Neighbor purchasing land

Permabanned
I completed on a property about two months ago. There is a bit of land to the right of our house... My house is red... Land I want to purchase is yellow.

2017_07_03_09_11_23.jpg

This bit of land could probably fit a out 2 cars on it. It literally goes right up to the brick wall of my house. Nothing separated it.

I was thinking of purchasing it at some point but my next door neighbour has told me the guy across the road has put in an application to buy it to use it for the same thing. I really don't like the idea of the person across the road parking on the side of the house. It seems unfair that they could purchase it before I've even settled in. Do the council even take this into consideration when selling it? (It's an ex council area)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I really don't like the idea of the person across the road parking on the side of the house. It seems unfair that they could purchase it before I've even settled in. Do the council even take this into consideration when selling it? (It's an ex council area)
I really cant imagine that any of this will come into it, should it be offered for sale they will likely sell it to whoever offers the most for it.

Soldato
It's outside your boundary just because it's near you doesn't mean you have more right to it. Highest bidder will get it. Why not try and come to some deal where you both own enough of it to park 1 vehicle each on it.

Soldato
If the council sell it off, it will be to the highest bidder, simple as that, they have to be seen to be getting the best deal for council tax payers.
Proximity isn't a consideration at all, neither is "settling in time"

If you want it, you will have to bid for it

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I'd have thought if the purpose of the land was changed then a planning application would need to be submitted which you could attempt to oppose.

Soldato
I'd get you interest in quick but everyone is right - the land isn't yours even if its up against your wall so if he managed to buy it he can turn that into car spaces

Soldato
Both of you bidding on that piece of land seems bizarre to me, your neighbour looks like they've already got blocks down in the garden which could be used for parking and your front garden looks big enough to add a driveway and keep some grass if required.

Caporegime
It seems unfair that they could purchase it before I've even settled in. Do the council even take this into consideration when selling it? (It's an ex council area)

I'm not sure what relevance you 'settling in' has to do with anything? You've owned the property for two months now, are you able to purchase the land and if so what is stopping you from putting in a bid too?

Man of Honour
the land isn't yours even if its up against your wall so if he managed to buy it he can turn that into car spaces

There may be some considerations when it comes to car parking - the person who owns the land that our neighbouring house is on wanted to put car parking backing onto our property, as part of a plan to change the use of the land, and the council basically said if we object (which we did as it wasn't appropriate for several reason) then nope.

Associate
On a plus note at least your neighbour is trying to buy it rather than just parking their car on it. Unlike my neighbour who fenced off a strip I have been trying to buy for the last 18 months.

Permabanned
OP
I've just clicked on that if he buys it he's probably going to make room for his 4x4 and move his caravan onto this bit of land.

This is my property and the bit to the right. I would have thought he would need permission from myself to use that land for parking so close.

Screenshot_20170704_085954.png

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
He will need to have the kerb dropped to park there as well.

As mentioned above, I'm certain he will need to apply for planning to change the purpose of the land and you can oppose the plans.

If you intend to drive a vehicle over the footway into your driveway off a highway, then you will need a dropped kerb. If you do not have dropped kerb, you must not drive over the footway. If you do so, you are breaking the law and enforcement action could be taken to prevent such practice.

Associate
I've just clicked on that if he buys it he's probably going to make room for his 4x4 and move his caravan onto this bit of land.

This is my property and the bit to the right. I would have thought he would need permission from myself to use that land for parking so close.
Screenshot_20170704_085954.png

Get over it, he does'nt need your permission as you dont own it, you both have the same opportunity to purchase it. He does however need the councils permission to have change of use on it once he has purchased it. You will then have the opportunity to put a reasonable objection in against that application, but that doesnt mean to say the council will rule against it. I dont see what objection you would have though.

Don

Why would he need permission from you to park on that land? You don't have any windows overlooking the area nor does it overlook your back garden.

Stop being a hypocrite, you want to purchase the land so that you can park your own cars on it. If you want it more than him, pay more for it.

Back
Top Bottom