Show us your kitty cats

Caporegime
Though I am not sure what a kitchen side is I have found a spray bottle with water worked wonders accompanied by a stern 'no' worked for me. Nowadays just the 'no' with a pointed finger is enough for Millie to understand that she is doing wrong. But you do have to catch them doing it inthe first place and of course have the spray bottle to hand.

Forgot about a spray bottle! Thanks!

Kitchen side is the worktop in the kitchen where we cook/prepare food, with the sink & hob etc. :)

Will pick up a spray bottle.

Soldato
The one thing I would be concerned about is the open toilet lid - Years ago neighbour found a injured rabbit and put it in outside toilet for night - next morning it was head down in toilet pan drowned - it couldn't back out.

We never leave ours up just in case.

It took a year or so before Holly accepted Ronnie - he adopted us and house was Hollies territory before then. They never touch but just accept each other. When they are outside though Ronnie classes it as his own and will stalk Holly - He isn't attacking but playing but she doesn't realise it so it's on her back with teeth and claws at ready.

Caporegime
Yeah we always leave the toilet lid down, normally the bathroom door shut as well. The one which jumps on the kitchen side is not that afraid of water and is a bit too curious for his own good at times so we take this precaution as standard.

Associate
This is bullying, did you introduce them over a period of time or as someone else here did 'just bung em in together?'

Hi pike is my partner yes we did just put them in together as we were told to do this by the rescue. This behaviour as seen in the videos is not constant he will go up to her and be friendly and half the time he will just ignore or lay there watching her, but then just out of nowhere does this behaviour of chasing and jumping on her. Hopefully over time they will at least tolerate each other because we wont give her up unless in very extreme circumstance.

Soldato
Hi pike is my partner yes we did just put them in together as we were told to do this by the rescue. This behaviour as seen in the videos is not constant he will go up to her and be friendly and half the time he will just ignore or lay there watching her, but then just out of nowhere does this behaviour of chasing and jumping on her. Hopefully over time they will at least tolerate each other because we wont give her up unless in very extreme circumstance.

Ah right I think I commented on an early post of your. Very strange advice from the rescue centre. Lets hope they sort things out once the kitten has grown a bit.

Don
Any help with this?

Tilly, our British Shorthair has taken to hiding away for the last week, in a box in cat tree, in corner of window and even in back of litter tray

This can be a sign of illness but we have taken her to vets for a full check and they say she is fine

Other options is problems with Ace (Bengal) , he has always bullied her and she is too nice to fight back, but when he goes near her she doesn't seem upset

Maybe the heat as all the places are cool/shaded but she is 9 years old and she hasn't done it before

Other that the "hiding" she seems fine, comes out for food, litter tray etc

Took her back to vets today as she has lost a little weight, blood tests taken

gave her some tuna earlier and she wolfed it down but was eating on 1 side of mouth, vet also said she has a bad tooth

wonder if she isn't eating properly as her main diet is dry food

Soldato
Dry food is a totally unnatural food for cats who are obligate carnivores in fact dry food was invented by pet food manufactures not for the benefit of cats but because it was easier to produce, transport and store.
The one best thing you can do for your cat is to stop feeding dry food and feed a meat based, homemade or wet diet which is consistent with the needs of a carnivore. You may find that some cats are very difficult to wean off dry food, further supporting the junk food analogy.
I would imagine that trying to eat dry food with a tooth problem would be painful at least.
Hope the blood test come back negative.

Associate
Yet another sneak attack this morning but first time it's actually been nasty in that older cat was kicking at kitten with back legs and making lots of noise, so Carl actually scruffed him to let him know that's not ok.

We are now considering the possibility of making the older cat indoor outdoor as he occasionally does go out but only when we let him, the hopes is it will give him an outlet so he won't bother the kitten so much and it will give him some much needed exercise as he's lazy and really needs it.

Does anyone think this will help? Feedback much appreciated.

Soldato
I think you will struggle to change an old cats habit and the issue probably lies with territory rather than requiring an outlet, worth a go anyway.

I can highly recommend Feliway if your older cat is stressed because of the situation.

I believe in cases like this, you are not meant to interfere in the cats interaction unless one seems to be in danger, as you need to allow the older one to establish that it is the dominant cat and master of the house. Make sure to still give a lot of attention to the older cat, its very easy to spend time with a new kitten and ignore the old pet, which certainly wont help the situation.

Associate
I think you will struggle to change an old cats habit and the issue probably lies with territory rather than requiring an outlet, worth a go anyway.

I can highly recommend Feliway if your older cat is stressed because of the situation.

I believe in cases like this, you are not meant to interfere in the cats interaction unless one seems to be in danger, as you need to allow the older one to establish that it is the dominant cat and master of the house. Make sure to still give a lot of attention to the older cat, its very easy to spend time with a new kitten and ignore the old pet, which certainly wont help the situation.

Thanks for your input, would you recommend feliway over anything else as we are currently using pet remedy which doesn't seem to be doing much. We interfered just because we were scared he was hurting the kitten, we are going to the vets today as she's due her second vaccinations so we will ask their advice aswell and see what they say, particularly regarding indoor/outdoor thing.

Soldato
I have not heard of any thing matching Feliways effectiveness. I had my doubts but i got desperate when my cat became stressed and over-grooming himself to the point where chunks of fur was missing. Purchased Feliway plug in and it worked wonders for two months until we ran out of refills. Problem started again and then stopped after we purchased another refill.

The hand spray seems a bit too potent. It might be handy in sorting out the kitten and cat if they have just fought but at the same time, it may be detrimental to use it after the fights as a sudden relief of stress after the older cat may have attacked may encourage future poor behaviour.

Associate
I have not heard of any thing matching Feliways effectiveness. I had my doubts but i got desperate when my cat became stressed and over-grooming himself to the point where chunks of fur was missing. Purchased Feliway plug in and it worked wonders for two months until we ran out of refills. Problem started again and then stopped after we purchased another refill.

The hand spray seems a bit too potent. It might be handy in sorting out the kitten and cat if they have just fought but at the same time, it may be detrimental to use it after the fights as a sudden relief of stress after the older cat may have attacked may encourage future poor behaviour.

Thanks will look into it we did come across feliway friends online and were considering getting that.

Associate
Yet another sneak attack this morning but first time it's actually been nasty in that older cat was kicking at kitten with back legs and making lots of noise, so Carl actually scruffed him to let him know that's not ok.

We are now considering the possibility of making the older cat indoor outdoor as he occasionally does go out but only when we let him, the hopes is it will give him an outlet so he won't bother the kitten so much and it will give him some much needed exercise as he's lazy and really needs it.

Does anyone think this will help? Feedback much appreciated.
I've seen mother cats playing with kittens in this same way.
One of our older cats does this to Oscar too sometimes, but it's in play as she's not using her back claws when kicking and he's quick to run around and dive on her again afterwards.
It took a couple of weeks to get to this stage though as Smudge was quite weary of him at first and would follow around keeping an eye on him.

Associate
I've seen mother cats playing with kittens in this same way.
One of our older cats does this to Oscar too sometimes, but it's in play as she's not using her back claws when kicking and he's quick to run around and dive on her again afterwards.
It took a couple of weeks to get to this stage though as Smudge was quite weary of him at first and would follow around keeping an eye on him.
So it looks worse than it is because to us it very much appeared like he was being agressive.

Associate
Did the kitten seem at all put off by it or was it just another game?
You'll know if the kitten is being hurt as it'll squeal and run/not want to play anymore.
They're tough lil buggers tho and often play rough

Back
Top Bottom