyone but himself for everything and I think has shown a distinct lack of race craft since joining F1. yes he's made a few nice moves but he's made so many bone headed ones.

On Vettel overall, I think his driving while fast has been so mistake prone the last few years. He was flat out poor against Ricciardo in his last year at RBR. The past couple of years have been full of incidents with him getting involved in stupid turn 1 incidents with Kimi, Verstappen and Kvyat. In Spa I think it was Kimi and verstappen were inside him and he cut into Kimi which caused contact with Verstappen. Just ignorant and stupid driving, he started wide in T1 and should have stayed wide, assume there could be a car up the inside but he didn't. Both him and Kimi were at fault in Hungary, Kimi swung back across assuming again there was no one inside Vettel, but Vettel also cut into Kvyat anyway. His screaming at Charlie, his inability to see Hamilton would be slow before taking turn 16 even though he'd done the same thing at the previous restart, then the absolutely unacceptable outburst following what was entirely his mistake. I'm getting pretty fed up with all the incidents Seb is getting in to which just seem stupid and mostly very avoidable.

I think it's happening with a lot of drivers though, people particularly at the start who change lines through T1. Start wide, at the start stay wide, if you're inside, stay inside, if you're in the middle stay in the middle. I forget who cut off Bottas was it in Australia or somewhere after that, he was forced to basically go off track as someone cut inside despite being in the middle of the track entering the corner. Sainz on Grosjean in Canada, it seems to be happening so often and with fairly dangerous consequences. It's what Grosjean did in Spa but that resulted in such a bad crash he got banned while Sainz does something equally stupid and gets a minor penalty because a championship challenger wasn't taken out.

Soldato
I thought the race was pretty good, bit of a pain waiting for debris to be cleaned up, lots of silly incidents.

I didn't like Vettel but hadn't minded him so much recently and was even started to like him. I'm a LH fan and at the time I thought Vettel had accidentally bumped him as he wasn't watching what he was doing, but in the interviews he won't even acknowledge it and completely avoids the question about whether it was deliberate. I lost more respect for him after today.

Gutted that a loose headrest cost Lewis the win today, he's really on form at the moment, hope it continues.

Lots of others having some bad luck too lately, Kimi for instance has some bad luck.

Caporegime
Should have been disqualified for the bump. He basically got road rage. What message does that send to young drivers.

Great race though!

Caporegime
Should have been disqualified for the bump. He basically got road rage. What message does that send to young drivers.

Great race though!

Exactly. Anything like this should be an immediate disqualification.

It sets an alarming precedent that you can deliberately ram your car into someone else's and only get a 10 second stop/go. What makes it worse is that they were still under safety car conditions and Vettel only has himself to blame for going into the back of Lewis anyway!

Back
Top Bottom