Metal Gear Solid. The Phantom pain.

Associate
This utterly destroyed the game for me too. Happily pootling about in my single player game then find you've been raided by some randoms. Whose bloody idea was this??

I'm believe you can not do one of the missions/tutorials and it doesn't activate the online FOB infiltration stuff, but I think it severely limits your ability to expand your base if you choose not to do this mission/tutorial. To have a single player game stunted by this online crap is baffling.

Soldato
Just change it to offline?

I played the game offline the first time, and didn't even know what FOB was until I played the game for a second time.

You hardly lose anything anyway.

Associate
I was hardly ever raided when I played and collected soldiers and resources much faster than they were ever taken.

There are much worse things about this game than the forced FOB, like the development grind, lack of well designed missions possibly due to the transition to open world. The narrative was poor and unfinished, told primarily through audio tapes, leaving me with no emotional attachment to any of the characters or events unlike the previous MGS titles.

The stealth mechanics are good and definitely put to shame other games in the genre, but it still has missing features from the previous MGS titles that were interesting and fun. I have no desire to go and replay it even after installing mods to make it more challenging.

Associate
Most jarring for me in my first and only (so far) play through was that I had decided very early on to go full-on stealth, and all my tools and weapons and the development thereof reflected this. Then missions pop up that require you to use minigums and rocket launchers, none of which I have developed or have available) with no option of a sneaky, tactical approach. Very poor design.

Soldato
Pighardia;30483946 said:
Just change it to offline?

When I do that most of my resources and money gets taken away as most is stored online.

I'll just have to suck it up and make sure I lock all my best soldiers. Just don't like the way they force this on you, it should just be a case of switching off the fob imo.

Soldato
I never used a rocket launcher or even knew there was a mini gun!

(BTW, you have to have a rocket launcher. It is part of the story. There is a mission dedicated to retrieving one)

Soldato
Mark A;30484234 said:
When I do that most of my resources and money gets taken away as most is stored online.

I'll just have to suck it up and make sure I lock all my best soldiers. Just don't like the way they force this on you, it should just be a case of switching off the fob imo.

I can't quite remember how it works, but I'm pretty sure the money you lose is only online money anyway?... So you can't actually spend it on anything. I might be wrong, but I think that is the case

Associate
Pighardia;30484242 said:

(BTW, you have to have a rocket launcher. It is part of the story. There is a mission dedicated to retrieving one)

I know, I know, but you get my point. If I knew I'd need some big boy toys I'd have spent some time developing better machine guns and launchers. The whole illusion of choice vanishes when you're funnelled down these little mandatory design alleyways.

"Behold our awesome stealth game! Just remember to bring an assload of explosives for the bits we won't let you stealth".

Soldato
So last night I thought i'd just do a quick mission before bed. Mission 26....

Just go through your crew removing the ones that speak a certain language to contain the virus... 30 mins of scrolling through my 1000 staff to remove the infected, then a mad dash to get through the next few missions as fast as possible.

I actually found mission 28 and 29 really easy. I would have got an S rank first time if it wasn't for the zombies knocking the old dude out of my arms and then he died for no reason. Used D-walker for the first time to beat the skulls and he destroyed them with ease. Only used him as I read not to take quiet on mission 29 as it can bug the save file. Ended up only losing 8 low ranked staff thankfully. I read up afterwards and people had lost like 300 staff, i guess they didnt bother with the quarantine.

Kinda made me realise I have been focusing on building up the motherbase too much as they probably expected people to have 100 or so staff by that point, not over 1000. I pretty much have everything developed I need now, so will start extracting just the S or A++ soldiers from now on

Ryan0r;30484255 said:
I know, I know, but you get my point. If I knew I'd need some big boy toys I'd have spent some time developing better machine guns and launchers. The whole illusion of choice vanishes when you're funnelled down these little mandatory design alleyways.

"Behold our awesome stealth game! Just remember to bring an assload of explosives for the bits we won't let you stealth".

I very rarely don't use stealth, but from other games in the series I figured i'd need rockets at some point so just developed the cheap soviet rocket launcher. There is always some sort of boss battle you can't sneak past.

