How long was your other half in labour.

Associate
My wife was 48 hours. Started labouring Thursday at 9pm, waters broke at 1am Friday, at hospital 4am told to go home as only at 1 cm and to be back in 24 hours if no progress. Labour stopped so spent the day walking and all the exercises they suggested but no luck so got 4 hours sleep and back at hospital 4am Saturday and put on hormone drip at 7am. and baby out was at 9:28pm on Saturday. Had gas and air and an epidural (which didn't take on the left). Only thing on the birthplan that didn't change was the name if it was a girl.

Must add the midwife we had was brilliant, only left her side for 40 min over a 12 hour shift. And she was back in the next afternoon when we left so managed to get her some flowers and sweets.

Soldato
After birth...
24edn4y.jpg

Soldato
Went in at 10pm on a Friday night. She got sent home at midnight as she wasn't dilated enough. She went to bed and slept until 11am. She started feeling funny so I took her back in. Walked through the door of the maternity ward, she got about 10 metres down and collapsed, put on a bed in nearest room and they examined her and she was fully dilated. About an hour later the little one popped out.

Only my wife could sleep through labour!!!!

Associate
The wife was in labour for 8 hours with our wee boy and didn't get the chance to go into labour with out Abby as she was emergency sectioned 5 weeks early.

All good though.

Permabanned
Went in at 10pm on a Friday night. She got sent home at midnight as she wasn't dilated enough. She went to bed and slept until 11am. She started feeling funny so I took her back in. Walked through the door of the maternity ward, she got about 10 metres down and collapsed, put on a bed in nearest room and they examined her and she was fully dilated. About an hour later the little one popped out.

Only my wife could sleep through labour!!!!

My wife slept through hers as well! She had plenty of drugs and they had to wake her up to push then she would snooze in between contractions! Took about 6 hours altogether.

Man of Honour
We are consultant lead just now (first pregnancy) and I think we are essentially going to be asked whether we want a section or not.... As opposed to them telling us what they suggest! :(

Would all of you who have been through this jump at the chance to have a section scheduled if offered or would you and your other half's take the chance of natural birth if it was possible? In proper limbo about this.

I'd leave it entirely up to her. There are many ways in which a partner is part of the process, but the physical aspect of the birth itself isn't one of them. That's all her. Even if it's a c-section and she's not really involved in it, the direct physical results will be all her.

I think there's a trend to see a c-section as an easier option, but I'm far from convinced that's always the case. You need a wide and deep cut to get a baby out - it's quite major surgery, much closer to being a controlled disembowlment than a minor thing.

Soldato
Not more than a couple of hours each time. I almost missed the birth of my second child as I had to drop my daughter off at nursery, made it with 15min to spare, in which case it wasn't much more than an hour.

Soldato
We are consultant lead just now (first pregnancy) and I think we are essentially going to be asked whether we want a section or not.... As opposed to them telling us what they suggest! :(

Would all of you who have been through this jump at the chance to have a section scheduled if offered or would you and your other half's take the chance of natural birth if it was possible? In proper limbo about this.
I think you'd have to be insane to opt for a c-section unless there was some medical reason. Labour doesn't seem much fun, but Mrs Cheesyboy was bouncing around pretty well quite soon after, especially after the second one which she had at home. C-section and you're ****** for a few weeks.

Soldato
45 mins both times.
Nearly missed the first one as I could smell the curry from the hospital cafe and went to get one, with permission of course!
Came back and the head was there.

Second time, the doctor said about another 3 4 hours. She said no way it's coming, 20 mins later tada!!!

She never had any major symptoms of labour, waters broke. We went to hospital, no major contractions apart from birth.
Midwife had t seen anything like it before.

Caporegime
this thread reminded me of this article. not sure how true it is, however if you go along (with the article) it'll mean C-section will become just the standard way of giving birth.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38210837
You apparently didn't read all the way to the end of the article...

a real doctor said:
There are limits to that. So I don't expect that one day the majority of children will have to be born by [Caesarean] sections.[/qupte

Soldato
I think you'd have to be insane to opt for a c-section unless there was some medical reason. Labour doesn't seem much fun, but Mrs Cheesyboy was bouncing around pretty well quite soon after, especially after the second one which she had at home. C-section and you're ****** for a few weeks.

Mrs has had 3 kids, the first 2 natural birth, the last one c section (went into labour 2 months early and he was breach). She would happily have another child naturally, she would never want a c section again.

But then she had the first 2 without even using pain killers or gas an air, she's a mentalist.

C section meant she took ages to heal, didn't get to hug her baby straight away, ended up with a dural headache due to a botched epidural, it just ruined the whole birthing experience for her, I'm just glad her and my son were both ok.

Man of Honour
this thread reminded me of this article. not sure how true it is, however if you go along (with the article) it'll mean C-section will become just the standard way of giving birth.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38210837

That's the opposite of what's said in the article.

From the article:
"The pressing question is what's going to happen in the future?" Dr Mitteroecker said.

"I expect that this evolutionary trend will continue but perhaps only slightly and slowly.

"There are limits to that. So I don't expect that one day the majority of children will have to be born by [Caesarean] sections."

Back
Top Bottom