• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Soldato
Will have a look for the RAM. Do the Mobo's support 24gb over 3 slots, or does it have to populate all 6?

I do have a 280X atm, but plan on using a Nvidia 780 instead, will this be much of a boost at all?

Soldato
I just went for 2x 8 GiB sticks. Not much benefits from triple channel anyway and DDR4 had already been released when I upgraded so I knew it wouldn't be usable in future systems anyway. As for how long the rig will last, remember that for better or worse CPU technology really hasn't moved on much, especially compared to the decade before. Hell if it wasn't for AMD you couldn't even get a system with more cores than X58 can offer without forking out a tonne of cash. I haven't yet played a game where it holds me back to the point of the game being unplayable, but I accept there are more demanding titles out there than what I normally play. I honestly think the rig will just die before it becomes unusable.

Associate
Some boards will still be triple channel mode with 4 stick (i dont understand how) im still using a EX58-UD5 with 4 * 4GB (originally tried 6 * 4GB, didnt seem to like that)

From the manual

"When enabling 3 Channel mode with three, four or six modules, it is recommended that memory
of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used.
When enabling 3 Channel mode with three memory modules, be sure to install them in the
DDR3_1, DDR3_3 and DDR3_5 sockets.
When enabling 3 Channel mode with four memory modules, be sure to install them in the
DDR3_1, DDR3_2, DDR3_3 and DDR3_5 sockets."

Soldato
I plan to use the Xeon as a stop gap when it does arrive, but how long could I get away with using one of these for? They are aged now...

Also will 12gb Ram be enough? I would prefer 24gb, but can't seem to bag that amount on the cheap...

Clock it to 4.2GHz+ and it'll last you a little while yet. It's a lot better in newer games that utilise more than a single core. I benchmarked a couple of games with my previous 6600k and things like physics scores and average FPS were similar/higher with the Xeon. Metro 2033 was the most surprising, I gained nothing but slightly better maximum fps when moving from a 3.6GHz 5650 to a 4.6GHz 6600k.

Permabanned
Any idea how many years these will be perfectly usable for?

As for the Ram, is that kit still available? Thanks :)
I suspect for a good while yet. I had my X5670 at 4.6Ghz and it was holding it's own with my similarly overclocked 3930k at the time, while in video work which I do it was out doing a 4.7Ghz overclocked 6700k. Don't believe people like Dave2150, (I wouldn't mind him posting in this thread if he gave factual information but....) The Xeon Westmere EP server chips are a great inexpensive way for those people who ALREADY own X58 boards to prolong the usable life of their systems and postpone that major upgrade/outlay.

If you want to maximise the overclocking potential try and use as few RAM sticks as possible. I was able to achieve 4.6Ghz stably with just one 8Gb stick (which was perfectly fine for my usage). Once I started filling up the slots then it would decrease. You will get more benefit from the higher Mhz than dual/triple channel.

Soldato
Cool, I can't wait to get this G3258K gone in favour of my soon to be X5650

But does anyone know if all X58 boards support triple channel over 4 Dimms?

Thanks

You'll either get triple channel + single channel or dual channel depending on the slots you use.

Soldato
Trying to find a reason to upgrade from a x5650 to AMD Ryzen, but can't see a need!

I've had this motherboard for 8 years which is pretty crazy

Same here. I suppose I'll upgrade for the same reason I went from a Q6600 to the X5650 a couple of years ago, when it can't run the graphics card fast enough.

At the moment, there isn't one modern game I run which even remotely pushes this chip.

Permabanned
Same here. I suppose I'll upgrade for the same reason I went from a Q6600 to the X5650 a couple of years ago, when it can't run the graphics card fast enough.

At the moment, there isn't one modern game I run which even remotely pushes this chip.

exactly that, ignore the benchmarks and reviews of modern chips.
these old boys still rock especially when OC a bit.

Soldato

I moved from a QX9650 to an i7 920 back in 2009 and was pretty annoyed that there was no real performance increase

Upgrade didn't "cost" me anything as I sold the QX9650 2nd hand for more than the 920 was new!

But in retrospect, spending £200 on a motherboard in 2009 has been the best, longest term PC upgrade I've made

Lack of USB3 and SATA2 is annoying, but that in itself is no reason to upgrade.

Soldato
an upgrade to Ryzen 8 core isn't a bad shout for these chips if you have the cash spare. Although we're still at the point where money is better placed into the GPU for gaming.

Soldato
My transition of a Pentium G3258K to Xeon X5650 build is taking shape slowly.

I have only been able to manage to do a bit each day due to time constraints.

OVHFonD.jpg

DvqkrKI.jpg
  • Intel Xeon 5650
  • Noctua D15 Cooler
  • Asus P6X58D-E
  • Corsair Dominator DDR3 12GB (6x2GB)
  • EVGA GTX 780 Dual Classified
  • Gamemax Draco RGB Case - Tempered Glass
  • Coolermaster G650M Hybrid Modular 650w PSU
I intend to whack a couple of 256gb SSD in and set them up in RAID0 Mode and then have a 1tb HDD as storage.

I do need to remove the HSF at some point as the Fan is on the wrong Header, SYSFAN instead of CPU Fan :o

I do hope all this hassle has been worth it :p

Back
Top Bottom