British Blue Shorthair Cats

Caporegime
Yep, my BSH was fat and lazy. Lovely personality, but not in any way a lap cat (BSH tend not to be). He will always want to be near you, follow you from room to room, but just not a cuddly breed compared to the ragdolls and moggies I've met.

Soldato
Keeping a cat indoors in a flat :/. So cruel.

it depends on the cat. would you let a blind cat outside in the middle of a city?

at least the op is aware of his situation and is trying to get a cat that is ok with being kept inside.

we had a white cat, a kilowatt bulb of loving affection but deaf as a post, we really should have kept him inside but he was a roamer, and needed to go out.

he was run over by a car at less than a year old, left do die in a bloody mess in our neighbors garden had they not the heart to come and tell my mother who managed to get him to a vet for the necessary injection.

to this day i wish i'd done the "cruel" thing and forced him to stay indoors, he would have learned to cope and would have spent more than half his life as a happy cat, rather than the emaciated stray we took him in as.

Last edited:
Soldato
No one has even mentioned deaf of blind cats, yet you want to change what I've said to be based around that scenario.

It has nothing to do with this thread. Just move on.

you stated as a blanket statement that keeping a cat indoors only in a flat was cruelty, i provided an example and indeed anecdotal evidence of how this is now always the case, how is this not a relevant response?

the op is asking about a specific breed he feels fits his needs- ie an indoor only cat that cannot go outside because he lives in a flat and this is impractical, again relevant that he should be aware of other options to meet his needs.

you are wrong, and have provided no argument to back up your stupid statement.

Soldato
It came up in the past, there are a few users on here who view indoor cats as animal cruetly, best to just ignore them, like we do with PETA :D

yeah i know, very much a case of "someone is wrong on the internet"..... :D

i agree that for many cats forcing them to stay indoors is a cruelty, but a cat raised to it, or forced into it through disease, it's no cruelty to give such a disadvantaged animal a roof over its head, food in it's bowl, a loving owner etc.

Associate
OP
thought this might create a GD debate lol

i used to think it was cruel to keep indoor cats but i know quite a few people who have indoor only cats and they are perfectly happy, ive done my research on this breed and am confident the cat will be very happy in its new home. I was looking at Bengals but realized it would be totally impractical to own one with my current living arangments

This was more to ask for peoples opinion of the cat who owns one on their personalities ect as what you read on the net is a general overview.

Caporegime
i agree that for many cats forcing them to stay indoors is a cruelty, but a cat raised to it, or forced into it through disease, it's no cruelty to give such a disadvantaged animal a roof over its head, food in it's bowl, a loving owner etc.

exactly

this is why I suggested one with FIV, it is what a friend did when she wanted a cat - she lives in a flat and works full time so wanted an indoor cat she could just keep in the flat

Back
Top Bottom