Soldato
Almost bought this yesterday. Is it really as good as the reviews say it is?

Seems to be getting 9/10 & 10/10 for reviews and described as a 'masterpiece'. Really?

I haven't played many MGS games but I find games such as this and Hitman a bit of a grind.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well if you aren't into stealth games you probably wont like it. You can just play it without using stealth, but that isnt the most rewarding way to play it imo. It could have been a masterpiece, but it feels like the development was cut short of realizing it. It needed more story like the earlier games and a more varied environment and the decision to use keither instead of the original voice actor and almost turn him into a silent protagonist was a mistake. Some of the missions become a bit repetitive after a while, especially later on when you have decent kit. But all that said I absolutely loved it and got a good hundred or so hours out of it.

hux

hux

Soldato
Not long got this and have to say I love it.

Been pining for a more involved game, deus ex scratched that itch but long since finished it.

Mgsv is filling that little gaming void, love the little homages to previous mgs titles.

Caporegime
I found this game seriously repetitive and got boring fast. I much prefered ghost recon wildlands. I honestly wouldn't recommend this game.
My thoughts exactly. Endlessly repetitive. Soulless. Not a trace of the MGS of old. Lots of "busy work" which is dull as dishwater. All the missions are practically the same. There's no humour. There's no five hours of cut-scenes. The characters aren't interesting.

It's made worse by the fact that the game's primary method of telling the player what's going on is via audio logs (cassette tapes), and two of the main characters voices are so similar that you can't even tell which one of them is talking (Miller/Ocelot).

I'm a MGS fan. MGS3 is a masterpiece. Four was the beginning of the decline. Five is just a chore, and a bore.

MGS:Rising was a great spin off game. Loved that one.

Soldato
My thoughts exactly. Endlessly repetitive. Soulless. Not a trace of the MGS of old. Lots of "busy work" which is dull as dishwater. All the missions are practically the same. There's no humour. There's no five hours of cut-scenes. The characters aren't interesting.

It's made worse by the fact that the game's primary method of telling the player what's going on is via audio logs (cassette tapes), and two of the main characters voices are so similar that you can't even tell which one of them is talking (Miller/Ocelot).

I'm a MGS fan. MGS3 is a masterpiece. Four was the beginning of the decline. Five is just a chore, and a bore.

MGS:Rising was a great spin off game. Loved that one.

I don't agree 100% on MSGV, I thought it was a great game, not replayable per se but definately one of the better titles this generation albeit a weak MGS title.

You're bang on the money about MSG3 though, 5 gets a ton of praise for it's advanced AI and the creativity you can use to complete objectives and get past the opposition... Little do people realise you could do almost the exact same things in MGS3 15 years ago! The graphics still hold up too in the HD versions, what a masterpiece.

Soldato
I wish you could get MGS3 on steam, i'd love the entire collection on PC. It looks like you can get it for the Nvidia Shield, so maybe down the line its possible it could come to PC?

I'm gutted that the franchise is now being destroyed with MGS survive :(. No chance of a future game combining the gameplay and open world of MGS5, with the story/cut scene heavy elements from the older games to create the perfect game now. Instead we get reused assets and zombies...

Associate
Kojima and konami went seperate ways. Its over for MGS. I dont think the open world in V suited the gameplay and cinematic story that we would have seen in previous games. MGS3 was the peak . IV on PS3 was great but you could see it was starting to go a different direction. If phantom pain didnt have the MGS tag I probably would not have completed it. MGS on ps1 I still occasionally replay it. Pity we couldnt get a version of that game with todays graphical quality.

Soldato

I loved MGS5 some of it was repetitive and that big Robot thing was a PITA to destroy. If you didnt use a rocket launcher how did you blow up the tanks ? Especially the missions where you have to destroy 4 or 5 in a time limit ?

The offline raids never bothered me too much as if you get your base defences just right then raiders have no chance. A few times when I was online when I got raided I just sat up high with my sniper rifle, waited for the guy to come closer and toyed with them a bit then POW headshot. Whenever the odd chance a experienced raider got me I would just return the compliment and raid their base. Amazes me these players with loads of experience had weak bases.

Back
Top Bottom