Soldato
One of the best free ones I've found is Windscribe gives you 10GB of data a month from the free version...... add this code in the "claim voucher" SOS60GBS
when you're signing up, you now have 60GB a month free for a year.

Decent enough if you're just browsing, but for downloads - even on my modest connection - that's just over 3hrs worth. You could get 'unlimited' for about £2/yr a while back, just depends how cheap/nasty you want to go.

I fell for the nordvpn hype then also tried purevpn and a couple more until I learned my lesson. The big vpn providers are surrounded by false hype, overloaded servers, flashy apps that sacrifice features for looks, poor customer support and experience ip leaks constantly. I'm now a happy user of a vpn from a small company that is just superior in every way.

You can read a bit about it here and find a few good ones but I'm sure more exist. https://restoreprivacy.com/category/reviews/

That site (while raising some genuine issues), reads almost as if it's deliberately trying to steer you to certain providers, some of the 'issues' are really minor, e.g. managed to find a few overloaded servers out of several hundred.

Strangely enough they have referral links for them all. Why would you want a referral bonus from a provider you slate?

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone having tiger problems? 3 of my tunnels have dropped and won't reconnect. I also can't terminate the connections through the web ui

Anyone having tiger problems? 3 of my tunnels have dropped and won't reconnect. I also can't terminate the connections through the web ui

Never mind. It seems to have fixed itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I still can't fault AirVPN, it's just ridiculously good.

They have excellent servers in a range of countries, with no restrictions on any of them (e.g. p2p). They have a lot of DNS and other trickery behind the scenes - for example to allow iPlayer to work on a US server as though you had a UK IP address (by using transparent double-hop connections for that particular website). They also offer tons of features such as custom port forwarding with basically as many ports as you like, with the option to tie them to rDNS and/or DDNS hostnames. You can even run servers from behind the VPN.

They do not log, at all, and everything they do is open source - even their app/client, which is called Eddie. Eddie works on Windows, Linux and Mac. How many other VPN companies have FOSS clients, as well as an active community forum full of techie-minded people and staff?

The Eddie app can connect to OpenVPN using TCP or UDP but crucially it can also further hide the connection inside SSL, SSH or even over TOR to evade ISP throttling, or hotel firewalls etc. A fantastic bit of kit, tbh. You can of course also connect using .ovpn files and any client of your choice.

AirVPN uses perfect forward secrecy (DHE with key rotation every 60 minutes, or less if you configure it so), with 4096 bit RSA keys size, AES-256-CBC Data Channel, and HMAC SHA1 Control Channel. Is your current VPN anywhere near that secure?

As for speed, I'm on VM's 200/20 package and get this without issue using Air:

Screen_Shot_2017_07_11_at_03_31_05.png

That was me downloading via newsgroups a few minutes ago. I can get that speed 24/7 without issues. What more could you ask for? It'd be cheap at twice the price tbh. I have subs to various VPNs for various reasons, but Air is my home VPN for all the reasons above. I love them. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Just a heads up for anyone who's running any docker/VM supporting environment at home
And wants to use a VPN.

Most routers (even high end domestic stuff) suck at encryption due to lack of hardware FPU's, that leaves pfsense etc. or per device connections. Some devices aren't capable of supporting OpenVPN, others really aren't suited to the work load of encrypted traffic on-top of what they do (e.g. Pi's/mips based sat/cable hardware). I noticed Binhex's pre-packaged Deluge docker came with intergrated VPN support which is nice, and more importantly Privoxy. 5 mins later my un-RAID box now acts as a VPN proxy for any device I set to use Privoxy, without the need to increase connected device count, or do encryption/decryption on each device. Bonus points for no apps, set-up working on any device that supports a proxy, no additional local client overhead and not having to use sub standard encryption to get round it, best of all, no worrying what if the kill switch functions don't work, having to bind to a specific interface etc. Chrome plugin redirects magnet links, obviously fully uncensored web browsing etc.

Currently this box only runs a few light services and CPU usage is circa 50% (N54L MS with TurionII so low end), but speeds for me have been fine on my 52mbit profile. I suspect without being made to play nice SABz doing PAR work or PMS doing transcoding could lead to connection speed issues.

Associate
I missed out on the TigerVPN offer for $29 but bought it today on Stacksocial for $45 and if I can get 2 years use out of it then I had my money's worth rather than paying for yearly subscription.

I'm using the TigerVPN app on Windows 7 and connected to US, Denver server and did a speed test but the speeds is appalling compared to my normal connection, am I doing something wrong or should I use OpenVPN?

wlggGK5.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I missed out on the TigerVPN offer for $29 but bought it today on Stacksocial for $45 and if I can get 2 years use out of it then I had my money's worth rather than paying for yearly subscription.

I'm using the TigerVPN app on Windows 7 and connected to US, Denver server and did a speed test but the speeds is appalling compared to my normal connection, am I doing something wrong or should I use OpenVPN?

wlggGK5.jpg
Try one of the European servers first. I tend to get reasonable throughout from Amsterdam and Bucharest. Do all the social stuff as well and it'll give you points you can buy more connections with.

Soldato
Unless they changed their minds since I last spoke to their CEO, TigerVPN only connects over TCP. By its nature, TCP is much slower than UDP (which almost every other VPN uses).

Associate
Unless they changed their minds since I last spoke to their CEO, TigerVPN only connects over TCP. By its nature, TCP is much slower than UDP (which almost every other VPN uses).
I have submitted a ticket to TigerVPN about the problem but using Windscribe VPN at the moment which gives you 10GB a month and the speeds are great so I'm regretting that I didn't go for Windscribe on Stacksocial for the same price.

Associate
I've had slow speeds with TigerVPN since I purchased it around 2 months ago.

Hardly used it due to this.
It has been 2 days and the speeds is still slow even the European servers so I'm thinking of getting a refund but under Stacksocial purchases it says it is non-refundable so I might open a Paypal dispute.

Soldato
I have aa question, If I use a vpn do i need to setup my router dif or will it just work from the login

It will work just from the app, no need to change anything on the router.
This means that only devices running the app will go through the VPN. Some routers allow you to enter the VPN details into the router itself so everything on your network goes through the VPN. The only issue with this is that the router isn't normally powerful enough to run the VPN so you will get much lower speeds.
It's probably easier to install the VPN app on each device you want to go through the VPN.

Associate
I'm on a 50/10 BT connection and looking for a VPN to get around geo restrictions streaming services like Hulu, which VPN (IPVanish, ExpressVPN, NordVPN, PIA or VyprVPN) would you recommend with good speeds?

Back
Top Bottom