Celebrities you've met / seen randomly

Soldato
Hmm so a mate of mine's father ran a WHSmith in Brent Cross so got invited down there in the mid 90s to meet Mr Motivator.

Saw Armando Ianucci on the train into London Euston one morning a few months back. Saw Mark Webber on the train out of Euston one evening a few months back.

Walked home from the train station in Leighton Buzzard to see police cars and flashing lights near the station a couple of years ago. A helicopter had landed in the park next to the station to pick up a patient. There was Prince William standing outside the helicopter waiting for the patient to be brought from the ambulance.

In London a couple of summers ago a mate of mine wanted to hang out at Leicester Square to see if we could spot anyone famous. I spotted John Whittingdale MP. My mate didn't believe me.

i am interested if we have crossed paths :) do you go out in lb at all and where about in town do you live :)

Associate
I met Bradley Walsh on holiday in Devon when I was a kid, probably 20 years ago now.

I also saw Christian Benteke in my local ASDA buying a cooked chicken back when he played for Aston Villa. Massive forehead.

Associate
My taxi once got stolen by Sir Trevor McDonald. Central London Royal Ocean Racing Club ordered me one, it arrives and he bloody appears from nowhere and jumps in the other side! The git.

Soldato
Had a pint with Mani from the Stone Roses in the Cockpit in Leeds, I didn't realise who he was when I was chatting to him until one of the other lads there told me. I also met the band Alter Bridge recently, that was a meet and greet at a gig in Leeds.

I've seen Ian Botham and David Bellamy a couple of times at Darlington train station over the years.

Soldato
Had a pint with Mani from the Stone Roses in the Cockpit in Leeds, I didn't realise who he was when I was chatting to him until one of the other lads there told me. I also met the band Alter Bridge recently, that was a meet and greet at a gig in Leeds.

I've seen Ian Botham and David Bellamy a couple of times at Darlington train station over the years.

I've seen Bellamy in Durham several times. I think he's employed by the uni.

Soldato
Whilst visiting New York I walked next to a guy most people wouldn't recognise but I knew who he was and it was very very obvious from his voice.
Wallace Shawn, who played the Grand Nagus in DS9 but would be more popularly known for being the dinosaur in Toy Story. He sounds exactly the same and was on the phone next to me as I was sight seeing.

Caporegime
Living in London, quite a few.

Patrick Stewart leaving a Budgens with some groceries near Soho.
Geri Halliwell grabbed my butt when we were at the club Cherry Jam in Bayswater.
Bumped in to Jamie Oliver on the dancefloor at Chinawhite.
Saw Zoe Lucker in a pub beer garden in Walton a few weeks ago.

Soldato
Hugh Skully (used to present the antiques road show)
Steve McFadden - I think he's a total prat.
Rodney Bewes
Colin Baker
Nicola Bryant
Katy Manning

Probably a few others.

Man of Honour
i'm rubbish at spotting celebrities, and to be honest I don't really know many. So I couldn't really tell you, I don't watch much tv, and any "hollywood" celebs, I'd probably walk past without even clocking them. It's just not on my radar at all.

Just to put it into context, most of the names mentioned in this thread I have no idea who they are!

Caporegime
Hugh Grant
Rod Stewart
Katie Price
Had my fangirl moment when Snow Patrol stood/sat next to me on the central line once. All time favourite band and I had to double take when this guy sat next to me and when I realised and smiled he looked at me and smiled back! Pulled out my phone and showed the cover art for one of their albums I was currently listening to. We fist bumped, talked for a few minutes then I had to get off for my stop.

Soldato
The Queen + PP driving past Kirmington Airport in 1977
Adam Ant walking down Corporation Street in Manchester in 1986 with a leggy blond at least a foot and a half taller than him.
Peter Snow, BBC Political swing-o-meter dancer abouterer, in the Trafford Centre doing some piece to camera in about 2001
Paul Daniels + Debbee McGee + Martin Daniels in my local Pizza Hut in about 2007
John Barrowman in the audience at a play, he stood up at the interval when the lights came and remained standing so everyone could see it was him.
Bill Turnbull, BBC news man, at the same play in the audience. Kept himself to himself in comparison.
Patrick Stewart standing about 6 feet away, at another play waiting to come on. This counts cos he wasn't actually acting at that exact time :)

Associate
The current Pope came to Egypt recently, full motorcade. Was an interesting experience to witness.

The best ones I've got is bumping into Gary Lineker at Esher train station a few years back. My mate keep telling me I'd bumped into the walkers crisp man (he's not into football). Lady on the train intervened and eventually put the argument to rest, cue sudden excitement and general annoyance related to my oblivious nature.

John Terry was at a cashpoint in Esher, let me go ahead of him before he 'cleared it out'.

Associate
I once moved a bollard so Captain Sensible could get his van out, he shouted out the window 'you've been ? by the Captain' I couldn't make out what the ? was.
I was once playing a gig and heard our congas being played although I could see the guitarist who would play them was still on the guitar. I turned to see that it was the keyboard player from Level 42 banging away.
I saw Ian Hislop at the Hogarth exhibition at Tate Britain. I wangled over to eavesdrop and the woman he was with said 'you did that one on the telly', which he had.
My mother and I were in the crypt tearoom (good tearoom) at St Pauls and we were moving to go the toilet when we quickly ushered back by an official looking man. This was shortly followed by Camilla Parker-Bowles with a small retinue process by us, in some esoteric ceremony where I suspect we fulfilled a requirement for public to be witnessing it. She turned her head to smile at us. There were 4 security and you see the bulge of the body armour under their suits.
I lent Ian Charleson who played the posh one in Chariots of Fire the programme for Guys and Dolls he was in, because he hadn't seen that edition of it.
I spoke briefly to Sheila Dillon off the R4 Food Programme, scary woman, she had very nice young (female) sound recordist with her.
I heard one of Lleyton Hewitt's friends on the phone to him the day after Hewitt had won Wimbledon. I gathered Hewitt didn't like the formality and pomp of Wimbledon but it was just something you had to put up with.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seen a few at a distance but i'm not really one for approaching celebs.

A couple of exceptions of whom I did approach were Pierluigi Collina at Gatwick Airport, and Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden fame at an aviation conference (he's a qualified pilot).

Soldato
Met Jim Bowen on a cruise in 2001, no speedboat in sight unfortunately. I also got baked with former Kyuss & QOTSA drummer Alredo Hernandez who randomly crashed at my friend's house when his other band played my hometown.

Back
Top Bottom